Author Topic: Your obituary, please  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Your obituary, please
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »
Here's something that just came across my mind - - offering you a chance to write your own obit for use here on landracing.com when the checkered flag is waved for you the final time.

Seriously, folks.  Many of us have stories that would be interesting to share with others in the form of "last words".  So - how 'bout if I offer to collect them from you, as you submit 'em, and save them in a file for when you've passed the finish line.  I'd expect the way to do it would have you send them to me -- and NOT SHARE them here on the forum.  You'd be welcome to tell the stuff that might not be ready for airing 'til you've kicked the bucket - whether for the sake of respecting others or because you didn't want to toot your own horn.  Write a few hundred words and then print it out on paper so you can re-read what you said (this is a fine way to edit your own writing), and then, after making changes and corrections -- send it to me for saving in the "obituary file".  When your number is called I'll find out about it one way or the other - and then post your story for you so we can all have one last chance to hear from you.

Interesting - but will you folks do it?  I expect you'll have some comments for me before we get this thing up and running, so let's hear what you think of the idea.

Boyoboy, talk about letting myself be open for abuse and punishment -- but I'll do it for the sake of the land speed racing community.  After all, now that landracing.com is in the Hall of Fame as a historian -- I guess I'd best make more efforts to assure that title is deserved.

Thanks, ladies and gentlemen.  What say you?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Your obituary, please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
  Slim, the main problem with that is I have run across a few individuals over the years whom I might want to "help meet their maker" right before I cash my chips in.
  Now I don't want to put you in a pickle but I would certainly want ALL of my accomplishments mentioned in my Obituary.
  Just in case you go before me, I don't want your probation........ er probate officer to accidently spoil all of my fun before it happens........................   Bob
                                        :evil: :roll: :evil:
Bob Drury

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
A bit weird but I think its a good Idea as you never know when its coming
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
No problem with a probate judge, Bob.  We've got living trusts set up and running -- which means the estate (if there's anything left) doesn't get probated (or, in other words, doesn't make it to the public domain).

As for ALL of your accomplishments -- is there anyone beside you that knows 'em all?  Nope, I betcha not.  Yes, I do admit that there are some things that you've (probably) done that you don't remember, but that's not what I mean. :evil:  Anyway -- if you want things told when you've croaked - you tell them to your obit before you kick the bucket.

As for you, Oz -- yup, I know it sounds a bit weird/uncomfortable - - talking about our own death.  But - since it's likely to happen to each of us someday -- why not accept that fact and do some of the stuff you'd want done - - and do it before you're gone? 

Remember, folks -- this is an idea I thought I'd bring to the table/Forum.  If you all think it's a crappy idea - we'll just drop it.  If any of you want to send something to me for posting when you hit the dusty trail -- send it along - but not as a post on the Forum, hey?  We don't want folks to think that you've died until you really have died.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
I think it has possibilities, the biggest issue I see is one of confidentiality until the time comes. Perhaps mail it as hard copy certified to Slim and he just holds the unopened mail until the need arises. Background comment -- News papers often have pre-written obits for high profile people in their files so they don't have to waste time looking up obscure facts about some one at the last minute.

This would be a chance for folks to make sure the record is correct regarding various facts such as car numbers, what records they held etc.

One related item I might throw out here for discussion and perhaps Slim would like to switch it off to a separate thread.

The children friends and families of the charter members of land racing at Bonneville (or any other accomplished participant for that matter), should encourage your relative/friend to do a living history video. Just sit down with them set up a video camera and chat, ask questions and draw them out in a one on one conversation.

Lots of Journalism students are being encouraged to do this by creating living history videos with our older Military veterans before their memories and personal histories are lost for ever. Many don't want to talk in detail to strangers but will open up with marvelous stories in one on one conversations with friends and family.

My father died when I was just a teenager and I many times wished that I had taken the time to ask him some simple questions about his life and experiences.

Just a thought to expand on Slim's offer.

Perhaps the best repository for the living history videos would be the new bonneville museum.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:19:49 PM by hotrod »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »
Obits are for the folks left behind to create.  Say what you will about me come the time.

BUT . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05beIXeAi2s
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
Geez, I don't have my bucket list done yet :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:45 PM »
Geez, I don't have my bucket list done yet :-o

I haven't even bought a bucket!  :|
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
Slim, as long as mine says "he counted the legends of LandSpeed Racing among his friends" the rest of it is just superfluous BS .... take care of that for me will ya  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Shit, I started LSR way too late in life!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
Obits are for the folks left behind to create.  Say what you will about me come the time.

BUT . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05beIXeAi2s

and mine neither!!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
I will start working on it now and hope to have it finished in 30 years or so.

Joe

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Exactly my thoughts.
Read my mind?

I will start working on it now and hope to have it finished in 30 years or so.

Joe
Ray C Wheeler

Offline fastman614

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:34 AM »
This does have possibilities.... as there are a lot of things that did happen over the years that may be forgotten by everyone else.... but when the recollection is retold, the memories all seem to come alive.

And to hotrod.... your little thesis on journalism students vis-a-vis older military veterans triggered a memory of my own.... I wish that one of us had done that with our own father as he never really said much about his experiences during WW2 and the (what we didn't know part of the) information is now lost forever.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.