Author Topic: Pulling Grandma's license.  (Read 4318 times)

McRat

Pulling Grandma's license.
« on: May 26, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
It a hard thing to do, but at some point it must be done.
When somebody is not 100% when behind the wheel, it's time to stop.
Driving is a very serious business.

A great-grandmother was driving her 5 years great-grandson 15 miles.

When she arrived at the destination, the 5 year old was not breathing.

His head was stuck in the rolled up power window.

They got his heart beating at the destination (family had CPR experience) but it was just discovered the kid is brain dead.

The family has make a tough choice, the donor organ team is on standby.

I'm not going to say who, and it unlikely to be read by the family here, who I'm not going to criticize.  There is a pretty high % of older folk on this board, so it's significant.

But it was a struggle for us to pull grandma's keys, but luckily we did in time. 

Was this even grandma's fault?  Who knows?  But I will say I always know what my kids are doing when I'm driving.  I know when windows are rolled down or up. 

And they are always buckled up.  They know how to use power windows, however, they are never allowed to use them without permission first.

Prayers are out to the family, but I will admit the hair stands on the back of my neck when careless driving causes unnecessary injury or death.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Pulling Grandma's license.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
McRat, thank you for sharing with us. As sad as it is, unfortunatly,it has to happen. Also just as sad are the abile bodied and minded folks that should have thier keys yanked as I commute 40 mile each way to work on mostly open highway with a lot of unthinking company that I have dodge along the way.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »
This choice awaits us all.

Mom gave up without a fight, she knew the skills were decling fast. But Pop on the other hand, depleted three county junk yards off El Camino/Chevelle front clips due to lack of reflexes on the large pedal.

I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Just this month I had a friend pass, it seemed that once his driving privilege was taken he spiraled down.
Strange, just a year ago my neighbor was complaining because Herb would lay longer burnouts in his V10 than the kid could in his dads GTO.

My sincerest condolences for the 5 year old, I am sure it was a bright flame extinguished far too soon.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
Just last week an honored getleman from Burbank, CA - 101 yrs. of age - was struck and killed as he was crossing the street in front of the business he continued to run. The woman driver stated she was 91 years old for the record.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Pat, I  have an associate that works as a service advisor at a Dodge dealer. He had a young lady come in and ask if he could make a key that  WOULD NOT work in her father`s truck. ??? The reason? Dad said he`d quit driving when his truck wouldn`t go anymore.  She switched the keys on his keyring...Problem solved.  JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Crosley

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
10 yrs ago, I had a friend take away his dad's keys.  He went for a ride with his dad so his dad could "prove he could still drive fine".

After dad drove past his house twice looking for it .... after they finally  found the correct street, ran one stop sign,  the keys were taken. His dad had developing Alziemers .  On the flip side my friend's 2 brothers mo-fo'd him up each side for taking dad's keys away.  My buddy stood his ground thankfully
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

McRat

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
Saturday the boy expired.  RIP.

This was not my family, but folk I know.

With us, we did it before anyone was hurt.  There was a lot of flak from it, but it had to be done.

Offline salt27

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
When my mother was in her 20s she raced Midgets [the cars, not the people] quite successfully.
Despite that, she was a horrible driver on the street.
My brother, sister and I would find alternative ways to get places rather than chance a ride with her.
When I had offspring I forbade them to ride with her and it created a bit of a rift.
She is in her mid 80s now and I pity the person who comes between her and her keys.

My wifes father had some medical issues and the doctor had his licence revoked.
It was very hard on him but more than likely saved a life.

There is nothing fun about this and most of us will face it sooner or later.

Don

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
So sad about the kid.

A week ago I came home to a demolished fence. One of my elderly neighbors passed out, mowed my fence down, went through the street in front of mine which has a stop sign right where he went through, and drove up on the ladies lawn that lives across from me. The neighborhood school bus pickup/drop off is right in his path. Luckily no one was there. The guy doesn't drink, and had no idea what happened.
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
This will sound like a BS story but it isnt unfortunately. My ex wifes dad at 85 was stopped on Miami Beach with a dead man on the roof of his van and no idea how or when it got there.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »
My mother gave up her license at 92 amd want to move into semi-assisted living at 93 without me ever saying anything....I was very fortunate. I lost her June 9th almost a year ago. Think of her everyday and happy she could still make good decisions all the way until the end.........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
This will sound like a BS story but it isnt unfortunately. My ex wifes dad at 85 was stopped on Miami Beach with a dead man on the roof of his van and no idea how or when it got there.
Yoopers refer to that as a " weekend'...Right Slim? :evil:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.