Author Topic: BAGNELL & CHENOWTH 2012 Bonneville Speedweek CX500tc TURBO  (Read 96616 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: BAGNELL & CHENOWTH 2012 Bonneville Speedweek CX500tc TURBO
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »
What class are you going to run in? My daughter, Delisa Bartholomew, has the record on that bike for the P-PPB and MPS-PBG from 2008.
Looks like you have a great build going and you will get great speed out of that setup.
Good Luck and keep posting
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline edinlr

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
I bought Don's 500 and hope to have it or a 650 turbo out there for Speed Week this year.  I will either be running in production or a modified class.  I have to ditto everything that people are saying about weight.  The turbo will almost reach top speed in 1/4 mile, so weight reduction isn't necessary for acceleration and you could easily find yourself adding weight for traction if you go real fast.  No real tips on making the engine faster as the computer controls boost, fuel, ignition and rpm pretty tight.  By the way, I thought your bike looked pretty good in its "naked" form.

Ed
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
Jacob has been busy fabricating parts. He's been helped by Warren Marlay,
"MR. MARLAY" is the metal shop teacher at Monta Vista High School.

Warren Marlay modifing the new pegs . No one makes parts for the CX Honda so everything has to be made or parts for other bikes have to be modified.

Working side by side on the mills, Jacob & Warren were getting it done between classes. I don't know what was deeper....The metal chips on the floor or the OLD SHOP TEACHER HORROR STORIES

Jacob fabricating new peg mounts to get the rides feet back on the bike.

Jacob switches gears & fires up the lathe. When I asked what he was working on all he had time said was SPACERS....Then the bell rang & the metal shop students started flooding into the shop.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:30:29 AM by bigdaddyusmc »
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
Jacob & Warren got the pegs & mounts finished. Jacob test fit them on the bike. They fit perfect.
Now they will be polished & anodized

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
Jacob had to modify the top of the triple tree to get the GPR stabilizer mounted
Bar mounts were milled off & mounting block was fabricated.
Little finish work & the block will go to be anodized & top triple clamp will go to powder coat

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
Bigdaddy, do you ever interact and answer folks questions when you post such as Don Pearsalls previous question? :roll:

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
Yes I will interact & depending on the question , maybe I will give some answers.....Didn't they tell you this is all TOP SECRET STUFF...
The reason I didn't answer Don's question is, I'm not sure what class / classes we are going to run...... I know we are going to run on gas , most likely partial streamliner.
This project is Jacob's deal. I'm just helping & documenting the build. Been so busy finding parts & making the necessary mods ,  It never crossed my mind to ask Jacob what class this wacky bike will fall into. I figured once we got it to Bonneville ,SCTA would give use 8 or 9 letter to put on the bike & point us down the salt
Right now I don't even know what our number is.... LOL

If you asked me...I think we need to scrap the fuel injection  & run a vintage Y manifold with a pair of strombergs on nitro, but thats just me..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:19:12 PM by bigdaddyusmc »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
Maybe you guys ought to read the Rule Book, get a number, select a class, get a fast-closing Pre-Entry to save some bucks, and step up.  But, then again, there are some other venues where all of this may not count as much.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JimL

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »
Just noticed your clutch basket and trans...does your 500 crank gear have the split design like the non-turbo?  My 680 (and 647) engines originally had the one piece crank gear and same design basket as you show...and have brass thrust washers behind the crank gear.  Perhaps your 500 turbo is similar, but check it out.  Also check the stack width of the 650 trans...in the non-turbos there is a difference and I dont know if that carries through to the turbo models.   I use all 500 clutch/gears-trans in the 650 cases and shim to fit, but use the 650 clutch and gears/trans in the MPS bike.  No turbos for us, though...carbs are enough work.

Lots of good info at the Turbo forum on Chopper Charles site, if you haven't been there yet.

If your luck is no better than mine, with these CX engines.....buy more bikes!!  You'd be amazed how many bikes can go in the trash when you cut them small enough. :wink:

JimL

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
STAN
Thanks for the advice...BUT we already STEPPED UP.....
We have rule book , read it cover to cover a few times , We have a  Number & Class picked out.....
All entry forms have been sent in  . All entry fees paid , running with the SD roadster club ...So we are good.

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
JimL
Thanks for your input on the gears
Jacob is our crew chief---- He will see your post
Jacob has been wrenching on cycles going back to the 50's. I think he has it handled
Thanks Brother , hope to see you at the salt...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:05:44 AM by bigdaddyusmc »

Offline Tman

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:43 AM »
Sounds like you have all the answers then. Keep posting up your spam for your advertisers.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
Actually the "spam" is pretty interesting.  I race the turbo bikes too and it is refreshing to see different ideas and applications for the same problem.  This is pretty light compared to any Nascar driver interview.  I would love to use a GPR stabilizer and this gives me an idea of how to do it.  JimL has provided countless tips that have already saved me a thousand google searches.  Keep it up Bigdaddy, I am cheering you on.
Ed
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Tman

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
Actually the "spam" is pretty interesting.  I race the turbo bikes too and it is refreshing to see different ideas and applications for the same problem.  This is pretty light compared to any Nascar driver interview.  I would love to use a GPR stabilizer and this gives me an idea of how to do it.  JimL has provided countless tips that have already saved me a thousand google searches.  Keep it up Bigdaddy, I am cheering you on.
Ed

It is interesting Ed, that is why I asked about more interaction from the OP. This same thread, verbatim, has been posted on at least 3 boards that I know of. None of which has had anything more than rapid-fire posting of pictures and avoidance of questions.  Bigdaddy, I have nothing against you. I have always dug the CX's so it is fun to see what you are trying to do. 

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Tman
Yes I posted on HAMB & JOCKEY thinking a land speed projected would be accepted. I guess I underestimated the narrow scope of those sites. Before it was pulled from both sites, I received a few comments that the thread didn't fit the board, but they thought the thread was cool ,So I continued posting thinking it would be allowed. First the HAMBergers closed the thread but left the info on the site, so I copied & pasted it to JOCKEY. JOCKEY flat out deleted it & band me for life....LOLOLOL. That is when I found LANDRACING.COM. & copied & pasted it here.  Hopefully we have found a home at landracing.com

As for my rapid fire posting , I had 3 months of info & photos  I want to get posted to get up to date documenting the build . I wasn't avoiding answering question. I just hadn't gone back to read what others had posted.

The term SPAM was toss into this mix... I just want to give credit where credit is due. We are a new team with no sponsors. The people & companies I have mentioned have embraced this build & have given us a smokin deal on parts. If it wasn't for them we would never be as far along as we are & maybe wouldn't make speedweek this year. Hopefully we will get some more help & I will have to spam some more.......I hope that is cool...

I never thought this treard would attract this much interest. I started it so a few frineds & supporters could see what we are doing. I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted & also to those following this build. If your at the salt  for speedweek this year , swing by the San Diego Roadster Club pits & check out the bike.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:45:29 PM by bigdaddyusmc »