Author Topic: custom/homemade seat  (Read 3719 times)

Offline swackerle

custom/homemade seat
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
The space in my model t is really limited and I am having a hard time finding a manufactured seat that fits the small space that I have.  Does the rules allow you to make a seat that fits your specific application as long as it is made of sufficient metal?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Stan Back

Re: custom/homemade seat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
We found it easier (and maybe cheaper) to cut down a Kirkey, rather than build from scratch.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
To answer your question, yes.
As to Stan's point, yes again.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »
And, sitting on the floor in a little dent does wonders.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
. . . as long as you close off your decklid.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotschue

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
Hello Sam....Just removed a "skinny" kirkey seat with upholstery.  Seems my ah, you know, doesn't fit so needed to buy new one.  Free, I'm 1 hour from Frederick airport just pick it up.  Give me  a call if you want410 279 5021...Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
In my roaster opps roadster it sit on a 1/4" steel plate and lean back on a 1/8" aluminum plate. My sides are duezed in 1/8" aluminum plates between the roll gage. Don't think I'll be moving anywhere and no manufactured seat works well in a center steer car where you sit right on top of the drive shaft............The snapped thin padded tuck-n-roll gives it that old sprint car look too......Good Luck 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
I's thinking Hotshue might just take the upholstery out and then fit -- unless he had a really festive holiday season.
Stuff probly catches on fire, anyway.

Stan

Offline swackerle

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Thanks guys this is great information!

hotschue, I'll give you a call tomorrow about the seat.  Even if I go the custom route, it would be great to have a nice platform to start with.

Thanks again everyone,
Sam