Author Topic: Video - getting our tune on for Speedweek 2012  (Read 11282 times)

Offline dieselgeek

Re: Video - getting our tune on for Speedweek 2012
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »
Dieselgeek:

My budy owns a superflow dyno and we would like to know what system was used to capture that video with the dyno guages superimposed on the screen? Can you PM with contact info for the chassis dyno the Lee used? We would like to see if we could add that video to the dyno here in Tampa, FL

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

The data does not come from the dyno - it comes from our EFI system (in this case, a Megasquirt-3x).  I took a standard datalog, which is a .CSV file (comma separated - you can open it with Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet programs), and I used a program called RaceRender to sync up the data with the video I took on a standard HD video camera. 

Then RaceRender lets you define as many gauges as you have variables in your datalog.  The trick for the megasquirt is, you have to edit the log files a little bit by deleting one of the top two rows of data, then saving it and opening in Race Render.

Whtaever system you use needs to have a "Time" or "Seconds" field in the data also, in order to keep it sync'd to the video.    It's somewhat of a steep learning curve, took me about 3-4 hours of fiddling before I got it right.  but once it's all sync'd up, you can use any field you like or calculate new fields.  I have versions of video from that weekend that include Horsepower gauges (based off fuel burn and measured exhaust O2).

RaceRender can be found here, I think it was $45 for the pro version?  http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Features.html

I plan on adding the same data overlays to our in-car footage from Speedweek this season.

Hope that helps,
-Scott

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Video - getting our tune on for Speedweek 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
Thanks Scott:

I will pass that info along to Matt. When I showed him the viideo he was impressed. He is a former Import Champion and a big turbo guy so he loved the motor but wanted to have a video package to offer his dyno customers.

Thanks again,

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM