Author Topic: where to get hard to find spark plugs  (Read 9716 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: where to get hard to find spark plugs
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
Yeah the website was pretty lame but I think they just worked it over. Not sure if it's any better now though.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
Vishnuatepork,

A Google search netted these:    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-racing-spark-plug-A55R-/180719022055

A more thorough search might turn up other useful bits......

Best,
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30:55 AM »
Vishnuatepork,

Champion 667/A57R from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-667-Racing-Series-Spark/dp/B0013TJVQQ

Regards,
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Fordboy!!!

The interwebs is strong in you!
Thanks for the links I am going to follow up on them asap.
(this is exactly why I love this forum!)
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
why do you think its detonation? did you pull a head off and actually look? if you think you have det using 103 its gonna melt on pump..... i gotta say if you have 300psi cranking pressure with 12to1 pistons then your cam timing is way the f off... if this is an aspirated motor 300 is way to high to make top end power, you should be in the 210 to 230 range.... i bet your torque curve falls off real fast

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 01:11:43 AM »
well I am almost 100 % shure it detonation.   It sounds like a couple of marbles in a steel bowl, when accelerating at full throttle.... light or partial throttle... not so much.  It ll be a few weeks before I am able to get back to the dyno and get it all sorted out (timing/jetting etc)

it seems to be "cured" mostly by the addition of a gallon of Xylene to the tank...gives it an approx 105 octane.  Until I can get the ignition module hooked up to advance the timing it will have to do.

and no my torque doesnt fall off fast
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:06:06 AM by Vishnuatepork »
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »
as per the dyno chart...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »
Quoting John Baechtel in Performance Automotive Engine Math  "Depending on the condition of the piston rings and valves, a healthy engine has a cranking compression between 150 and 180 psi.  A good performance engine can easily have a cranking compression more than 200 psi.  Some are a little higher and a few are much lower."

The 790cc Triumph twin standard from the factory, volumetric efficiency = 92%, 52 horsepower, 9.2 to 1 static compression ratio, 8.6 to 1 dynamic compression ratio, calculated dynamic cranking pressure = 173 psi

The 790cc Triumph is now an 865 cc engine with the following, volumetric efficiency = 109%, 84 horsepower, 10.5 to 1 static compression ratio, 9.2 to 1 dynamic compression ratio, calculated dynamic cranking pressure = 191 psi.  Measured is near this based on a bench test prior to fitting.

Volumetric efficiency calculated by PipeMax and dynamic and cranking pressures calculated using program on www.rbracing-rsr.com.  The figures are for reference.  They show that power can be had in a similar size twin without big compression.  Both engines are street motors that run on regular gas.

Determine your cranking pressure using the rbracing calculator and your inlet valve closing degrees at 0.050 info from your cam data card, the rod length from Carillo, and the bore and static compression ratio from your piston manufacturer.  This is your calculated dynamic cranking pressure.  Compare it to your measured.  Are there big differences?  If so, check your rod length, cc your head and cyl to get the actual static compression ratio, and check your cam timing.  Adjust so measured is sorta close to calculated.

Standard engine building procedure for me is to do the step in the preceding paragraph on the bench before the motor goes into the frame.  Simply hook up the compression gage and turn over the engine with the starter motor.  An engine would not be run if it had 300 psi cranking compression.  It would be taken apart and fixed.