Author Topic: Coleman cooler or other low-buck intercooler icewater tank ideas?  (Read 10283 times)

Offline SteveM

I'm daydreaming about the intercooler icewater tank I'm going to need for my Dodge Rampage LSR build.  The tank will be in the bed of the truck, so I can be fairly flexible with respect to the shape and size of the tank.  The simplest thing I can think of would be a Coleman-style, or other similar large capacity cooler, with bulkhead fittings, and a way to securely anchor the tank and keep the lid closed.  I'm picturing one of one of those green steel-clad coolers, but that doesn't mean much.  A drop-in set of baffles and a marine bilge/ livewell pump would be part of the plan for water circulation.

Has anyone used this type of cooler as an intercooler tank in the past?

Any other ideas for simple, cheap icewater tanks?  I'd rather not spend $500 for a custom-fabbed aluminum tank if something much more readily available would work and be acceptable.

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Stan Back

Re: Coleman cooler or other low-buck intercooler icewater tank ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
You might consider fabbing a low profile "steel" tank that would lower your center of gravity and act as ballast, too.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »
The Rick Byrnes Merkur in the 90's had a large fabricated water tank in from of the rear axle and a small pump that sprayed water onto the air-air intercooler in front of the radiator.  He also had a Coleman cooler full of ice water that was pumped thru a water-air intercooler downstream of the air-air intercooler.  Intake air temps at 30psi were below ambient.

The Coleman cooler also had a small submerged intercooler ('87-'88 Tbird in this case) that was plumbed with the fresh air intake and output was thru a Parker Pumper into the driver's helmet.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Steve, I used a Coleman cooler for the chiller tank on the dyno-worked great!

If I had room, I would use it in the car!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
I have given consideration to re-purposing the factory fuel tank on this Rampage into an icewater tank.  I'd have to figure out the exact volume, but it's probably in the 12-14 gallon range.  The factory fuel tank sits under the bed of the truck.  I would have to cut an access port through the bed floor, and then some kind of marine-style deck plate would have to be fitted to the top of the tank.  That would get the CG as low as practical, but it's not a particularly handy location for filling or draining.  I was also hoping for a bit more volumetric capacity.  Some insulation wouldn't hurt, either.

The bed of a Rampage isn't very deep.  I'll have to measure, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 20" from the bed floor to the bed rails.  Any tank that I can fit in there won't put the CG particularly high in any case.

It sounds like Rick's Merkur certainly got a lot of use out of the cooling water.  I especially like the intercooled helmet idea.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »
I have done exactly what you suggest the last 2 years/cars. Modest ice chest held down by a ratchet strap. In tech last year they suggested 2 ratchet straps instead of the one. Steel frame bolted to the floor pan. Have 2 pumps in it- small bilge pumps but in a prior car with similar but not same system used a live well pump.  500 GPH free flow both. One pump to the ice water to air intercooler, one pump to the cool suit shirt. You have one of those don't you? I wouldn't go back to the salt without anymore. Those 30 min holds with you at the front of the line while some issue is being resolved become not unpleasant rather than "when is the ambulance coming to take my heat stroked body away".  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
"Homemade Cool Suit" might be next on the list.  Chilled underpants might be just the ticket in August.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
We used a 10 gal work-site style cooler, Rule 1500 pump plumbed into a
A/W intercooler, saw 37 degree IAT on the dyno, 70 degrees by end of a
mile run. Not too shabby for $150, including the pump and 3/4"ID hose.

You'll want 5 or more gallons, and a 1500gph or better pump. Dad's
Custom Tanks makes a 7 gallon tank with a Rule 2000 pump installed
for $350, I believe. High quality stuff. Looking to upgrade ours.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Yep.  I use the largest Coleman I could find.  Since my car is "sudo" street legal, I do drive it on the street some. Experience showed me to install a seam of weather stripping along the lid and racket tie (not too tight) the lid down.  That way there are no drips from the ice/water being sloshed around.

Offline jacksoni

Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Tman

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
The "Dad's Custom" stuff certainly looks reasonable for a custom made aluminum tank with all the right fittings, etc.  A quick road trip to Van Buren, IN would be fun, too.

I think I'll have a go at ruining a perfectly good cooler before figuring out if I need to spend the money to do it in the manner of a custom tank.

Steve.

Offline randre

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 05:16:58 AM »
Steve, I used a Coleman cooler for the chiller tank on the dyno-worked great!

If I had room, I would use it in the car!

It is good to know that you are satisfied with the Coleman cooler. A good friend of mine also recommended this one. Until I buy one I am going for a rental chiller at the moment. Now if I find a cheap offer for a Coleman cooler I will buy one but as I said in order to bypass the time I prefer using a rental chiller.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
Randre -

While it's fine to offer ideas about the many subject and topics, I don't care for it when you "hide" a link in your post.  It smacks of trying to sneak an advertisement into the forum without the members knowing it - and without paying for it like others are kind enough to do.

Please do me the favor of explaining your interest in the concept stated by "...I prefer using a rental chiller".  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Randre -

While it's fine to offer ideas about the many subject and topics, I don't care for it when you "hide" a link in your post.  It smacks of trying to sneak an advertisement into the forum without the members knowing it - and without paying for it like others are kind enough to do.

Please do me the favor of explaining your interest in the concept stated by "...I prefer using a rental chiller".  Thanks.

That does smell of SPAM ! :-P
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.