Author Topic: 600cc Project 200  (Read 102160 times)

landracing

Re: 600cc Project 200
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2007, 01:49:31 AM »
jack,

so is hitting a curb with a wheel.. I missing your point... Since I don't clamp the wheel... Or are you just throwing that out there, because you have to have an answer for everything??? There are alot of things a wheel isn't designed for.... And I disagree with your application, by which I think you are saying that traveling with a wheel in a tire chalk to bonneville could cause a bent rim???  OR  I also would find it hard to believe that if one uses a clamp at the bottom of the wheel to hold the bike up it would bend a rim, like one on a bike lift.... I do believe that rims bend from an impact of some sort. And since the "imperfection" was outward, I can conclude that clamping was not the issue. GO fish...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2007, 02:39:24 AM »
"Various experiences influence variable conclusions." (me)
To what do you attribute the damage ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2007, 02:54:28 AM »
Good luck,Jon. See ya out there. Can't wait to check out the bike.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2007, 05:08:25 AM »
All the best Jon ,go fast be safe
slower than most

landracing

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2007, 05:38:05 AM »
Jack,

I would conclude the following (without pointing finger):
A. the wheel was bent in shipping to chromer
B. Chromer dropped wheel before chroming process.

I did confirm the wheel was bent when dropped off first time for balancing at local bike shop. they said it was bent, but balanced fine. I was not there when they did balancing. One of those dropped off and picked up later. And it was one of those I forgot to tell you things when I went back to inquire.... That was kinda important information. I feel IF impact was done after chroming process there would be some stress of the chrome that showed or some type of scuff mark, which there is not.

Of course its all speculation, and at this point, don't care.. Just want to install a straight rim and good tire and lets go racing.

Jon
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:40:32 AM by landracing »

landracing

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2007, 05:55:24 AM »
The best material to build turbo headers is High Pressure Steam cast fittings and appropriate tubing.
It is thicker than exhaust products and the fittings are tapered at the weld point to ensure a better weld.
If you are trying to save weight, save time, and money, stay home.
It is a little more expensive but what is more expensive than a failure ?
 :wink:

Or the other side of the note is not stay home, work within the means of what you have on hand and use mild steel and go racing.... Sure you may have a failure, but its the racers choice, and if it does fail make it better... My failure with header wasn't due to mild steel or the welds, it was due to improper turbo support.

So are you telling Ack Attack that they should have stayed home because they used mild steel exhaust... Weight, money and time were not a factor, they built what they thought would work...

jon :) :) :)

P.S. Ill be sure to send an email out to all the turbo people, that if you aren't using steam cast fittings, just stay home and not attend speedweek.... That should shorten the lines right... But I want to buy a T-Shirt... A hell ill just go racing anyway..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:58:58 AM by landracing »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
The environment seen by the turbo headers in LSR requires quite a different approach than any other.
Someone we know, had a hole blow out in a stainless exhaust tubing header with no weight load and the fumes caused him to abort a run.
In that case the turbo was supported in the frame of the vehicle, and over 5 feet away.
It was not a stress crack, but an inability of the material at exhaust temperature to contain the pressure.
That case was not a speed secret and happened nearly 30 years ago on the Salt. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Super Kaz

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
The best material to build turbo headers is High Pressure Steam cast fittings and appropriate tubing.
It is thicker than exhaust products and the fittings are tapered at the weld point to ensure a better weld.
If you are trying to save weight, save time, and money, stay home.
It is a little more expensive but what is more expensive than a failure ?
 :wink:

Or the other side of the note is not stay home, work within the means of what you have on hand and use mild steel and go racing.... Sure you may have a failure, but its the racers choice, and if it does fail make it better... My failure with header wasn't due to mild steel or the welds, it was due to improper turbo support.

So are you telling Ack Attack that they should have stayed home because they used mild steel exhaust... Weight, money and time were not a factor, they built what they thought would work...

jon :) :) :)

P.S. Ill be sure to send an email out to all the turbo people, that if you aren't using steam cast fittings, just stay home and not attend speedweek.... That should shorten the lines right... But I want to buy a T-Shirt... A hell ill just go racing anyway..

