Author Topic: Return road speed and pit vehicle question  (Read 5726 times)

Offline wfojohn

Return road speed and pit vehicle question
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
At Speed Week what is the return road speed limit and is the typical gas powered golf cart with a small
 motorcycle tow dolly capable of doing the job or would it be in everyones way. Are ATV's with non-aggressive treaded tires permitted in the pits and return road? We are trying to decide on the best vehicle for our situation. I have an Econoline van and can use that on the return road if that would be the best option. We will have room in the trailer to bring a golf cart or atv and a tow dolly to attach to either. Thanks for your imput.

Offline RichFox

Re: Return road speed and pit vehicle question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
I think the speed limit is 25 and is roundly ignored by many. Plenty of room to pass slower moving or stopped cars. Several ATVs in the pits and in line.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Speed limits are given to all at the driver/crew meeting before the event kicks off. On the return road past the pits, any vehicle, esp. tow vehicles must have a C.B. and a fire extinguisher. I can't see any issue about a vehicle on the return road being too slow.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

McRat

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
My golf cart goes 12 mph.  It would take ~1 hour to go from the start line on the long course, recover a vehicle at the five, and tow back to impound.

If you think you'll be setting a record on the long course, you need a tow faster than 10mph get to impound in legal time (60 minutes).

Even on the short course, we have come close to 1 hour using a motorhome as a recovery vehicle, since we drive it slow on the return road.

Personally, I'd use an ATV instead due to the their faster speed.  Even though the golf cart is much safer (ours has full lights, horn, seatbelts, CB Radio, tow hitch, fire ext, first aid kit, etc), it's just too slow with the governor in place.  The ATV is FAR less safe, but the better choice. 

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
The big problem is all the spectators who get out there and drive 5mph or 75- usually in their 176' long diesel pushers!

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Well from the imput I think we will take an atv and tow dolly. Thanks for the help and I doubt I would have thought of putting the CB on the atv or the extinguisher either. I have them in the van so I can just transfer them. Thanks again.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »
I brought an ATV last year. We found it to be a great pit vehicle we used it constantly and I think if we have room it will go out with us again this year. We also brought golf carts that were adjusted a little and were capable of 25 mph. Golf carts with roof are nice portable shade. We are all getting older and have replaced the bicycles with motorized transport last year.  :-)

The normal quad tires I pumped up to 15 psi and were not damaging to the salt at all.

Our team does use the suburban as the chase/tow car for the lakester, but you guys hauling around a motorcycle would be fine with a quad, I would think.
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
Just remember the quads kick up a lot of salt even at slow speeds, you might want to add a shield on the front of the tow bar to keep from spraying the bike with wet salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Glen,
You're right, the spray would be a problem. Thanks for the imput. Should be easy enough to figure some kind of attachment out to stop it. Thanks.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
I really think you are better off using the van. It's pretty far our there and if you are running on any course but the main long course then you have a big U return back to the pits and depending on where the race vehicle stops on course, that can be like 10 miles. If you use the van you can carry all you need and move down the return road at a decent pace. Outside of the pit area you can go alot faster then 25mph
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:25 PM »
Use the van and the A/C on the return road.. :cheers: