Author Topic: Motorcycle streamliner rules  (Read 21546 times)

Blue

Re: Motorcycle streamliner rules
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »
Hi all,

I am interested in building a 1000cc motorcycle streamliner, and intend on making one that is basically a standard motorcycle with a fully enclosed shell.  I would be laying forward to decrease frontal area but otherwise would use a fairly stock motorcycle frame.  For a better idea of what I want to do, think Charly Perethian and his "Rifle" high-mileage motorcycle, or Bert Munro's LSR efforts.  However, from reading the streamliner rules the SCTA expects the vehicle to be more like a 2-wheeled car than a motorcycle, and the rules are crafted around this configuration.  I am confident that I could make my streamliner meet the letter of the rules but do y'all think that the SCTA would allow it to compete?
OK, as an aerodynamicist I believe this would be an interesting way to go.  Granted the SCTA and BUB are very experienced in what to and not to do in fully enclosed 2-wheeled vehicles.  The question is how far can we reduce drag in a "sit-on" legal two-wheeler (I use that phrase very specifically) without incurring all the mechanical penalties of a streamliner or the safety issues that the sanctioning bodies are honestly trying to protect the rider from?

I believe, (granted, looking at nothing more than historical LSR and my own opinion...), that we can go MUCH faster with a "sit-on" than the current records.  I actually believe that we can exceed the current streamliner records (~350 mph) with a "sit-on". 

Never mind how.  The question I have is whether it would be allowed.  I'm not going to put the work into it unless it's legal.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 01:01:01 AM »
if burt himself showed at an scta event with his bike he wouldnt be allowed to run in the partial streamline or the streamliner class --if he took the body off maybe in A-gas or fuel--a streamliner (motorcycle ) requires lots of safety equiptment including a roll cage--buy a rule book and read it many times--build a rig to run in a class that you like --FOLLOW THE RULES--and you will get to run --dont follow the rules you wont---yes its that simple-- and whatever eric tells you about aero listen--write it down--read it--understand it ----just some thoughts  willie buchta
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:36:16 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »
Whatever you do just don't try to build a twin engine 2000 cc sidecar over the minimum wheelbase allotment... :mrgreen:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »
yea i know what you mean  ---ill get it done -willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
That "minimum wheel-base allotment" should be take out of the SCTA/BNI rule book........................
Back in the mid 1980's I put it in the rules with the approvel of Tom Evans to prevent a couple of
solo streamliners mounting a 3rd wheel and running the sidecar class.  We felt at the time the way they were planning to do it it would not be safe....................We have now moved on...... and most if not all the sidecar builders understand what they are doing, and how to build a safe outfit (Max being a good example).........So this rule should now go.......................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
bob  ive submitted a rule change --we will see what happens   thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
A British team leader announced plans to build a sit on style two wheeler with jet engine to attack the outright record a year before the FIM included construction guidelines into their rules.  Over twenty years ago there was another thrust powered two wheeler planned and its mock up made - rocket power with this one.

You could always follow the 'Budweiser' sponsored approach of Hal Needham and set the goal yourself and then go for it, ignoring anyones rule book and operating practices.  If it works out safely you will get positive press coverage.  Damage the rider or worse and you will get the 'know alls' telling you it was never going to be safe "at any speed".

The only other down side is that those who abide by National (SCTA) or current International (FIM) rules will discuss how "its against our rules" to have made such a machine.  But does that make the outcome any less historic?

[A view from a non biker who organised official (ACU) speed attempts in the UK for a sit on jet and rocket bike - "The Boost Palouste"]

Malcolm UK.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.