Jon,
I'm pretty new to LSR,but have raced a Turbo on every vehicle I have ever owned"excepted my Time Trial Road Bikes" so I feel I know a little about the subject.
Every Turbo system I have raced at BONNEVILLE "I'M ON MY 4th different systems" has had a  crack of some sort  :?! They have been made of everything from Mild steal to Unobtainium :-o!
Really high Heat "super lean'',and stress from Vibration or just lack of enough support has seem to be the main causes.I have now discovered a new parts failure problem just this week :oops:! My Plastic nipples on my fuel tanks have become so brittle that I have broken 2 different V-rod gas tank caps. 1 was the fuel vent nipple the other was the fuel return nipple on  2 separate V-rod fuel tanks :x! These were from  2 seperate Race Bikes ,but they were 2002's and I ran Race Fuel in Both. Getting back to the Turbo Header failures. Each one was a little different,but Bracing or Lack of seems to be the common problem with each failure :|! I ran without rear suspension till now.So dampening or Lack of,and Vibration + High Heat seem to have caused the  major Failures :? Now bent wheels are something I have had to deal with during my Road Racing,Drag Racing, and Street riding days on my Ducati's,and V-rods.
 I ruined 3 different  Marchesini front wheels "1 Forged Aluminium ,1 cast Aluminium and 1 Magnesium'' Never crashing any of them but I did do some Drag racing as well as Road racing with them aswell as street riding. I would Do some Pretty Big Wheelies,and that was the only reason we could come up with other then having the tires Mounted by some not so Good Professionals? I'm not sure if this was the cause of your problems,but I have been through the same strange Phenomenons  :? :mrgreen: !
Hope this can shed a little lite on your Problems,and you get it resolved safely.
Good Luck,
Kaz..........
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:14:11 PM by landracing »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
What I would like to know is what the hell are Jack and Joe doing up at 3:30 A.M. on a Sunday morning??

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
  "...at 3:30 A.M. on a Sunday morning??"

As opposed to 3.30 AM on a Sunday afternoon?

Just being pedantic, as usual, but then, it's Father's Day and I can do whatever I want -- I'm a dad.  Happy Father's Day to one and all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
  "...at 3:30 A.M. on a Sunday morning??"

As opposed to 3.30 AM on a Sunday afternoon?

Just being pedantic, as usual, but then, it's Father's Day and I can do whatever I want -- I'm a dad.  Happy Father's Day to one and all.

".....As opposed to 3.30 AM"

As opposed to 3.30 inches.  Hey Jon you had better be careful, one of these guys might stuff you into one of those green boxes you take care of and throw away the key, or at least drop it down the vent stack for you to fish for  :evil:,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
Sum, just yesterday you were saying nice things about me 'cause I've figured out how to put photos into my posts.  Now you go giving others bad ideas.

By the way, how do you post those big photos?

Back to Jonathon's build story, folks.  Didn't mean to hijack the thread...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »
Sum, just yesterday you were saying nice things about me 'cause I've figured out ................By the way, how do you post those big photos?.......

Jon (the other one who has ultimate control here) gave me special permission to use "big" pictures  8-) .

Actually they are posted on my site and I'm just linking to them with the {img}{/img}
option in the post menu above all the happy/sad faces.

Yes back to the 600 build.  I'm learning valuable info about turbos, which I'll use someday.  Thanks guys,

Sum

Offline panchop

« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
All i can say about it is the sophistication of the work and the obvious effort going into it is certainly humbling.

landracing

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
Well now that we know speedweek is on. Here is a few items I have been working on... I can tell you with the bike mostly ready for this year, I miscalculated my time as usual, and ill be working to the end hour AGAIN...

This year I didnt have the luxory of my Sugar Moma supporting my efforts, she has been out of work for 5 months now, but I did manage a few items. First I got an enclosed trailer for this year.. Second I made a few changes to the bike, first was the addition of the front fender, second was enclosing part of the front fairing more then it was, a new belly pan, new intake piping and a new exhaust, panel to block off air under triple tree, redo some wiring, some welding on oil pans, new front rim (story in itself)... the normal stuff I guess.
The trailer took some time prepping about a week for misc stuff.. Added a 20 Gallon tank on tonque of trailer to haul spray water...

We will see what this does for this year... Sounds like I need to make some more lead...

Here are a few pictures the rest are on the project build up section in the gallery

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:20:49 PM by landracing »