Author Topic: Ohio Mile - Post your Pics, Videos and Stories Here  (Read 19114 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: Ohio Mile - Post your Pics, Videos and Stories Here
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »

Good lord that thing has the bouncies.  You need some front shock adjustment. Im sure that thing drove bad with the front end bouncing like girls on trampoleens!!!!!

I had the same issue with the bike.  The track has a lot of oscillation and with a stiff front suspension it gets very interesting, very quick.  On the fast end everytime I would open it up with the nitrous going, I "oscillated" the front end off the ground resulting in the crosswind blowing me off line with visions of cones incoming. When I backed off to get the line back, I would get head shake.  Open it up to get rid of the shakes and the process would start all over again.  Finally just gave up about 300 yards from the timing traps.  Working on a new front end setup for June ..........

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
The course is concrete poured in sections. It is flat but each section dips slightly at the seams. On a rigid framed motorcycle it is definately noticiable.

Offline entropy

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »

Good lord that thing has the bouncies.  You need some front shock adjustment. Im sure that thing drove bad with the front end bouncing like girls on trampoleens!!!!!

I had the same issue with the bike.  The track has a lot of oscillation and with a stiff front suspension it gets very interesting, very quick.  On the fast end everytime I would open it up with the nitrous going, I "oscillated" the front end off the ground resulting in the crosswind blowing me off line with visions of cones incoming. When I backed off to get the line back, I would get head shake.  Open it up to get rid of the shakes and the process would start all over again.  Finally just gave up about 300 yards from the timing traps.  Working on a new front end setup for June ..........

"I "oscillated" the front end off the ground..."

YIKES!!!!!
something VERY wrong in the suspension set up.
I am sure you can fix it. :cheers:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
Some pix!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
2 more!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Ditto!

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
My memory is not so great, some of you I met at Maxton a couple of times last year and the volunteers I got to know especially the starting line crew and I communicate with some of you. Some names that are used on the forum I cannot place with a car. What cars and owner/drivers won the Top Speed Challenge and approximate speeds. Did the 59 Jag break the 200 mph mark he has chased so long. I had read the article in Hot Rod a year or two ago and I know how close he has come and about the mechanical failures he has had and I visited with him on Friday as well as the Geezer crew and had communicated with Mr. Turner during the winter but I don't know what kind of speed they ran. I visited with Mr. Venable and know he fell a little short of completing the first leg of his trifecta but I bet he gets it in June. Met and talked with lots of others, the guys from Cape Cod with the super nice 79 Camaro, the gentleman with the fast red Mazda that had chute problems on his first run and Dave Grey with th 56 Corvette, he and I belong to a Corvette forum, but others I can't put cars with names and did not hear how fast anyone ran because I sat in the truck all day Saturday.
One other thing, someone suggested I bring a camera and take lots of pictures in a thread over the winter. I have lots of Maxton pictures but my Wife got me a pretty good little digital camera and I had a 4gb card in it. I took a lot of shots on Friday and some cars I would take two of at just a little different angle, then on Saturday my Guys had the camera all day and took pictures of me and everyone else. A couple of days ago my Sister took the card to a drug store in town and I told her to make double prints. I didn't purge the pictures so now I have between 500 and 600 pictures, some of your cars twenty times!

Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline geezer1

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
Hello Garrell,
The Jag went 204- well deserved. We went 188,202 and 213 - Mike "The Man" Riken pulled it all together and went 215 for the win in super street. I believe that the Waddel Brothers added to their jacket collection with a win in real street. I know the KT came and grabbed them for the awards presentation. There was a fast Gremlin lurking around, as well.
We're working now to get the rear end of the Geezer 2 planted much more firmly to the pavement to take full advantage of our Baker Engineering 555 - Riken will have to work a a hell of a lot harder next year...
Congratulations to you  and your family for making your record in Ohio happen - stay strong.

Best to you,

Geo Turner
Geezer Racing
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear the Jag finally broke 200 mph, some his attempts had to be heart breaking, congrats to you and the other Geezers on your success.

Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »
Nephew Joe on the drag frame ...

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
Geezer, thanks for the up date. with all of the excitement about the "track" I 'bout for got about the hot rod thingy. Congats to the folks that added the thier closet. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline RansomT

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

YIKES!!!!!

Even found it on a picture .... Don't know if the link will work, but you can see how the front end picks up.  I cross the timing marks at about 202.

http://dwphotos.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0U1C004L020131&po=131&pc=302

Offline Pro59jag

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »
My memory is not so great, some of you I met at Maxton a couple of times last year and the volunteers I got to know especially the starting line crew and I communicate with some of you. Some names that are used on the forum I cannot place with a car. What cars and owner/drivers won the Top Speed Challenge and approximate speeds. Did the 59 Jag break the 200 mph mark he has chased so long. I had read the article in Hot Rod a year or two ago and I know how close he has come and about the mechanical failures he has had and I visited with him on Friday as well as the Geezer crew and had communicated with Mr. Turner

Hey Garrell - just going to give you the low-down on what happened on Sat and Sun with the Jag and the problems that surfaced that tried to keep us out of the 2-club.
Changes to the Jag this year included removing the torque converter from the turbo 400 to improve efficiency and a #6 nitrous line to replace the #4 to improve flow to the solinoids. With the converter removed you must be pushed off the line in neutral and then shift into 1st when you hit 10-12 MPH. We found out early on the golf cart had just enough nads to push the Jag up to speed for a push start. Well that was fine till the golf cart shredded the drive belt. A ph call to NAPA and 79$ later we were back in business. Then on Sat morning as we were on our way to line up the engine kicked back and broke the starter! It took us all morning to find a starter and was fortunate enough to find a fellow racer in the pits that had an extra mini starter. So we were lucky to get our 175 pass in on Sat. I was suprised how slow the car accelerated in 3rd but with the converter removed you gain 21 MPH which dramaticly changed the gearing. I was hoping for 200 on the motor but was geared to tall. I run a 2.56 in the 12 bolt and should of changed to a 2.73 when I took the converter out. That left Sun to make a nitrous pass. Knowing that the lines were long and the chance of rain off in the distance I decided to change the nitrous setting from 150 hit to 180 hit knowing that I would have only one chance to break 200. We pushed off the line and car accelerated fine through first but when I went to 2nd it just free reved to the rev limiter - I shifted from 3rd - 2nd-3rd-2nd then realizing there was no 2nd shifted it in 3rd, turned on the nitrous at 2900RPM and let it eat for the rest of the mile! The tach said 5900 when I went through the traps and knew that I was probably shy of 200. Then my Dad met me at shut down with the news of 204.9 - man was I happy!!!
I really thought the time wasted going back and forth with the shifting cost me any chance of exceeding 200! So finally after several years and broken and melted parts we achived our goal!! :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:11:37 PM by Pro59jag »

Offline entropy

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:19 AM »
i don't think i can see anything about oscillation in the photo???

YIKES!!!!!

Even found it on a picture .... Don't know if the link will work, but you can see how the front end picks up.  I cross the timing marks at about 202.

http://dwphotos.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0U1C004L020131&po=131&pc=302

Offline RansomT

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:52 AM »
I was referring to the front end being light, the photos prior and after shows front end movement.