Author Topic: Neil Thompson passed away  (Read 25076 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: Neil Thompson passed away
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »
The car is at George Calloways shop at El Mirage.

Calloway ALWAYS gets the neat stuff! ???

LOL George definitely does but the car belongs to Neil and now obviously the Thompson family AFAIK.  Neil's roadster may also be there.  My dad and I went over and looked at the Studebaker during the last meet.  It's certainly neglected and looks like it sat outside for 15 or 20 years but it's still mostly all there.  ABSOLUTELY amazing to see where "we've" come from to where we are now 40+ years later. 
If the Thompson family wants to sell it, I AM SOOOO INTERESTED!!!!! ... Not so much to race it.... but to own it!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
  Dave, not that I wish to spoil your dreams, but in mine I see it parked next to the Phoenix in the new LSR Museum in Wendover.................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
I see it parked inside my shop, being readied to race again.
Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
  Salt, first of all it would be easier and cheaper to start from scratch.
  This car was last raced (I believe) in the mid seventies, and I think that other than the top, everything else would need to be replaced.
  It is impossible to reach some areas of a Studebaker to remove salt (unless you remove the rear quarter panels every year) and the chassis is probably toast also if there were any holes drilled into it.
  Both the body and chassis will rust from both inside and outside.
  The roll cage is probably welded from "seamed" steel pipe or of unknown thickness.
  If it has a quickchange rear, it is probably eaten up.  On and on.
  This is a historical car and I think it should be honored "AS IS" as a tribute to Neil and our sport.
                                             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline fastman614

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 11:52:34 PM »
  Salt, first of all it would be easier and cheaper to start from scratch.
  This car was last raced (I believe) in the mid seventies, and I think that other than the top, everything else would need to be replaced.
  It is impossible to reach some areas of a Studebaker to remove salt (unless you remove the rear quarter panels every year) and the chassis is probably toast also if there were any holes drilled into it.
  Both the body and chassis will rust from both inside and outside.
  The roll cage is probably welded from "seamed" steel pipe or of unknown thickness.
  If it has a quickchange rear, it is probably eaten up.  On and on.
  This is a historical car and I think it should be honored "AS IS" as a tribute to Neil and our sport.
                                             Bob

Bob, This is pretty much why I wanted to "only" own it instead of racing it (even back in the 70s)....

But, if, as you alluded to, it will be going to a/an/or THAT LSR Museum, that WOULD be a RELLY GOOD place for it to be!.... But, if it EVER gets put up for sale, I would want to know about it ASAP!..... I missed ONE car, so far, that, to me anyways, had HUGE LSR historical significance.... I still shed tears over the end that it received....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2023, 06:41:42 PM »
The Car was recently at an auction in Monterey CA. It did not have a taker for the set opening of $125,000...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro