Author Topic: Roll cage gas coupe C  (Read 11836 times)

Offline Boostedballs

Re: Roll cage gas coupe C
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »

Where did you find it for $4 a foot?  Tony
[/quote]

Del Paso Pipe & Steel, Inc.
www.delpasopipeandsteel.com/

5519 Raley Boulevard
Sacramento
(916) 992-6500

The order took less than 24hrs for them to have it on hand.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
Pretty Good price. If you are coming to Speed Week, look for me in Inspection. I`ll send/take you down to meet Gib Lama. I really like the cage in his Monza. Kiwi Steve took me down to see it last year. That is, providing he is entered this year. The Cohn Monza has a different design, but is equally as interesting. Hope to see you.....

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
I will be at Speed Week this year and I look forward to meeting you and seeing some cages!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
FYI: I called your supplier for tubing and found out that his stuff is made in India. If you are buying from them at the bare minimum I would get the mill test certificate with the purchase.  I just don't know enough of how good the metallurgy is in India, though more and more metal coming here is from India.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SteveM

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »
I'm a metallurgist by day, and buy quite a bit of steel (about $3M per year) - none of it from India. Their quality is too inconsistent for engineered commercial products.

I cannot recommend any Indian mills that I would trust 100%

Steve M.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
I have my "two cents worth" to add here.... since I have been told that I too am merely an armchair expert, it can't be worth any more than that!.....

DO NOT get too fixated on the "under chassis sub connectors".... the bulk of Monza (and Vega) stock chassis strength is in the rocker panels! The so-called front framework is really little more than stiffeners in the floor so that the seat bolts don't pull through. You will find that, if you drill a hole through the inner side of the rocker panel (from under the car towards the outside) it is two layers thick and totalling well over 1/8"... Look carefully at the "boxed members at the rear of the front wheel wells and you will see that they wrap around and connect with the rocker panels.... at the rear of the rocker panels, similar "boxed members" are also present.

As has been stated earlier, put any/all front to rear connectors inside the car - both for rules compliance AND aero-drag under the car.....

And, if you are serious about a "safe" roll cage, spend the $100 or so extra and get tubing that is made here in North America by a reputable tube manufacturer!.... over the course of 10 or so years of running your car, the extra cost will NOT amount to a whole lot in dollars and cents!

If you are looking for cages to copy or emulate, look us and our Chevy Vega up.... Although were ARE ONLY an Altered Class car due to a non stock frame.... See pic for the Vega....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
Fastman know of what he speaks. Some pretty good $0.02. here are a couple of pics during Amy's camaro build. we ran sub frame connectors then tied them into the rockers front and rear.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
I appreciate the replies and even the bad news about the origin of the tubing. :cheers: I suppose I should get a couple pieces of American made tubing for the main parts of the cage and use the Indian stuff for the rest. I will be going overboard on the gussets anyway. Speed Week is just a few days away!
Hope to meet some of you guys out there!

-Charles

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
http://www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/Jegster-Roll-Bar-Tubing/751556/10002/-1

What about this tubing from Jeg's? I had bought some ten foot lengths a while back and there wasn't any extra shipping. Phil