Author Topic: 600cc Project 200  (Read 102184 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
600cc Project 200
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2006, 10:17:44 AM »
I have seen a few bikes with an external strap from the cylinder or head to the flange. seems to work well for drag bikes. best of luck and congrats.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
600cc Project 200
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »
the turbo is pretty heavy unsupported it will crack any material your fix and support is pretty darn nice. it should keep the header from cracking at the exhaust ports  but you definitely need to put a bracket on the turbo. Typical when a header cracks at the flange its because of an unsupported turbo. good job on the rest of your Assembly running over2 means you built a good piece. shake out the rest of the bugs and that baby is gonn drop a few records
kent

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Simple
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »
Slip joints.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1212FBGS

600cc Project 200
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
none of the turbos I have ever seen have had slip on the header side only on the dump side

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
So...
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »
Look closer   :D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RichFox

600cc Project 200
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2006, 08:42:12 PM »
In 1978 I hung two TRW (Corvair) turbos on the side of my 270 GMC using JC Whitney U bend exhaust tubing exclusively. Had a brace from each turbo to the pan rail. Ran for at least 5 years, Two Bonneville records, and one at El Mirage,. Never cracked. Pretty hard to beat old JC.

Offline 1212FBGS

600cc Project 200
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2006, 12:07:09 AM »
bracing is good!

landracing

Re: 600cc Project 200
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
Ok well on to the Project 200 again for this year.

Last year, basically this whole post till now, was from last year. We started the project off with a whole new setup. Bascially a whole new engine management system, which Dave Dahlgren from Engine Management Systems helped with. His Plenum design and his wiring harness (for fuel and ignition). We had a new motor combination and some body improvements.

What this all netted me for 2006 was a data logging run over 200 mph (215 mph+). A 189 mph AMA record, 3 events raced (Speedweek, BUB and WOS), handling problem, one broken header, one blown motor, one junked turbo, one blistered tire, one fire, long course qualified and a whole bunch of room for improvement.

I am starting right now back into the bike.

Had problems data logging and communication problems between my AIM dash and the Haltech EMS. That seems to be corrected now with some firmware updates. Still have some other sensor issues which I will be working out soon.

Fuel tank modifications in the works, chain guard modification, bottom fairing modification
Found some of my wiring was incorrect for the LC1 for the wide band o2 sensor. That was my fault.

Not to terrible of a list for this year.

I will be updating the photos in this thread with all the pictures that were lost.

landracing

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2007, 02:39:15 AM »
I think I got most of the pictures back up in this post, in the correct order of the build, so you can go back to page one of this thread and look at the pictures.

If anything you can goto

http://www.landracing.com/gallery/index.php?cat=63

That will have all the pictures and pretty much in chronological order.

Jon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:20:58 AM by landracing »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
Looks great and glad to see it moving along.
Good luck.

J

landracing

« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »
Well time to put progress on Project 200...

At this time the engine parameters have changed a little. Working on some fairing upgrades and some additions aero devices that were suggested to me from two people. So we will see if they help the aero still going to run the same 7-10 lbs of boost. Modifying the exhaust system outlet to rear of bike also. And corrected a few minor issues that we had last year.

I believe I have found the steering shake problem that plagued me last year and prevented any 100% throttle runs thru the whole measured mile. the magical speed of approx 190 mph gave me some problems. At BUB meet it was better but Speedweek and WOS is was worse.

No other upgrades will be done for this year. Other then locating an enclosed trailer. 

Plan is to run Speedweek, then run BUB's meet under FIM sanction. We will see about the other meets after those two. Depends if goals have been reached.

No pictures yet, may have to wait until speedweek to see.

Jon

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2007, 08:14:40 PM »
Well time to put progress on Project 200...

At this time the engine parameters have changed a little. Working on some fairing upgrades and some additions aero devices that were suggested to me from two people. So we will see if they help the aero still going to run the same 7-10 lbs of boost. Modifying the exhaust system outlet to rear of bike also. And corrected a few minor issues that we had last year.

I believe I have found the steering shake problem that plagued me last year and prevented any 100% throttle runs thru the whole measured mile. the magical speed of approx 190 mph gave me some problems. At BUB meet it was better but Speedweek and WOS is was worse.

No other upgrades will be done for this year. Other then locating an enclosed trailer. 

Plan is to run Speedweek, then run BUB's meet under FIM sanction. We will see about the other meets after those two. Depends if goals have been reached.

No pictures yet, may have to wait until speedweek to see.

Jon

Jon.

What was the issue with the wobble?  Front wheel? ??

J

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »
The best material to build turbo headers is High Pressure Steam cast fittings and appropriate tubing.
It is thicker than exhaust products and the fittings are tapered at the weld point to ensure a better weld.
If you are trying to save weight, save time, and money, stay home.
It is a little more expensive but what is more expensive than a failure ?
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2007, 11:02:14 PM »
Yes John, I believe that the front wheel was the problem. I cannot find anything else that provides answers or even possibilities. The front wheel was bent. I have no clue where or when it happened. I found that after racing season.

So new wheel ready to be installed just looking for a tire.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »
Clamping the wheel at the bottom into a fixture and holding the bike up is an unnatural load in a direction the wheel was never designed for.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"