Author Topic: Roadster pick up in STR?  (Read 51823 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: Roadster pick up in STR?
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:48 AM »
The #173 Roadster is Shane Hill`s car. It`s previous owner escapes me. Shane hasn`t run the car for a while. He worked for Jay Steel at Taylors Engine for a while, as well as driving a Brown truck. His family man duties may preclude the car coming out for a while longer.....

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Did they say why?

The guy who wrote the SR rules said that "widening of the rear tread to allow the tires to protrude beyound the fenders" wasn't ever meant to mean that the tires can be completely outside the fenders.  Protruding from implies that at least some of the tire is being covered by the fenders to begin with.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Well Nathan, we already know that there is no width rule on rear fenders in S/R, just look at all them trailer fenders......  :-o  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline zenndog

« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
Dyno-The fenders must be stock. I think there is a reference to stock width as well.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
"I sent an e-mail to Russ"

So did I about 3 weeks ago---no reply yet!

How long did you have to wait for a reply   :?

I have a 34 ford Pu cab and bed---that is the last year that Ford built roadster pickups.

My questions are:
 where can one find the "allowed" dimensions
 can pickup roadsters be run in the other  roadster classes,
 if so,  how is the bed treated when the others allow for the seat placement be moved out of the original driver compartment.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:51:17 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
The Bob & Judy Sights/Nate Sable street roadster is in Penn Valley Ca. (North east of Sac.) and being worked on slowly. Owner Lee Wilbourne has replaced the rusty frame rails, upgraded the roll cage and is bringing it up to 2014 rules and standards. It may be on the salt in 2014 with Ray Fioresi's Hal (V4/VOT) in it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
Happy to hear that car is being "racerstored" back to active duty
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »
 I am new to asking questions about Roadsters:
just acquired a 34 Ford Pu cab and bed---1934 is the last year of Fords roadster pickups the top of this cab is a mess considering making a roadster pu out of it.
 I didn't want to start a new thread about Roadster PU because I believe in trying to add as much info in one thread to make research easier.

1. Does Russ reply to emails? How long should I expect?
2 What is the relationship of Roadster Pus to roadsters, ie is the bed considered part of the body?

Offline Tman

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
Sparky, might be worth talking to the North of the 49 Crew since they ran a RPU for a few years.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
I don't see your point Sparky. Stock fenders in stock location. I believe they can be "bobbed" to the bottom of the body. Yours are mounted on the bed. Rule says body so they must only go as low as the body. My guess would be where the running board was if you are removing them. Most have found out the lower the fender is the better aero so some have quit "bobbing".

If you have the idea of make the rear tread width so wide that you could lower the rear of the vehicle and the rear tires were outside of the stock fenders that may not break a "rule" but would never pass muster in any state that required fenders. These are considered to be "street legal" cars: lights, horn, etc.

This comes for a guy who has had more rules added to the roadster classes to eliminate a vehecle than anyone. (not by me but against)...Mark my words and be very carefull how you "use" the roadster rules. They all come out of the woodwork..."just sayin"

Street roadsters just stick up in the air and the only way to get the rear down is 22.5" tires  under the stock fenders and if you've ever seen that you know why guys don't do it.....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
The thread was started by asking about roadster pickups in Street Roadster.

Sparky seems to be asking about Gas/Fuel Roadster.

Either way, the Rule Book is clear about using (in bold face) Production Automobile bodies.  Does a '34 roadster pickup use the same Automobile body as earlier (Ford) roadster pickups did -- such as a Model A?  Or does it use the Commercial (Truck) cab and grille?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
Sparky, which roadster class do you want to run?
If You want to run in STR than the driver must sit in the original
drivers compartment.If You wish to build Your
34 for FR/GR , I do not know why You could not sit back in the car as the rules
allow, bed or not. I will question the master for You when I talk with later today.
Hoping You are have a productive lakester day.
Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »
As far as I can tell, Ford built 347 open cab trucks in 1934.  That cab is IMO worth way to much to make into a Bonneville racer.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »
Mike, don't worry, its a regular truck, Bill is whacking the top off... so it is just rare.... not ultra rare  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
I don't think that a pickup or coupe with the top cut off is a SCTA legal roadster  :? 

Butwaddaeyeno?  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!