Author Topic: Introduction and a few Bloodhound photos  (Read 4041 times)

Offline smarjoram

• www.stefanmarjoram.com
Introduction and a few Bloodhound photos
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
I've been lucky enough to land what is for me a dream job. Last year I joined the Bloodhound SSC team as their film-maker, photographer and artist. It's been a fascinating time and I've met many inspirational people and it's a real treat to chat to team members who have been through it all before. The educational side of the project is admirable and it's been great to see children building balloon cars and being shown how much fun STEM subjects can be - over 5000 schools have now joined the programme!

Now that I've found this forum I'll post occasional updates when we reach some of the big milestones. if you'd like a more in-depth look I've started a gallery for some of the photos I've been taking...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanmarjoram/sets/72157627819481179/

... and the films I'm making can be found on the website - http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

I'd also like to wish the best of luck to all the other teams that are out there - I'm really looking forward to seeing how the projects progress - and how they tackle some of the things we've come up against.

I'll leave you with a few photos. First off, a detail of the EJ200 jet engine which will used to get the car up to about 300mph...

We're using a Cosworth Formula 1 engine to drive the pump which will force the HTP into the rocket. This is the gearbox that will link the two...

Ron Ayers, our chief aerodynamicist brought in this model of Thrust SSC. It's solid metal, covered in sensors and was attached to a rocket sled to measure the pressures on the car at supersonic speeds...

Here's a quick sketch of the rocket test-rig which left the building today. There will first be some runs with de-ionised water and providing that all goes to plan they can move on to the firing of Britain's biggest ever rocket...

Lastly, here's a picture of me sitting at the wheel of another Land Speed Record car - the FIAT S76 from 1911. 4 cylinder, 28 litre, it was known as the Beast of Turin and sadly never managed to set an official record despite reported runs of over 130mph...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Introduction and a few Bloodhound photos
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »
Welcome to landracing.com. Thanks for the great build photos. It's a major design and build that can be seen in your pictures. We are all waiting to see the test and record attempts. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »
Stefan, I'll second Glen's comments.  Your photos and illustrations will be welcome without a doubt.  We've enjoyed seeing many projects move toward completion -- and the Bloodhound SSC holds to be as exciting as any.  Please do keep us informed and entertained as the progress continues.  And - welcome to the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
Hey, Stefan -

Welcome aboard, Mate!

Went through Stefan's online portfolio about a week ago - there's a very nice set of drawings he has of some of the great record holders through the years.  It's my hope our correspondence nudged you to join us on the forum.

You get to Bonneville, I'll be the tall guy in the little car.  :cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline smarjoram

• www.stefanmarjoram.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. Chris, you might like this photo of my grandfather's that I came across today... http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanmarjoram/6947328374/in/photostream

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
Welcome Stefan, I found your work through the HAMB and am a fan!