Author Topic: Can I get away with this?????  (Read 18580 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: Can I get away with this?????
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
Just 'cuz the "founding fathers" of Canada were all wannabe highbrow brits with grandiose aspirations of becoming demagogic rulers over a domain of the British Empire.... and went to the Queen with hats in hand begging to "Pretty please your Majesty, can we please have a country, huh, huh, huh?" ... instead of revolting and just taking it.... and the Queen acceded to the pleas of the wannabe demagogues.... does not mean we drink our beer like they do over in England....

It reminds me of a scene from the World's Fastest Indian".... "Bert" went into a bar and wanted a cup of tea..... one of the patrons said to the effect, "So, are you English?"

His reply was - "Dear me, NO!..... I'm NOT a POME! (pronounced paw-mee)".... and in Canada, we aren't POMEs either....

We DO as the Americans from the era of the Gold Rush (no doubt) taught us - we drink our beer cold.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 12:13:55 AM »
 Nathan, while you are but a mere pup in the inspection of LSR vehicles, it is a pleasure to have someone who has not only a fresh approach but the balls to question the status quo.
  I say this not as a blank statement to our governing body, rules or rule makers, but other than Dan Warner (whom I don't believe that I have ever met personally) you are to the best of my knowledge the only other SCTA or BNI  inspector or official to openly post on this site.
  I salute both yourself and Dan for at the very least, giving the rest of us a calm, well thought out response to our questions.
  Do I fault the others who don't seem to recognize this sites existence?  I understand the problems associated with being a volunteer and responsible for making unpopular decisions, and having to answer many questions by angst filled (for lack of a better phrase) racers, but I also feel that given the fact that we are all in this together, in a ideal World, we could be more open.
  Here is to you, Nathan, and to everyone else who makes LSR what it is............Bob

Very kind words; thank you Bob.  I guess I'm still a young fellow (31 in July) but I've been doing tech inspection for almost 15 years now (minus the time I was in the Army).  I was lucky to be born the son of the gent who was the head tech inspector for many years along with having other involvements with rules and classes.  I don't think I ever really had much of a chance to not be involved like I am now which is fine because I love it.

Now, if I can only get you to believe that we don't have a "park those who behave badly on the internet in the sun" shit-list for inspection at Speed Week, I'll know I've gotten you to turn over a new leaf!  :-D :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »
  Fastman, several years back at the Portland Swap meet I was introducing a Kiwi friend and a couple of his fellow countrymen to a few of my friends and I accidently stated that they were from (God Forbid) Austalia.
  That, sportsfans, was the starting point of a verbal tongue lashing that is still reverberating between my ears.
  Amongst other things, I learned that "Australia is nothing more than a F*cking English Penal Colony", along with many new phrases to use when in a drunken rage.
  Luckily before they put me in a pot of boiling sewage, I mentioned that I was preparing to  grill fifty bratwurst and had a ample supply (or so I thought) of cold beer.
  Within mere minutes all was forgiven, fifty brats and ALL the beer soon were also History, and they all stood up farting and belching and continued on their quest to conqure North America or what ever in the hell they were sent here for...................
                                 Bob :-D :-o :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
nathan,Glen,fastman and any other volunteer................Going back to fastmans lakester shutoff location I ask "Where SHOULD I mount my switch on the lakester?" It will have a tailcone as fastman mentioned, maybe real close to the rear shape of the Nebulous cars. Other than a chute tube there really won't be a rear surface of the car.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
As a tech inspector I just want to see that it works.

On my car (modified roadster) the batt. shut off is within drivers reach in the cockpit. When the rule required front or rear access I added a pull cable to the shut off.   
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
  John, If I am reading you correctly, both (while being independent of each other) kill EVERYTHING.  If not, I don't see how it meets the rule.
                                                     Bob
Bob...Yes..Kills everything. Picture a battery cable with 2 switches along its length. Each one will cut the power.

We could have rigged a Morse cable from driver side switch to rear,but figured a way to mount rear switch.

In case of a bad rollover type wreck, or an electrical fire or smoke, the driver could shut power off with out waiting.

JL222

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
Mike Waters fought this rule for years. His roadster now has a push off at the rear. I like "push=Off", when the car bounces on the tail the main electric is shut off too.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »
Bob Drury, Thank you for your comments about Nathan and Dan.

They are not thanked often enough.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline fastman614

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
nathan,Glen,fastman and any other volunteer................Going back to fastmans lakester shutoff location I ask "Where SHOULD I mount my switch on the lakester?" It will have a tailcone as fastman mentioned, maybe real close to the rear shape of the Nebulous cars. Other than a chute tube there really won't be a rear surface of the car.

Tman,
What you have to realize - in this life, there are many people who will always have "a better way" .... whether it is better or not... I lived under the shadow of a person pretty well ALL of my life who always had a better way!..... To his credit though, he being a machinist and owner of a well equipped machine shop, he often had far better tools etc with which to make many things.... but better tools does not make a better idea - only a more polished appearance to the same idea....

With that in mind, what you are going to have on your car is several things that the opinionaters will disagree with.... the use of a cable was also thought of in our application and the only reasons I did not end up with a cable was due to a rod being on hand, no cable being on hand, running out of time, having a clear shot through the relevant body members to install a pull/push rod.... the cable would have worked fine as well for an emergeny shut off and, in the event of a catastrophe, if the body panel was torn away, the cable would be torn away too, which would result in turning off the main disconnect. It just would not have worked so well for turning it back on unless a push/pull cable was used. But for me, unless it is mandated that I must change it, I feel fine with what I have.

Tman, good luck on your build and I hope to see you at the salt.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
  John, I like your dual power switch idea.  I think most racers don't spend enough time thinking about the safety "what if's"  and if you are looking up at the salt with for example a electric fuel pump whizzing in the background, it would have to be a heart stopping lesson in reality.         Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »
  John, I like your dual power switch idea.  I think most racers don't spend enough time thinking about the safety "what if's"  and if you are looking up at the salt with for example a electric fuel pump whizzing in the background, it would have to be a heart stopping lesson in reality.         Bob

Wasn't thinkin about having 2 swiches just added the rear one to comply with rules, but glad to have both.

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
The 444 Vesco streamliner has two, 1 in cockpit and 1 in the nose.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »

Pull cable mounted directly off the back of the car is fine Trent. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

Pull cable mounted directly off the back of the car is fine Trent. 

Had not even thought about a cable until you guys mentioned it in this thread. We have a Flaming River PULL rod on the 416 truck. I was thinking of the standard shutoff TWIST switch at the rear. This thread (thanks Jonny) has me thinking now about a pull something at the rear AND a driver accessible seconday/primary? switch in the cockpit in case I need to kill juice before any of you safety guys get to me!

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
I hate to admit this, but on the current car build.
I bought the wrong fire release cable and had to replace with longer unit.
I used the shorter one on the main switch mounted in the drivers compartment.

Yeah, I designed it that way. Totally, from the start.

John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.