Author Topic: where to get hard to find spark plugs  (Read 9720 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

where to get hard to find spark plugs
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »
Hey racers,

I am trying to find a side discharge plug for a motorcycle, I cant seem to discern if they are even made.
Youre probably asking why? It was recommended for my engine. 
I have tried looking for and creating part number (with ngk's numbering system), but no luck.

stats;
12mm threads
3/4" reach
prefered
is there a source for odd ball stuff like this?

Barring that, I am curious to know what kind of plugs all the "big boys"(Haybusas, and turboed 1400cc+ bikes) use?  Iridium plugs?  What kind of heat range? 

suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: where to get hard to find spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:35:40 AM »
Did you try the voodoo parts bin?  :wink:

I guess my first question is why it was recommended.  Is this an issue with piston clearance?

It just seems like an odd description.

If it's an indexing issue, there are ways around that.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:15 AM »
well....

I have 300psi of compression, and a wee bit of detonation, when under full throttle, so we are trying to rule out if the plug is getting too hot...and causing premature ignition or if its just detonation.

its a motorcycle, suzuki vx 800

I dont know enough to figure out all the sh*t thats happening, and I dont have anyone with experience with this engine (I dont think this has been done before) so I am trying to rule out x and y and z.

I had it dyno'd with Race gas, the mechanic said there wasnt any detonation (I am hoping hes right), with a 103 octane but now that its on pump gas, ....I am left trying to get it streetable, I dont care about power its now about getting it to survive.
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline maj

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
Irridium don't seem to like turbo , usually stick to the cr9 or 10 e , and index the electrode to the cooler inlet side
tried the cr9ek but had more breakdown of the spark , have some  R0045J-10 surface discharge to try

Have you tried playing with the timing on the dyno and see what it likes with the fuel your running

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
300 psi?
Sounds like you should be running it on diesel 
 :-D
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
In the past we ran a ZX10 motor that had 375 psi cranking. Ben Jordan had a "guy" at Champion that sponsored our plugs. Some of our plugs were retracted tips. I do not remember the numbers and some were engineering samples without numbers on them.  Now we buy our plugs from Rick Gold at ERC. He is always helpful and will answer questions. We found that the small tip plugs will tend to "glow" and that is never a good thing in a gas motor.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline sabat

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »
I know this might be shocking (har), but:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
Hi Vishnuatepork,

In their High Performance Heat Range Chart,  Champion Spark plug has a listing for: A series, 12mm, .750" reach, 11/16 or 18mm hex

Retracted (side) gap:      667/A57R
                                     666/A55R

Surface gap:                   664/A55V (no heat range specified for surface gap plugs)

Whether these are currently available/price, I do not know.    Happy hunting.

BTW, any "hint of detonation" will eventually kill your engine.   Figure it out and fix it.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Try Brisk spark plugs. They provide a very nice product. We are a dealer for them at my shop and use them whenever we can. Very high quality. They are very helpful if you give them a call. I would be they have something you can use.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:18 AM »
Hi Vishnuatepork,

In their High Performance Heat Range Chart,  Champion Spark plug has a listing for: A series, 12mm, .750" reach, 11/16 or 18mm hex

Retracted (side) gap:      667/A57R
                                     666/A55R

Surface gap:                   664/A55V (no heat range specified for surface gap plugs)

Whether these are currently available/price, I do not know.    Happy hunting.

BTW, any "hint of detonation" will eventually kill your engine.   Figure it out and fix it.
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Fordboy, I thank you for pointing out something I wasnt able to find, unfortunately I can only determine that the plugs listed are no longer in production... too bad I think the  664/A55V  would have met me needs perfectly.

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:24:51 AM »
Try Brisk spark plugs. They provide a very nice product. We are a dealer for them at my shop and use them whenever we can. Very high quality. They are very helpful if you give them a call. I would be they have something you can use.

Javajoe,

I did try calling Brisk directly, and they didnt have anything that met my criteria......sad it woulda been interesting to try one of their products.
I wish their website was better designed, it was a pain in the ass to navigate.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
Call Rick at ERC, he has been a Champion dealer for a long time.  In the past he has had some obsolete plugs in his inventory.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
Tony,

who or whats ERC?  my google search says its a rugby team, and a whole host of other stuff....

cheers!
alan

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
ERC is the fuel supplier for the SCTA, and Rick is the owner and is great to deal with.  http://www.ercracingfuels.com/  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:38:02 AM »
gotcha!

many thanks!