Author Topic: Roll cage gussets  (Read 27453 times)

Offline Fordrat31

Re: Roll cage gussets
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Has any one found a place that sells a saddle gusset that meets spec (.125" X 4" sides)? I looked at A&A but the largest they have is 3.750"

Mike
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Tman

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Has any one found a place that sells a saddle gusset that meets spec (.125" X 4" sides)? I looked at A&A but the largest they have is 3.750"

Mike

I have not, I love A&A, maybe we could talk them into doing a run?

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »

Mike

That's a good idea. I will shoot them an email later today.

Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »

Cool, let us know what you find out. I am sure more here would like to order some.

Mike

That's a good idea. I will shoot them an email later today.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
The minor problem that I see is that even if someone made a gusset in that dimension, it`ll only work in a right angle joint.  The 4 " side is going to 'shrink" as soon as you fit it into any place that has an angle to it. Maybe if someone with a press brake (me) were to bend up rectangluar pieces that could be cut/fit to the joint? :cheers: Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »
I was just walking through our shop at work, and looked at some rectangular tubing that I thought might be capable of being cut into saddle gusset like shapes.  The biggest issue I could see here is that if I were to cut an angled section out of a piece of rectangular tubing, it would still consist of 90 degree corners.  I think the saddle gussets are formed with a radius to match the tube.

I need to noodle on it a bit more.  I wonder if a piece of 2 x 6 x 1/8" wall rectangular tubing would work for the starting stock for saddle gussets.  It could be cut to virtually any angle.  Would the square corners present a problem, as they would not "wrap" around the 2 tubes?

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
A little work with a grinder or a lot of work with a file should make a perfect fit on the round tubing providing your cage is built from 1 3/4" or larger diameter tubing. I'd probably be looking for some 1" x 4"  or 1 1/2" x 4"  1/8" wall tubing if I was going that route. I'd probably be more likely to build my own from 1/8" sheet and form them with a press. The required die would be rather simple to build and the forming could be done in a pretty small press.

Pete

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
I sent an email to A&A asking if they would be interested in making saddle gussets to fit with in the rule, this is the reply I received;

"sorry, our dies will not accommodate that size".

Guess were out of luck with A&A.

Mike

Offline Tman

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
Yeah PJ, I was thinking the same thing. Be real easy to form them on a press.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
Just use tube gussets!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
Way too simple Joe!  :-D :-D :roll:

Don't forget to drill vent holes into the cage so that your tungsten doesn't get larger as you weld.  :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Fordrat

I use eMachineshop.com, they have a free basic CAD program that is pretty easy for us Non-CAD guys to figure out. They will laser, water cut  or mill about anything you want. As expected, the more you order the lower the per piece price is. If you know someone that needs similar gussets maybe you can combine the order. You can design, choose the material and thickness and the software gives you a computer genenrated price in real time. If you have something real complex you can submit it to the machinist for input on the best way to get your part made.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

It is not the cheapest...some people have access to this equipment but I do not. I built some shifters to accommodate my seat position. it took about 8 days for my parts to arrive.

Just an option I thought I would share.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
Fordrat

I use eMachineshop.com, they have a free basic CAD program that is pretty easy for us Non-CAD guys to figure out. They will laser, water cut  or mill about anything you want. As expected, the more you order the lower the per piece price is. If you know someone that needs similar gussets maybe you can combine the order. You can design, choose the material and thickness and the software gives you a computer genenrated price in real time. If you have something real complex you can submit it to the machinist for input on the best way to get your part made.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

It is not the cheapest...some people have access to this equipment but I do not. I built some shifters to accommodate my seat position. it took about 8 days for my parts to arrive.

Just an option I thought I would share.

Bill

Hey that's a pretty neat business. You weren't kidding when you said they weren't the cheapest though...

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
Fordrat:

No not cheap, but I have used them twice when I could not find something that I needed.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
on my new lakester I was asked to cut out the "point" of my triangles so that the jaws could and the salt couldnot get into the corners  I will use a larger size strap for making the rest of mine so that it leaves some clearance and you can see the corner joints.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!