Author Topic: Roadster pick up in STR?  (Read 51820 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Roadster pick up in STR?
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
. . . at least when it doesn't match a PASSENGER cab, not a Commercial.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
Scotties muffler did it. Coupe into a roadster it was a 34 and hauled A$$.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »
5.B.1. Modified Roadster..."production roadster body or an exact replica of a roadster body..."

5.B.1a Rear Engine Modified Roadster..."production or exact replica of a roadster body..."

5.B.2 Fuel-Gas Roadster..."production roadster body or an exact replica of a roadster body..."

5.B.3 Street Roadster..."American production roadster body or an exact replica..."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
"Scotties muffler did it. Coupe into a roadster it was a 34 and hauled A$$."

Scotty's Muffler.  Same contour and shape as a roadster with the doors a little longer.  Probably closer to an actual roadster than the fiberglass "replicas" are today -- at least the 28-29's.

He also filled in the wheelwells with this one a couple of years ago.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
Modified Roadsters  or Fuel-Gas Roadster

As I read and re-read the rules if I chopped the a pillar and the back of the cab down to the top of the doors and maintain the required 28.25 "
this should "exactly duplicate updated 10-20-2013"  the roadster pu body.

I should be allowed the 152" for a 34 Ford  or the original overall length.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:52:44 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
Modified Roadsters  or Fuel-Gas Roadster

As I read and re-read the rules if I chopped the a pillar and the back of the cab down to the top of the doors and maintain the required 28.25 "
this should duplicate the roadster pu body.

I should be allowed the 152" for a 34 Ford  or the original overall length.  Am I missing something?

Time and Money  :-D
Have fun Bill
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
There only one gas/fuel roadster I know that is still running and started life as a coupe. The practice is allowed but most today do not use steel bodies which as the say are too valuable. To me using a pickup in the Street Roadster class not worth it BUT using a 29-31  coupe with the top wacked off is promising so I could keep my 6'1" frame out of the air as much as possible by sitting back. The pickup does have enough room to sit in stock seems like a waste of a good start on a street rod or rat.

If I were to do that I would document every cut and measurment to prove I did it at the exact spot the top met the rear deck so as not to be ch--ting which I would never do.  :roll: Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
Thank you 4 Barrel Mike!

From post #107, in several places; ..."production roadster body or an exact replica of a roadster body..." 

The word production can be researched in Wiki, Webster's and many other spots. Boils down to the SCTA interpretation, the old wrestle with a pig in the mud. One of the two enjoy it.

Don't you have a lakester to work on Sparky?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
Yes Dan, but the Lakester is almost finished and I have a bunch of left over "Stuff" that could be put to higher and better use--- like a "fuel-gas ROADSTER" or a mod roadster!   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »
Maybe you should start with a passenger roadster rather than a commercial vehicle.  Just a thought before you get too far.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
Stan has a good idea. Plus--I`ve a soft spot for 34 Pickups....I almost finished one 20 plus years ago, but had to sell it when I moved North. How about engineering a trade of sorts, Sparky?....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
SB  a roadster PU is far from just a "commercial vehicle."  It is a 3 pass vehicle with a short bed.  In most states one must be over 8600# or 10,000# to be considered a "Commercial Vehicle"  But I understand what the Mayor is trying to tell me.  There are more that just written rules.  The rules have to be "explained".

I am just trying to get them explained to me by the Roadster Committee Contact.  So far no response.