Author Topic: Roadster pick up in STR?  (Read 52009 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Roadster pick up in STR?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »
"radiator needs to be bobbed so the hood line is flush. It seems this should be ok according to the rules."

The stock radiator shell must not be altered in depth or width.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline zenndog

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
"radiator needs to be bobbed so the hood line is flush. It seems this should be ok according to the rules."

The stock radiator shell must not be altered in depth or width.

Maybe my use of the term "bobbed" is incorrect, I meant to shorten the height, not alter the depth or width. Maybe this is an affirmation that I am correct?

DW - With a 14" inch minimum wheel size, a 17" wheel/tire combo seems unlikely.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »
How do you intend to "shorten the height" without sectioning the shell? Thus altering the square area of the radiator? Or are you meaning to just drop it down between the fram rails the same amount as you channel the body? How will that work with the crossmember?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:46:13 PM by RichFox »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »
I don't see any restrictions on radiator size, IF USING THE ORIGINAL GRILLE SHELL.

5.B.3 A radiator/grille shell may be sectioned or bobbed, but the width may not be altered.  If switched...not less than 530 sq. in....The radiator shall fill the shell opening..." etc.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
How do you intend to "shorten the height" without sectioning the shell? Thus altering the square area of the radiator? Or are you meaning to just drop it down between the fram rails the same amount as you channel the body? How will that work with the crossmember?

I think it can be sectioned as Mike pointed out above, but I am not certain it would be necessary. Dropping it through the frame rails may be better. Barring any obvious rules issue I think it could be decided when building.

I am putting the finishing touches on a 1/24 scale model of my ideas, I plan to post some pics soon.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
I think it can be sectioned as my 32 shell on my 29 roadster to make it 29 size. But you can and should run this past the SCTA for a good answer. Dropping it would be what I would do. You can only channel the body the width of the frame. That's not a lot on a T

Offline zenndog

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
I think it can be sectioned as my 32 shell on my 29 roadster to make it 29 size. But you can and should run this past the SCTA for a good answer. Dropping it would be what I would do. You can only channel the body the width of the frame. That's not a lot on a T

I don't have my T shell here in Santa Cruz but I am pretty sure a T radiator is already smaller than a 29 grill.

I miss the point. "The body may be channeled to the bottom of the frame."

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »
There's not a lot of room inside that T.  You'd be better off with enough Z in the rear to tuck your tires into the fenders and as much Z in the front as is possible.

Or, angle channel the car: none at the rear (a 2" Z should get it as low as possible, depending on the tire size) and full frame width at the firewall.  Then continue the downward swoop by really lowering the grille to maintain the required "stock panels...mounted in their original relationship to each other."

Lots of options.

Pic is a roadster with 2" Z and ~27" tires, but the fenders should be in exactly the same position on an RPU.

2nd pic: 27 T angle-channeled 1/2 the depth of an A frame.  The T grille is already dropped approx 3/4" on a flat front crossmember and needs to be dropped another 1.5-2" to get the smooth "original relationship" of the body panels.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:02:26 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »
There's not a lot of room inside that T.  You'd be better off with enough Z in the rear to tuck your tires into the fenders and as much Z in the front as is possible.

Or, angle channel the car: none at the rear (a 2" Z should get it as low as possible, depending on the tire size) and full frame width at the firewall.  Then continue the downward swoop by really lowering the grille to maintain the required "stock panels...mounted in their original relationship to each other."

Lots of options.

Pic is a roadster with 2" Z and ~27" tires, but the fenders should be in exactly the same position on an RPU.

2nd pic: 27 T angle-channeled 1/2 the depth of an A frame.  The T grille is already dropped approx 3/4" on a flat front crossmember and needs to be dropped another 1.5-2" to get the smooth "original relationship" of the body panels.

Mike

Strange....the 2nd pic wasn't there when I started the post.

How wide is the T from outside of the fender to outside of the fender?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:09:05 PM by zenndog »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
I know you could get away with dropping the grille shell between the rails if you channel the body.  But sectioning it, even if it's what you read, could be trouble.  There's something in play here called the "spirit of the rule" that may nip you.  I, personally, can't see any advantage in channeling a T in Street Roadster.  All you are doing is shoving the driver, a blustery thing himself, out into the wind.  With a T, you've got him sitting almost upright already.  I don't know from frickin' computer modeling or whatever.  But I do know a little from parts.  The short hood length, the short cabin, the short cab sides, don't make the best StR situation unless Billy Barty, rest his soul, is retained for a driver.

Stan (Cranky) Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline zenndog

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
As usual, thanks for all the great input guys. I appreciate all the feedback.

I am waiting to put my kids to bed and then I will post some pics and you guys can shoot my idea all to pieces. :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
You're way ahead by kicking the frame up in the front and the rear, lowering the Roadster body, putting the floor on top of the frame, and allowing the driver to sit lower than he could with a body channeled over a straight frame.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
Thanks, as always, Professor K, for you response. 

Seems strange (especially in the roadster world) how some cars seemingly get away with blatant disregard of the written rules even thru the protest process, while others are brought up against the unwritten "spirit of the rules".

Ah, well.  No roadsters for me for the time being.

Zenndog, find pictures of the Rocket Science STR.  That seems to be more aero than any other STR.

Mike

Offline zenndog

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:57 AM »
You are all probably right.

My thought was not to try to make the shell smaller for the sake of it. It was more of a case of thinking out loud as I looked at the way the shell reacted to the frame being channeled.

Here are some pics. This was built using a kit and the specific shapes are not exactly like a T but this is more to get a sense of the more radical departure from the norm. I think the "spirit of the rules" is the grim reaper in the case of my idea. Unless I missed something....which is very possible......this is allowed if I interpreted the rules correctly.

Top of page 60, 2012 rules

"Any type of rear end may be used,and widening of the rear tread to allow the tires to protrude beyond the fenders is permitted"

And yes I know I need headlights.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:32:33 AM by zenndog »

Offline zenndog

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
This is only to demonstrate the rear wheels idea and so I could see how it might look.

The model above is not to show how I plan to eliminate all original body reveals, That is the only kit I could find that was a 26/27 T. I think the bed is too short, the fenders are not like a T, the door lines are not there. The body I would use is a real T pickup body and would have all the original features. I built this model in an evening using a model kit and balsa wood.