Author Topic: Brand new at this please help !  (Read 83889 times)

Offline taper41

Re: Brand new at this please help !
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
i've put together an inference, if its wrong let me know , if im correct it would be nice if you would confirm aswell.

theoretically if all paremeters were the same for each vehicle they should be be able to reach the same speed. if there was the same traction and a windless aread.

my thought is that a 2 wheeled vehicle would be more aerodynamic, but at the same time would not be able to withstand as much downforce or restistance as a 4 wheeled vehicle.

with that being said a 4 wheeled vehicle although not as aerodynamic can handle more power aswell could withstand greater forces that are working against the vehicle as it reaches higher speeds

am i right or totally off base
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:34:09 PM by taper41 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Yes.  And remember -- theoretical vehicles always reach theoretical speeds.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »

Well said, Professor K.  LOL

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline taper41

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »

so your agreeing with me stan?

Offline jl222

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
  If all paramaters were the same what would be the difference? You mean the same except 2 verses 4 wheels?

One of your questions was why Bville speeds were higher for streamliners than bikes.

DW answered your question and so did I, but for all out top speed 1 drive wheel can't handle the power
required.

2 wheel drive bike? There is a Jet bike that might blow everyone into the weeds :-o

JL222

Offline taper41

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
 i understand what you are saying, when i mean parameters the same im stating that variables like wind .

i figure that 2 wheels will have better aero but theoretically would never be able to withstand equal resistance of 4 wheels
meaning although they can slip through the air better, 4 wheeled vehicles can stand the higher resistance ( downforce, and opposing force) to maintain equal speed of the 2 wheeler.
wrong or right

McRat

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
I'm going to guess for a given amount of HP, 2 wheels can be made to go faster.

The lowest rolling resistance can be had with larger tires.   Try pushing a shopping cart in the dirt.

The shape to best contain a human and tallest tires is a circle, or close to it.

You would have to add frontal area to cover 4 wheels of the same dia, so you'd have to reduce the dia to get the same frontal area, unless you put them all in line.

Realistically, if the rider is going to balance the bike (not fly-by-wire, 2-wheel steering, with gyro stablization), then the lack of 2 front wheels is a serious safety drawback.  Any issue with the front tire traction, and it crashes. 

Now you COULD make a motorcycle that won't crash when the front tire slips ... 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »
Taper, why don't you tell us a little about your self and where you are from. Are you a racer and planning on building something to run in LSR? We really want to know. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
Thinking (a strain for me) this all over, I've de-dueced (32Ford?) that a one-wheel vehicle would be the winner -- all (some) things being Equal (or another sugar-substitute).

The proof is in the pudding -- let that thought jell(-O) for a while.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Thinking (a strain for me) this all over, I've de-dueced (32Ford?) that a one-wheel vehicle would be the winner -- all (some) things being Equal (or another sugar-substitute).

The proof is in the pudding -- let that thought jell(-O) for a while.

Stan Back

Only if you run it a wider course though ...   :evil:

Offline Tman

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
wHAT IF YOU ADDDED A PROPELLER?

McRat

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
On a treadmill or not?

Offline taper41

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
I'm going to guess for a given amount of HP, 2 wheels can be made to go faster.

The lowest rolling resistance can be had with larger tires.   Try pushing a shopping cart in the dirt.

The shape to best contain a human and tallest tires is a circle, or close to it.

You would have to add frontal area to cover 4 wheels of the same dia, so you'd have to reduce the dia to get the same frontal area, unless you put them all in line.

Realistically, if the rider is going to balance the bike (not fly-by-wire, 2-wheel steering, with gyro stablization), then the lack of 2 front wheels is a serious safety drawback.  Any issue with the front tire traction, and it crashes. 

Now you COULD make a motorcycle that won't crash when the front tire slips ... 

ofcourse if both a 2 and 4 wheeled vehicle given the same hp the 2 wheels would be made to go faster, but  4 wheels technically should be able to handle more power than 2 yes or no?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
Okay, Mr. Taper -- glen has asked a fair question and I'll second it.  Would you please be so kind as to put your location into your "profile" page back in registration -- so we'll at least know where you're located.  Not street address -- but city and state is good so we know if there's a racer nearby that can visit and help out -- or if you can visit and help one of us.

Also -- how 'bout some background?  Where, for example, did you get the knowledge needed to ask the basic questions you're asking?  Have you raced in other forms of wheeled/engine driven vehicles.  I could go on -- but we'd all rather have you take a moment and tell us.  I see you're on line right now -- so take a little time and give us the background, please.  I'll point out that if you don't give us location -- I'll assign one to you and it might not be correct :evil:!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
  In my opinion, ALL posters on this site should BE REQUIRED to have their home City and State listed  as part of their post.
  There is in my opinion no reason to not do so, and it could really make things more efficient for technical information or buying and selling, especially vehicles.
  If you want to hide behind a Psuedoname or moniker, thats fine also, but I will never really understand why.                                           JMO         Bob
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:10:14 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury