Author Topic: Motorcycle Front Forks  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Tswami

• New folks
Motorcycle Front Forks
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
I'm going to be running a 750 2 stroke in a drag frame with a solid swingarm (no rear suspension) and I'm looking for something to run up front. Are there any special considerations when trying to decide? Do I need a large diameter fork or will smaller work fine braced? After I decide how should I set up the stiffness on them? I'm familiar with setting them up for proper street riding but do I need them more rigid?

I plan on running at Loring and at Bonnevile so I'm sure the asphalt is completely different from the salt so suggestions for both are appreciated.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: Motorcycle Front Forks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
I run a CBR1000 rigid with a stock front end with stock springs no problems so far!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Tswami

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »
Maybe a picture of the bike would help a bit.

She's a long way from done but you can at least get an idea.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »

Drag frame - rigid rear, Buell S1W front forks. Laydown bikes are not uncomfortable on the salt flats.  On the paved courses like Ohio and Loring it bounces you around a bit but no enough to cause concern.  I would use a good set of inverted forks from a crotch rocket (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda). They are  plentiful and cheap enough online.

Joe

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »
Doesn't look to be a H2?

Offline Tswami

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
Thanks 55, I know its not about the looks but I was hoping to use a spoked front as well. Not a big deal, I'll do whatever gets me down the track. The steering stem has to be tiny, but I think I'll have something machined to put what I need up there.

Ransom, it is in fact an H2 motor. Thats a street H2 project behind it too. There won't be much else H2 stuff on it except the rear hub.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Because you don't need front brakes, except at over 175mph at Loring, you will have a lot less load on the front suspension.  I ran 33mm CB360 forks and rigid rear on my BSA B50 with 2" ground clearance and no problems at 119mph.  I don't think you need to go overboard, but then, they didn't call those things "widow makers" for nothing!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!