Author Topic: Classic Engine classes  (Read 14646 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Classic Engine classes
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
Neil,

There are separate events. These guys are talking about the BUB meet. Different deals, same problems.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
I guess I should have read further in this thread-- sorry.

As Miss Emily Latella used to say on Saturday Night Live, "What's all this I hear about endangered feces?.....Oh, that's very different-- never mind."

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 07:43:12 AM »
First I want to say that BUB offers us motorcycle riders a tremendous opportunity to run our bikes at the Salt Flats and I want to congratulate them on their dedication and a job well done.  All land speed events have their long lines, from what I hear and they are a fact of life.  I think BUB has an opportunity to improve their event in the future, and I'm sure they are constantly thinking about it.  I am a relative new-comer to the sport (3 years), but I do have a suggestion.

The problem with having only two courses and a few too many bikes, is that lines will get longer and longer, just like they do at the bank when only two wickets are open.  If you add one more course, like opening up one more wicket at the bank, the lines will actually start to get shorter and eventually, there will be no line. ("Cuing theory", if anybody wants to investigate.)

If money and volunteers were available, a 3rd "mini-course" could be set up to the west of the pits where some people practice (maximum speed limit for practicing is only 60mph, if my memory serves me well, which is not a lot of good anyway), say only 3 miles long, for those who are content with a mile acceleration and a mile of shut-down would really speed up the event.  Most of the RWB riders would probably choose this shorter course, and most of the smaller bikes would benefit from such a course.  I would use it for my BSA as I don't think I need more than one mile of acceleration, and at 119mph, I can practically coast down without touching my brakes in one mile.  Staging could still be done at one location, with a few lanes set aside for the "mini-course", just as they do now for the RWB course.

Of course, this 3rd "mini-course" could be set up between the pits and the existing short course, but that would inhibit spectators from being able to see the faster bikes.

These are just my thoughts, and I know that a third lane with all the timing equipment and personnel required would not be a cake walk.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:48:46 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
Koncrete Tom
I agree 100% with you that a short-short course is needed. Why should a 50cc bike have to run 3 miles? By three miles the engine is worn out and needs to be rebuilt.
The short-short course would be for slow bikes (read Harleys) and the Run-What-You-Brung-ers. You would have your choice of what rules to run under - either RWYB or AMA.

I think it would reduce wait times. I hope AMA/BUB considers it.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
in 2007 there was a short course located on the west side during the Bubs event. It was specifically for the "Run what you brung" entrants but AMA record entries could run on it but not for record ...  Bubs has come a long way from then.  In 2007 on day One, I waited in line all day and didnt run once. The event is run quite well now.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
BUB has gotten better every year, last year some of the the wait time was due to wind and a good call. I was able to go in the morning but had to hang a leg out to keep going straight. They also advised if you do not need the full course to pull off at the early markers. On one of our RWYB bikes we did just that at the 4 mile. Got back in line and was out again in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

If you don`t need all of it, pull off and get back in line.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Tom and others......and remember this is only coming from a 1st-year contender.......lots of record runs means LOTs of return runs that eat up a lot of time.  Maybe the RWYB could run at specified times or within a certain time period, or in RWYB-only groups on the 3-mile for a limited number of days. 

Yes, its a great event and growing..........More volunteers are needed, and more salt, less wind, no rain, and pretty soon more help in the tech-area to check all of the new record holders.   
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
Just got off the phone with BUB, as they are having web entry challenges. As pre reg closes Friday, if you can`t make the web site work, fax over the entry for manual entry.

The new classic class is going to be very large,so they will hold off the RWB folks Sunday.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 07:41:35 AM »
Tom, Glen, Cranberry.........that's why I am asking.  I think its a great Idea to have a Classic period of bike landspeed records.......but why not declare the exact range of say 1956 to a specific year.........or air-cooled only.......or less than 100 hp when new production.......???
I agree.....the classic class is a good idea but it will need a specific year range written into the rules before liquid cooled 4 valve engines from the mid 1980's become legal.  I am not familiar with the proceedure for BUB rule change proposals, but somebody needs to address this in the next couple years.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com