Author Topic: 500 PP class rule questions  (Read 5582 times)

Offline MJ Williams

500 PP class rule questions
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »
My uncle asked me to post up a couple questions concerning some clarification on the rules for his 500 Suzuki in the PP class.
Can he cut a couple inches off the stock handle bars or replace them with something lower and narrower as long as they use the stock mounting location and stock controls?
Lower the ride height on the bike by changing the link in the back and using a strap on the front or modifying the fork internals.
Mill the stock head.
Change the cams
Thank you for you input.
MJ 

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: 500 PP class rule questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
Looking at the rules on the BUB forum it seems that all the mods you list are legal.  This was typed on a keyboard not carved in stone.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
I am pretty sure you cannot lower the bike in production. You can't in SCTA.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Here is the link to the AMA rules used at BUB

http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2012_event/2012-AMA-BUB-SR%27S-FINAL.pdf

Fred is correct that you cannot lower the bike. It must be stock height, which is usually measured as the published ground clearance.

You can alter the handlebars according to these restrictions:
"Handlebars are restricted to 15-inches above, 4-inches in front of original mount or 4-inches lower. All handlebars that mount to the original mount and meet the criteria in this section are acceptable."

But you wanted to make them narrower which would not be allowed.

Engine changes would be allowed as long as they are not visible and the stock displacement is not altered.

The current 500cc PP record is 112.476 mph so that should be do-able.

Good Luck,
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
Maybe you could move the handlebar grips inboard and let the ends stick out.  This would get your arms and hands inboard a bit and still have "stock" handlebar width.  The handlebar ends would have a lot less drag than your elbows sticking out in the wind.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
The way I read the rules for Production is even more restrictive than SCTA or ECTA.  Chapter 4 states:

Production class motorcycles shall not be modified from Original Equipment at time of manufacture. e.g., frame, forks, gas and oil tanks, seat, front and rear lighting, fenders, wheels, brakes, air intake box and (unmodified) exhaust system. They shall also contain the engine that they where originally produced with.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
I think that is why they call it production instead of modified....  :roll:
Keep changes out of sight... internal are legal, external are not.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
What I am referring to is that the rule specifically states unmodified exhaust.  It doesn't matter if it is out of sight or not, if it has been modified it is illegal.  Well at least the way I read it.  :-)

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
The rule book does state an unmodified stock exhaust. That does bring up a couple question for me with newer bikes in the PP class. Like how does the catalytic convertor survive the rich fuel mixtures and race fuel? Also as far as unmodified, there were some bikes in the PP class last year that seemed to have real loud exhaust noise. A couple BMW 1000RRs and a certain CBR1000 Honda come to mind right off the bat. They sounded like they had race systems on them, you could hear them shift into each gear at the start line of the long track. Whereas similiar bikes in the PP class you would not hear the exhaust after the 3-4 shift.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
Read all of the first paragraph. You must keep the exit orfice the same as stock. What you can't see,  you can change.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RansomT

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
I am acquainted with a couple of teams that ran BUB last year in what they called Production.  Seems that there is a class for a Production Motor with a Modified Frame.  The Modified Frame in this case also refers to the exhaust.  So the old drag race class of Production seems to match what they could do.  I, personally, found exception with calling those bikes “Production”, but it’s in the BUB rules that way. So….

Both Fred and I have ran Production under SCTA and ECTA rules, which is where the bike must look as if it rolled off the showroom floor, but with modifications out of sight.   Some classes of BUB are not that way.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Out of sight modifications, me?? :-D
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
I am acquainted with a couple of teams that ran BUB last year in what they called Production.  Seems that there is a class for a Production Motor with a Modified Frame.  The Modified Frame in this case also refers to the exhaust.  So the old drag race class of Production seems to match what they could do.  I, personally, found exception with calling those bikes “Production”, but it’s in the BUB rules that way. So….

Both Fred and I have ran Production under SCTA and ECTA rules, which is where the bike must look as if it rolled off the showroom floor, but with modifications out of sight.   Some classes of BUB are not that way.

production motors with modified frames maybe a thing of the past.
check the 2012 rules before proceeding.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RansomT

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »

production motors with modified frames maybe a thing of the past.
check the 2012 rules before proceeding.

I was just going by my experience from last year (2011).  Yes, I agree, always check the current year rule book.

Offline AHG

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
"UN"- The opposite of (e.g.-Billy's exhaust system remained "un"modified, and or in original state in its entirety
so he could compete in the Production class, and be at ease while in impound.)  :-)

~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles