Author Topic: Roadster pick up in STR?  (Read 51818 times)

Offline zenndog

Re: Roadster pick up in STR?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Thanks Stan, I didn't  see the stock T grill part though, I will re read.....I keep in in the bathroom on top of the toilet  :-D

I found it in another part of the rule book, a different roaster class, it is based on a 1928 ford grill. The model T grill is smaller I think.

Yeah as I sit here trying to finish my taxes I was thinking about the difficulties of trying to squeeze in a clutch pedal ect. Especially as my budget continues to shrink :?

Rich's 29 GR is a tight fit and that is not restricted to the original passenger area.

I think a bobbed 32 shell would be the most areo

I was curious about the rear fenders, most of the images I see of STR seem to stretch the rules as written, at least as far as what it looks like to me. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:42:30 PM by zenndog »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »
I was curious about the rear fenders, most of the images I see of STR seem to stretch the rules as written, at least as far as what it looks like to me. Am I wrong?

Believe you can bob to the bottom of the body.  Seems like most that I've seen are compliant. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Gotta use T fenders on a T. The use of other fenders, '32, trailer, etc not llowd.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
I'll point out one more item on the fenders...Stock location. Seems like everyone with a street roadster want to lower them and that would be to run a 22" tire because the body positioning must be in the stock location so all the SR's are up in the air.

My rule books are not in front of me but I think it is written you definately can use the tee grille shell  on the 26-27 but it you cut down a later one like a '32 IT must not be smaller than the 530"....Check that would you J.K.

The 530 also is measured at the hood part line and not the front....Up thur 31 the front and back are probably the same...............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
One slick body  for SR is the 30-31 Model A.  It doesn't have the coupe' pillar of the 28-29, the stock hood is 2" longer, plus there's a indent under the seat in the stock floor that goes down an inch or two for side curtain storage.  Just so happens that your seat can fit there at a nice angle.

And there's the 28(?) Dodge that the Montana Dodge Boys use.  Looks about as narrow as a 26-27 T, but has a longer hood and passenger compartment to offset the T problems.

If we hadn't owned our 29 for 50 years this month, and after 10+ years figuring out the above, I think we'd of looked around for some other candidate of some off-brand (non-Ford) shell that might measure up.  They could come a lot cheaper (you don't need the whole car) and who knows -- maybe the '24 Willys Great-6 might be a winner.

Stan Back

(I personally like the 30-31 Model A 2-door phaeton (or whatever it's called) with a hard tonneau.  The only real problem with that is -- it's illegal.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline zenndog

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
Can the  PU bed have a cover?

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13:58 AM »
Can the  PU bed have a cover?

Yes, flush

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
And must be full length.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline zenndog

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
DW- I figured the fenders had to be model T

Thanks for all the input everyone. I know this is an unlikely choice for a competitive LSR car but I appreciate the responses to my query.

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a turtle deck but I am looking into the PU while I wait.

I had actually dismissed the idea of this body a while back but now I am reconsidering.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:37:04 PM by zenndog »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
Isn't that body more like half a touring rather than the front half of a roadster -- or are they all the same?  Fiberglass turtledeck sure wouldn't cost much.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Roadster pick up and roadster bodies are the same. The panel behind the seat on a "factory" roadster pick up is smooth while the roadster has a raised section that sits under the turtle deck where it mounts. This is mainly cosmetic and not seen. I believe the PU bed could be ordered from/at the dealership if you wanted to change your/a Roadster into a truck.

Here is a roadster pick up seat back

http://macsautoparts.com/model-t-ford-front-seat-back-panel-no-embossing-roadster-pickup-tm332pu/camid/MDT/cp/JS0R3CHL1129042/

Here is a roadster

http://macsautoparts.com/model-t-ford-front-seat-back-panel-flat-panel-portion-roadster-tm332/camid/MDT/cp/JS0R3CHL1070926/

The profile in terms of how they sit in the wind is the same.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
This post has nothing to do with land racing, just sharing.

Here is a picture of a "junk" body that came with my 26 PU. There was also a front seat back in the stuff from what I assume is a 26/27 touring. The body had sat on the "points" of the rear quarter panels in the dirt so they were rusted away. I spent a summer staring at it and held the Touring seat back in place and then fit it in as such. I cut up two rotted doors and used the tops, my plan is to weld in some panels where the doors would have been. This is not for a LSR project, as I said above.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:40 PM »
Zenn --

Got it!

PM sent.

Stan

Offline Freud

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
I turned all the lights on.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline zenndog

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
The T body is physically smaller.  That's part of the problem in Street Roadster.  The driver's compartment is both shorter and lower.  And the hood is shorter.  All make the driver stick out in the wind a great deal more, al least with a V-8 motor.  The 530" is based on a 28-9.  But you can use the stock T if you're using a T body.  Read the book, then read it again. 

I have been unable to locate the rule that states I can use a stock t grill/radiator. All I find is the 530 sq in requirement. Can anyone point it out to me?  :?