Author Topic: Safety Window Film?  (Read 18823 times)

McRat

Re: Safety Window Film?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
A thing that bites about modern car glass.  Many front and back windows don't come out willingly.  They usually break when removed.  The newer glues are pretty good; the windows are not intended to be removable.  The "retainer plates" required by SCTA are actually more likely to bust the glass than hold it in place.

Offline dw230

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
I am getting the feeling that LSR masy not be the venue for you Pat.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

McRat

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »

DW

That I don't know. 

When they outlaw digital fuel injection like NASCAR is when I'll hang it up for sure.  A spark might jump from a computer chip and poke someone's eye out ...   :evil:

I hate carbs, and always have.  Nothing but a PITA ...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »

DW

That I don't know. 

When they outlaw digital fuel injection like NASCAR is when I'll hang it up for sure.  A spark might jump from a computer chip and poke someone's eye out ...   :evil:

I hate carbs, and always have.  Nothing but a PITA ...

Hmmmm.... I know it is pretty difficult to use carbs on diesel engines.... although I also know that, during, WW2, there were people who used diesel fuel in carbureted engines (preheaters etc)

Hate, though?.... aw c'mon man.... although - dislike, I can understand...

Frankly, all that aside, I do wish that I followed through on an earlier "opportunity" to used a turbo'd 2 liter engine with EFI as I would, in all likelihood, be using EFI exclusively now....

PITA?.... I know how the term relates to the bread that my "adopted" Greek family serves in their restaurant (with hummus and tzaziki on the side for dipping...)
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

McRat

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
PITA = Pain In The Asteroid.

Stuck floats, stuck WOT, choke closing accidently, stuck slide, balancing 2, 3, or 4 carbs, vapor lock, vacuum leaks, etc, etc.

Gimme a notebook computer and some tables and I'm a bunch happier.  Yes, I still have a few things with carbs, but very few.

Digital Fuel Injection is what caused rebirth of the musclecar.  Without it, it would still be 1975. 

Offline fastman614

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
PITA = Pain In The Asteroid.

Stuck floats, stuck WOT, choke closing accidently, stuck slide, balancing 2, 3, or 4 carbs, vapor lock, vacuum leaks, etc, etc.

Gimme a notebook computer and some tables and I'm a bunch happier.  Yes, I still have a few things with carbs, but very few.

Digital Fuel Injection is what caused rebirth of the musclecar.  Without it, it would still be 1975. 

I don't disagree with you, Pat.... And I have to say that in addition to the rebirth of the musclecar, it was also responsible for the fact that my late 90s Chevy pickup could tow the racecar and trailer as well as a much older Chevy pickup truck could .... and get 5 - 6 mpg better fuel economy while doing it.

Pretty much the only reason that we have stayed with carbs is because it is what we are familiar with.... I presently don't have the interest to learn about computer controlled this, that and the other in my "hobby life" as my head often swirls from having to continually learn computer stuff in my work life.... I do know that an awful lot of what I do have to learn in my work life is industrial process control related and it is really not a lot different than the EFI control technology ... but still.... I just can't get excited about learning it - at least not at this time.

McRat

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
OK, found no tools that I own can remove the rear side or back windows of the truck.  They don't hold modern windows in with Elmer's Glue.  It's something black that was designed by Satan himself.  It will cost $275 for somebody to come out and remove them, with no guarantee they won't break.  They usually do break.

So decision time...  Hit all windows with a ball peen hammer and use air chisel to remove edges?  Or pay more than the glass is worth not to destroy a perfectly good set of windows?  I hate wrecking things out of pure stupidity, even if it's the most cost effective.

If I do the ball peen method, does anyone want to see an experiment on how tough modern glass really is?  I could video it and increase the force until it breaks.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Put a different type of film on each window; video the destruction and resulting messes.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »
OK, found no tools that I own can remove the rear side or back windows of the truck.  They don't hold modern windows in with Elmer's Glue.  It's something black that was designed by Satan himself.  It will cost $275 for somebody to come out and remove them, with no guarantee they won't break.  They usually do break.

So decision time...  Hit all windows with a ball peen hammer and use air chisel to remove edges?  Or pay more than the glass is worth not to destroy a perfectly good set of windows?  I hate wrecking things out of pure stupidity, even if it's the most cost effective.

If I do the ball peen method, does anyone want to see an experiment on how tough modern glass really is?  I could video it and increase the force until it breaks.

It is called a Fein tool. Use to be hard to find and expensive. http://www.multimaster.info/en_us/ but now Menards, Lowes, Home Depot etc all sell cheap versions. Your windows will come out with ease. What you are cutting is a Urethane.

McRat

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Thanks!

Is that a "multi-tool"? that I see on Cable TV?  Vibrates a blade back and forth?

Offline Tman

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »
Thanks!

Is that a "multi-tool"? that I see on Cable TV?  Vibrates a blade back and forth?

Yes, Fein invented them. Mercedes glue in window tech is where they originated. They use them for cutting casts off arms and legs also.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Works a lot better than the window seal cutter you can get from eastwood. Harbor Freight sells them as well cheap. and cheap. should do the job though.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

McRat

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »
Thanks, that did it.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »
Did you have someone take any video?.... I was thinking about a friend who is also facing this "dilemma" and I figured that 20 seconds of video would show him how it's done.

McRat

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »
I'll see what I can do this weekend for a video.