Author Topic: Roll cage gussets  (Read 27450 times)

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
Roll cage gussets
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
Haven't had the car out in a few years and reading through the rule book I see "Gussets are required at junctions of hoops and shoulder rail" also that plate gussets must be 4' per side. My gussets are the kind you can buy from Summit or Jegs that are about 2" per side I have quite a few . My question is where do I need to put in bigger gussets it is a nascar style cage so I would need two where the top hoop meets the main hoop and I am not sure what shoulder bars are? TY
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline zenndog

Re: Roll cage gussets
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
pics?

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Do you have the lastest rule book? There was a change made to gussets;

"Gussets are required at tube junctions of hoops and shoulder rail. Gussets shall either be made of plate, tubing or fabricated from sheet. Plate gussets shall be made from mild steel, .125 in. minimum thickness and 4 in. per side, preferably stitch welded on the outside of the tube junction. Tube gussets shall be a minimum of 1 in. O.D., round steel tubing with a minimum .120 in. nominal wall thickness although it is recommended that tube gussets be of the same O.D. and wall thickness as the main roll cage material. Tube gussets shall be constructed such that the outside edge of the tube gusset be at least 4 in. from the tube junction point, see Figure 3. Gussets are required at all shoulder bar attachment points. Grinding of welds is NOT permitted, see Figure 2. Gussets may not be used as aerodynamic aids and shall not exceed 6 in. in length without prior technical review and board approval."

Could be wrong but I think Nathan put in for this rule change, in my opinion I think it was needed.

Mike
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
Yes, that rule is the reason I am asking I just need to find out where they are wanting them. then I am planning on putting tube gussets and leaving my existing gussets. The way I read it I would need to put them where the top hoop meats the main hoop and if I were to assume I would put them where the top hoop meets the bars that come down through the dash. It says required AT ALL shoulder bar attachment points. Whats a shoulder bar. TY

Hopefully pics soon

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:59:48 PM by Rocket123 »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
The gussets are required to be open at the corners (I believe to allow the "Jaws of Life" type shears to get at the tubes if necessary).   

The line about Shoulder Bars is confusing to me, also.  If someone could point out what the Shoulder Bars are in your photo, that might be helpful.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »
The gussets are required to be open at the corners

OK so I will have to cut the old gussets out. I only want to do this at the required junctions and leave any other gussets as they are. TY

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
The gussets need a corner open for drain and salt build up from causing rust at the joint. The roll bars can be cut above the gusset. I have cut a few off with no problem.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline zenndog

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
Interesting, I figured they were to add strength but still leave the joint a little give if put to the ultimate test so the cage didn't just bend above the gusset and leave a nice strong looking joint in the center of a crumpled up roll cage.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
The gussets need a corner open for drain and salt build up from causing rust at the joint. The roll bars can be cut above the gusset. I have cut a few off with no problem.

Wow I didn't know that either. I would think a shoulder bar is the hoop that passes over your head, closest to your helmet. I could be wrong about that. 
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
What about cars that use saddle gussets?  There are quit a few of them out there, will they have to change over also? Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
Tony I guess that's up to the inspectors, this should be directed to the Tech. committee at SCTA / BNI & ECTA, I have seen all three types on cages.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
  Tony, just remember that the requirements are for "minimums".
  In my case I used inch and a quarter round tubing spaced out six inches each way from all intersections of the main cage from front to rear.
  I have had many inspecters in the last fifteen years complement me on my cage.
  The only problem is that I powdercoated the entire chassis/cage assembly and now I would like to add a funny car style double hoop and can't do it without removing the entire body to grind off the powder coating...........             Bob        :-P
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
What about cars that use saddle gussets?  There are quit a few of them out there, will they have to change over also? Tony

If it is a fully welded saddle clamp there is no way for salt to get inside anyway, moot point. There is a car in the build section and it had these gussetts. I believe the discussion said Kiwi Steve signed off on them.

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:34 PM »
Saddle gussets are still OK for use. Shoulder bars are generally found in open cars such as roadsters or lakesters. Look at figures 2A & @B in your rulebook.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth