Author Topic: Build Diary  (Read 21650 times)

Offline RICK

Build Diary
« on: April 01, 2006, 07:24:48 AM »
Last night I pulled an all-nighter laying down glass/resin/mat. Sometime around 2:30 this morn,run out of cloth. I found an old exploded SIR passenger air bag,,,,, seems to be made of high quality cloth,,,hope it works??????  guess I'll find out tomarrow when I try to pull it from the mold.

thanks, RICK

p.s. Anybody know why these pictures are so BIG?
It's not over, it's just harder.

landracing

Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 08:52:49 AM »
Dont worry I resized it for you.

In order for them to fit the page you should resize the image to something under 600x480 with any photo program. Then you will be golden..

Nice work on the glass hope everything turns out good for you.

Jon

Offline RICK

First Piece
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 08:15:15 PM »
The first piece 'poped' out, and all is good!  Now on to the doors, deck lid etc.,,,

RICK

Offline RICK

Build Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:07:20 PM »
Next step? Lay out some frame rails? I saw where Summner started with wood, thought I might give it a try. Just rembered that a 2x4 is really a 1 1/2x3 1/2. Ran down to the saw mill where they start out full size[2x4]  But I'm thinking of skipin the wood route and going straight to steel

Now if I start screwin up,,,,PLEASE jump right in and let me know if theres a better way.

thanks  RICK

PS seeing that wooden motorscooter might had sumthin to do with changin my mind too.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Project progress>
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:05:13 AM »
Rick,
I am impressed with you glass work!! Must not be your first time. I find it interesting how we can put some rails down and add a body and it really looks like sh-t is happening, I have some pictures of my roadster under construction from a couple of years ago and man it looked like I could drive it! Well it's been apart and together at least 5 time since then and maybe I'm doing the assembly the last time right now! But from the looks of your shop you've done this type of thing before and know how the big parts are easy and the details take all the time.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing you at the salt!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
build
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »
Some years ago a group did a mockup of a chassis using PVC pipe. It worked great and saved a lot of time in the real chassis. As I recall it was the BMW streamliner car. It only ran one year, don't know what happened to it. Neat car, small frontal area, etc.
Glen :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
chassis mock-up
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
..........the right Reverend Hedgash did a mock up of our subframe in heavy cardboard tube (the type used for rolls of fabric) which is easy to come by.It was easy to work with a tenon saw and a coarse rasp , yes you heard right he notched it all and zipped it up with packing tape.Then I copied it in thin wall steel tube . The cardboard was great because we could try all sorts of things(placement of triangulation) and in actual size and it was quick and cheap. Once done in steel we could sit in it and drop the block into it...Mind , this was done after a long time tooling around with 3D renders because we wnted to keep the original bellytank dimensions.

I like steel , zap , done....my old man was a wood man and my brother makes a living out of it but it doesn't "talk" to me like steel :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

Build Diary
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 11:51:31 AM »
I'm using plywood disks and PVC tubing to mock up the chassis for my Tank. I've got one of those plastic Flathead blocks, too. It's really easy to work with and it perks up my living room. Wayno

Offline RICK

Build Diary
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 09:49:21 AM »
OK,,,,,,,Going with "ZAP DONE" moving on to steel. With only 4 1/2 months to go, I decided to skip the bamboo and duct tape.
 Yesterday I spotted an old school bus with a tall deck big block chev waiting for me in the local salvage yard. Could be my new motor? Can we say A/cgalt?
    Last night I layed out some 2x4x.120, got the hot glue gun,[mig], and stuck it together. Pretty much tryed to follow the stock curve and shape of a 34 frame.

Rick

Offline russ jensen

tall blk chevy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 12:50:11 AM »
:twisted: Better look that tall blk over real careful before you get to excited , lot of them are 366 {small bore w 427 crank] could make good eng depending what cubs you want.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline RICK

Build Diary
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
Looks like I scored. It was a 7.0,,,427 tall deck school bus. Now all I have to do is add an new 'affordable?' stroker crank,reasonably priced +.400 rods, with a .070 over bore and should end up with 498,,,,=A.

And with around 4 1/2 months left, I need to get crackin,,,,,,"spend less time typin, and more time wrenchin!"           "Yes dear"

If you need me I'll be down in the shop.     Rick

4janey2

Build Diary
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
Where do I find the pictures of the work?

LittleLiner

Build Diary
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 12:44:25 PM »
If you don't see the photos in three of the posts above it might be because you are not logged in.  When i am not logged in - no photos.  Then I log in and the photos can be viewed.[/quote]

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
Nice Hot Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 03:19:49 PM »
Check your Private message box when you get a chance

Offline RICK

Build Diary
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
Thanks to all that responded, and helped me to decide on 'SUSPENSION?'  After concidering all options, I decided to give it some and to make it independent. In the spirit of 'old school' having to build everything from scratch, I plan to TRY to make/fabricate as much as time and money will allow.

It don't look like much, and took more tape measure time than I thought it would, but heres the first draft of the control arms.

Let me know if this looks wrong
           Thanks RICK