Author Topic: Motorcycle streamliner rules  (Read 21545 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I always thought
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 09:07:50 PM »
a sit on Roadster would teach them some respect.
Right Eric ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JimW

Motorcycle streamliner rules
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 09:29:55 AM »
An Italian named Tony Foale has written an excellent book on motorcycle chassis design, covering lots of the oscillation and other issues.  (in English)  Try www.tonyfoale.com

Thanks,
Jim.

Flaircraft

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:23 PM »
Thanks for the link Jim, I'll check it out.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 09:20:26 PM »
Vesco warned me about the curse, but heck what does he know..... I ran on it anyhow......My crash was 217mph at the 3... slid through the 4 at 174mph..... my better judgement and my better half told me to put a harley motor in the liner and run on a 1350 pushrod record and leave Bert's record alone!
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »
Jim
Tony Foale is a brit!
kr

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
Kent
Tony Foale is a Ozzie  who work in England and is now living in Spain

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »
I wont hold it against him. He seem like a fart smeller I meen smart feller

Offline JimW

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 10:02:53 AM »
oops.  Sorry Tony.  Love your book and learned a LOT from it.

Thanks,
Jim

High Gear

Memory
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 04:02:24 PM »
If I only had one (memory). Thanks for mentioning Don Sliger & his double Royal Enfield. When I watched the WFI documentary and it reminded me of those great bikes of the early 70's when the factories were making lots of promises. Don Sliger's bike was a favorite of mine and I could not remember his name....

About modern motorcycle streamliners. I've always believed it's a trade off between the early days of no rules (read simple to build) and today's challenging rules (read hard to build) and the advancement of lots of new technology (read more power).

Motorcycle streamliners have always been and will continue to be really hard to do, period.

Good luck with yours,

Gary

Flaircraft

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 02:06:17 PM »
I guess I can say that my main motivation for going to Speed Week is just to go...  I've wanted to go see it since I was a little kid and after watching The World's Fastest Indian I realized that not only could I go and spectate, but that I could actually put together a vehicle and compete for not a lot of cash outlay.  My goal for the bike is to make it operational and safe; ultimate speed is not a priority for me.  Moderately modifying a factory-built motorcycle is the cheapest, simplest way and also probably the safest, since almost the entire bike will be stock, proven components and geometries.  I won't have to spend tons of time designing and fabricating a vehicle from scratch and then wondering if it will actually work or not when I get there.  If I can get to the flats, make a few runs, and see the sights, I will come back a happy man.  I can always work more complexity into a vehicle in the future, but I figure you gotta walk before you can run!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE VIEW FROM INSIDE
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 03:51:36 PM »
Even if you have to borrow a Lambretta, see the event from the inside out and it will give
 you a perspective that you won't get any other way. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Xea

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
My boss is the one that bought Kents liner. What an incredably complex machine! To get everything up to snuff has required lots of hours. We will be out next week at the Bub meet. See you there!
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

landracing

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 12:55:51 PM »
oo another motorcycle liner at BUB's...

There are more motorcycle liners at BUB's meet that I can remember at any meet... Three and possibly four could take the 322 record at the same meet.

Going to be exciting.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 01:13:05 PM »
Do you suppose it is by design ?

Offline Rik

• New folks
Re: Motorcycle streamliner rules
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »
Tony Foale is a Englishman who was educated in Australia where he received a degree in electrical engineering,  then followed by a M.Eng.Sc. in nuclear engineering and then moved back to England in 1971 and worked there as a Factory manager and then engineer for several companies he then moved to Spain in 1987.