Author Topic: Safety Window Film?  (Read 18830 times)

McRat

Safety Window Film?
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Guess I read the rulebook too late.  What is safety window film?  I have never hear of that.  I have adhesive plastic tinted film.

I have found "Security Window Film" at U-Line (industrial supply), but that's only 0.0025" thick (thinner than a human hair), and no thicker than window tint.

Nobody has ever heard of Safety Film after 20 phone calls.  Speedway Motors doesn't have it, or know what it is.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Safety Window Film?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »

McRat

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
Thanks!

Well, I guess that U-Line stuff is what they mean.  $200, and it's in stock locally.

But, if I want to go 200+ mph someday, it all goes in the trash anyhow.

Decisions, decisions.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
Thanks!

I don't understand this "IF" word you speak of.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

McRat

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Thanks!

Well, we actually exceeded 200 before the 2 mile mark, before we had a ring land failure, if the datalog was correct.   Basically, I had my chance and I blew it.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
Thanks!

Well, we actually exceeded 200 before the 2 mile mark, before we had a ring land failure, if the datalog was correct.   Basically, I had my chance and I blew it.

I'm not sure what we are going to do.  

Talkin to some off road 4 wheelers and dealers at a display and they had a window film that held the glass together
in crashes. After ruling on Lexon and spending over $1500 and our own install I would have liked to have come across
this flim sooner, as it might have worked in place of Lexon and the retirement of cars and loss of SCTA members in this
bad economy.

Might check with off road suppliers.

Good luck JL222
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:08:27 PM by jl222 »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
It seems that, with Land Speed Racing, things are only several years behind NHRA (and drag racing in general). Rules, regulations, expiry dates etc... Never ending new rules.... More money monre money more money.....

We, in Canada, live under a tax regime where any and all sponsors of racing activities have been put under the microscope by our income tax department.... and usually have any and all racing expense deductions disallowed... it is why you will NEVER see ANY  Canadian based/owned/sponsored professional racing teams in ANY type of racing..... The business names on both of our cars are there because the businesses are owned by the many people involved in our team.... I know this part is a bit off the topic but it is integral with peoples decisions to no longer participate in motorsports....

What it now sounds like, though, is that there is a product on the market that may well have been up to the task of containing shards of tempered glass and we have by and large had to replace our glass with lexan or the equivalent - even in the face of evidence that there were certain vehicles that were responsible almost exclusively for window blowout problems - such vehicles being the type that did NOT have full framed side or rear hatch windows.... which I am pretty sure is NOT McRat's truck (or pretty well every other, if not all, truck(s) at the salt) and it is NOT our Chevy Vega or many other coupes/sedans that are presently active...etc...

Although we DID replace our glass in the Vega.... it was NOT a happy choice to do so as we had installed the glass "for the long haul" - so to speak....

One side point touched on above - If you exceed 200 MPH at an event without setting a record and if the record remains at below 200 MPH, you ARE NOT bound by the rules that kick in at 200 MPH just because your vehicle has at tone time exceeded 200 MPH - The 200 MPH plus rules only apply when the existing class record is 200 MPH or over!.... AND - they DO NOT APPLY at the meet at which the record is set to 200 MPH or more - ONLY AT THE NEXT EVENT. We were in this position with the Vega at the W/Fs last year (the event that ended up not taking place) as the lexan issue was at a transitional speed of 250 MPH while the record was/is 245 mph. It was our plan to retire the Vega (and probably the 6142 Lakester as well) after 2011. We had hoped to have bumped the record to well over 250 MPH but.... we never got the chance  :-( So, now, for this year it was spend more money - AND THEN mothball the car.

Many of us faced the same dilemma and we feel for you.... I just hope that your grocery stores and auto parts stores etc. have A LOT of half price sales between now and Speedweek so that you all can have the $$$ to get there. Take care and Godbless....

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
  Carefull Fastman, or you  may end up in inspection line hell with me.  At least I got my own private lane for inspection................................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline fastman614

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:06:54 AM »
  Carefull Fastman, or you  may end up in inspection line hell with me.  At least I got my own private lane for inspection................................  Bob

Bob - I am an inspector - we get into inspection line hell quite often as we are supposed to be the leaders in safety innovations etc..... I do NOT always agree with interpretations of rules but I DO enforce them as the current interpretation(s) is(are) and, in the event of a dispute, I get senior people involved to do the arguing.....

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
Fastman, sent p.m.
Bob Drury

McRat

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
I wonder why they don't just let you attach .0625" steel sheet on the outside of the body where the windows go?  That would be much cheaper and stronger, and still be fireproof.

You can't see out the windows anyhow when in driving position wearing a neck brace, side shield, and window net. 

Or another good option is just to remove all windows like demolition derby does.  That is probably the best.  It's free and easy.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:55:54 AM »
I wonder why they don't just let you attach .0625" steel sheet on the outside of the body where the windows go?  That would be much cheaper and stronger, and still be fireproof.

You can't see out the windows anyhow when in driving position wearing a neck brace, side shield, and window net. 

Or another good option is just to remove all windows like demolition derby does.  That is probably the best.  It's free and easy.

Demolition derby.... YUP!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!  I LUVYA MAN!!!!!!!!!  ..... still LOL!!!!!!!

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
"I wonder why they don't just let you attach .0625" steel sheet on the outside of the body where the windows go?  That would be much cheaper and stronger, and still be fireproof."

Where does it say you can't? I have seen more than a couple of metal solutions.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

McRat

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
"I wonder why they don't just let you attach .0625" steel sheet on the outside of the body where the windows go?  That would be much cheaper and stronger, and still be fireproof."

Where does it say you can't? I have seen more than a couple of metal solutions.

DW

Hmmmm...

I thought you could not modify the sheetmetal in Gas Coupe?  Wouldn't that be considered streamlining also?

Not that aero is my problem with my rolling barn, but it might add 1/2 a mph before I blow up again ....

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
Sheetmetal = glass? Thats some new chemistry.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth