Author Topic: Ohio Mile - Post your Pics, Videos and Stories Here  (Read 19117 times)

Offline Hooley

Re: Ohio Mile - Post your Pics, Videos and Stories Here
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »

Pro59jag,
               Congrats on your 200 club entry and your record at The Ohio Mile. I sure enjoyed visiting with you and your dad.  I didn't realize all the things you had to overcome to get there.

Congratulations again,
          Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Hey JAG59, the article in Hotrod about all the broken engines, transmission, etc. was heart breaking enough and you had tried for three years I think right up through the Oct. meet at Maxton. I was telling my guys your story on the 12 hr. trip to the track. Enjoyed meeting and talking with you.
Sure hope the prize money pays for all those parts?

Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
Hooley most of us budget guys have been to hell and back trying to break the 2.  I was ecstatic to see the Jag to go through over 2.  Imagine how fast it would have gone with 3 gears working.  Congrats.  Hooley, your car is awesome.  I was trying to explain it to my engine builder, and it took a picture for him to get it.  Do you run a radiator in a box?  I felt bad every time you got the line there was some ridiculous wait, it just sat there and chugged away, then ran like stink.  Any damage to the car?  Glad you're ok.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Hooley

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
David,
           There wasn't any damage to the car. We changed to alky last fall and lost an engine. We now have a good handle on it .
I know adding weight doesn't seem right but it does when you spin the tires. There was an extra 800# put in after last fall.  At Ohio 1st gear would still break them loose.  You know we didn't always have this blown engine. For the build and yearly progress you can check out Sumner's web site   http://purplesagetradingpost.com/  There is a lot of land racing on there to look at, too. 

We don't run a radiator, instead there is an 18 gal. water tank in the passenger area. We did this to keep the front end closed up. We are thinking about putting one for the mile runs. It will be easier to cool the engine faster between rounds. With the alky it isn't building much heat like gas did.

Setting at the line wasn't hurting anything but I was afraid it would run out of fuel. I think they were getting the catch nets up for me.  hehe

Hooley

David, thank you for the kind comments about the car. The Studes have been my favorites since before I could drive.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Pro59jag

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
Thanks Hooley for the hospitality in the staging lanes - my dad ( Chuck) and I had a lot of fun talking to you - your a genuine nice Oklahoma racer! As always the people you meet at land speed racing events are the coolest people in all of motorsports and look forward to every event we attend! Can not say enough for the staff and there hard work to pull off the first Ohio event - went very smooth despite the weather. Everyone has been very supportive on the effort to break 200 and really appreciate the encouragement and help from friends and family along the way to keep me motivated! To do this alone is not possible and with the nice people you meet along the way has fostered new friendships that last a life-time! One more item checked from the bucket list but will always continue land speed racing as long as there are records to break! Thanks again Kris.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
Kris, congrat's on the Ohio 200 Club,,, man I read the story and never knew you had those problems to overcome to get there,,, I also thought you went 200 at Maxton (I guess I was wrong)  No matter what,,, YOU DID IT,,, the Jag looks awesome,, and you know I like them old classic cars in flat and satin black !!!

See you in June ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
Don't know if this was posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wI1lcFZ9wM&feature=youtu.be

If it was just watch it again!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
Great video and a great promotional video!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete