Author Topic: 600cc Project 200  (Read 102193 times)

Offline hawkwind

600cc Project 200
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 07:56:26 AM »
G'day Jon lookin a bloody pearler mate  :D  I have a fair bit of experence with painting ,why did you remove the existing paint ? also be aware that a good candy paint job is one of the hardest to achieve  :wink: all the best for your goal
Gary
slower than most

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 08:51:27 AM »
Mainly because I had dropped the bike and cracked some fiberglass. Needed some little holes patched... Needed a change...

Jon

Offline Dean Los Angeles

600cc Project 200
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 05:03:10 PM »
Here is a sample look of what the paint will look like.

Do you get to pick the guy in the paint job?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »
no thats extra, and im cheap, so I ordered without. :)

Jon

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 02:46:01 AM »
Well more at it. I needed to fit a new windscreen supplied by one of my sponsors Air Tech... This is my first attempt at trying to do the job correctly. I screwed up in a couple of places... I drew out where I wanted the windscreen to go, then I drew in 1/2 inch from the outline. This left me 1/4" to put #6 flat heads in there. I measured out every 1" to put these into the countersunk holes. As of tonight Im half way there, just need to finish the top part Saturday.. The square pieces of fiberglass left  inside the windscreen area are my mounting points for the fairing. I didnt want to mess with that at all... So this is what I have. Looks like crap but hey next time Im sure I can do a better job.

If you cant see the pictures, I have uploaded this years progress pictures here

http://www.landracing.com/gallery/index.php?cat=63

Jon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:16:27 AM by landracing »

Offline joea

600cc Project 200
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 01:22:35 PM »
that looks awesome.........!!

Joe :)

Offline Bow

600cc Project 200
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 04:51:51 PM »
Jon...

That is SLICK!

Nice work.
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
600cc Project 200
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 07:00:03 PM »
Quote from: landracing
My wife says I like the brunette one I already have....

Hey wait,,, itsn't your wife a nurse???

Im whipped...

Jon

nope. shes a surgeon. even worse! I mean better.

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »
Ill just post a couple finished pictures here. And the rest will be at the link below.

I had to do some fiberglass, dreading this day I just did it last night, all night, into the early hours of the morning. I learned alot just from the little I did. I am fairly pleased with the final product. MY first time doing it shows but ill put a light coat of spot putty around areas and should be good enough.

I am not done doing my "Rusted O'Dilly Rear Wing" that is still work in progress. I feel like I am not going to make it to Speedweek right now so ill save that for last if more time is there.

I did make a few sections to fill in around the foot area of the bike that were open also.

The rest of the files showing the work in progress are at

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:16:58 AM by landracing »

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Cooooooooool
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 03:32:45 AM »
Whoah! Looks great.

I like the indents in the windscreen too, could be a really nice signature piece if tweaked just right. Like the glint in a manga character's eye or something a little more insectlike...

The paint looks great too. I imagine it would be tricky to patch for those inevitable changes/improvements though?

I am hoping to repaint the bellytank each year though so maybe you are of the same opinion...

Well done Jon. Hope to see it on the next jaunt downunder.

rH+

ps the Lady Hedgash is a rehead too. I consider it nature's warning sign...

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 12:14:40 AM »
Well started the process on the paint job.. I sanded, sanded and sanded some more to get it read.. Good friend John Gowetski came over to assist in helping.. He was the teacher and I was the student... And come to realize that the teacher wasn't there when I was doing the sanding first, and after the first coat of primer went on, the imperfections just started to show up (many of them).. Come to realize I used to course of a sandpaper to sand it and the lines started coming in to show... So we went on and primed, sanded, filled in areas, sanded some more then finally we got to a point to add the sealer... Well found more sanding to get done in the next day before we add the first part of basecoat for the MirraChrome Red Candy im putting on... And my pistons showed up from JE, so in the past week I assembled the motor, checked the valve clearance, took back apart and inpected some questionable things (assembler error), reassembled and now just awaiting the fuel injection parts. Two pictures below and the rest are in the photo gallery.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:18:29 AM by landracing »

Offline Larry Forstall

600cc Project 200
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
Great work Jon. You will reap so much satisfaction when you go 200. Doing it all yourself is a special reward. When Charlie Toy designed his bodywork I don't think he ever envisioned it would morph into so many variants. Candy Red has a long history of going fast, you are sure to continue it.   8)       Larry

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 02:18:46 PM »
This is the only little Bitc* that has broken my heart... And she is going to be a red head now.... We are talking divorce if this year doesn't work out... Probably wont go fast but will look nice in the pits.. Maybe...

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
600cc Project 200
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
Quote from: landracing
This is the only little Bitc* that has broken my heart... And she is going to be a red head now.... We are talking divorce if this year doesn't work out... Probably wont go fast but will look nice in the pits.. Maybe...
Jon

If I had to put money on the diesel liner going over 300 during speed week or you going over 200, my money would be on you :D .

Have you been using "guide coats" during your sanding??

c ya, Sum

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »
I guess I would keep your money Sumner,,,

No I have not been using guide coats... I felt that I am going to sand until the spots come out and reapply the sealer... It's all well right now, looking pretty good... I however discovered another profession which I do not want to do when I grow up... ha

Jon

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:20:43 AM by landracing »