Author Topic: Passings  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Passings
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Bob Oppermann passed away last night after a long illness. He was a member of the Gear Grinders and SCTA/BNI. He worked in the timing stand, and emergency trailer. His last car was a Buick straight 8 lakester. Bob was always there to help anyone. This is a hard loss for all that knew him.
GOD SPEED BOB
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:01:56 AM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mkilger

Re: Passings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
Bob will be missed RIP Glen sorry for your loss I know you and Bob were very close.

velocity

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
[img][img]
You may not have ever seen this man, or his wife, Lois on the salt because they spent years working in the timing trailer, all day, every day during Speedweek. Bob would keep an eye on every single racer who hurtled down the long course making sure the run was completed safely. It was he, more often than not, that would detect a problem watching through his high-powered field glasses before anyone else knew there was a problem scrambling fire and ambulance long before the troubled speed machine stopped.

In short, Bob had your back on every run, with trained eyes on you longer that got you assistance possibly before you decided you needed it yourself.

The photo shows Bob on-duty in his timing tower chair and below is his nailhead Buick lakester with him hugging honey pie Lois. That's Chief Starter Bob Higbee in the distance. The shot was taken on record run morning more than a decade ago. The title refers to the fact that Bob and his barber did not see each other often so this picture is an exceptionally rare moment in time. Bob was also known to be paid to get a haircut and even raised money for charity on occasion.

I tell you this about my friend because he crossed his own personal finish line last night. I am saddened but so Dodge glad I knew him and wanted all of you to know him too.

And Lois, here's my cyber hug until I see you again.

LandSpeed Louise
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:08:30 PM by velocity »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Louise, well said. we worked together on the salt and dry lake together for over 25 years. A special friend, RIP and God Speed Bob.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »

Dang..I was just wondring about him this morning, remembering his hair and haircut.

A good guy, R.I.P.

JL222

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:24 PM »
So sorry to hear of Bob's passing Glen. Always remember his white open jeep and his proudly displayed, Gear Grinder decal.
Condolences to Lois and family.
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Troy Cagle

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »
Can someone please post some contact info for services or where I can send a sympathy card (when there's time of course)
Bob was a great guy,& I always enjoyed talking with him.He talked with me quite a few times after my dad passed away,& he had a way about him that everything was going to be ok.
My dad really held him in high regard as well,& he told me this on several occasions. I feel terrible at times for not staying in touch with the LSR crowd after my dad passed,,I got involved in Nostalgia Fuel Drag Racing.
Sorry for everyones loss,,,
R.I.P Mr Opperman

Troy Cagle

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »
Joanie and I are saddened by the news of Bob's passing. We both enjoyed our friendship of Bob and Lois. Bob had many interesting stories of his time with All American Racers and was dedicated to our sport.

God bless Lois and the family,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Troy Cagle

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the phone call Glen.

And I'll echo what's mentioned above in that I knew you guys were very close...hang in there man.

troy

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »
Tis a sad day...................JD...........Bob was my friend
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Losing our LSR founders and heros way too often... Glen, sorry for the loss of your close friend, sorry for the loss of our LSR friend... God Speed Bob
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
When Marlo Treit took Russ Meek's roadster to the Moon Saturday Festival in the LA area he had an engine problem with the tow rig. Opperman

opened his shop for us and we did the repair there. All the tools necessary including jacks, hoist, air and in from the sun.

That was on a Sunday. It took most of the day but he let the "waywards" in off of the street.

Thanks Bob.

That's his dedication to his fellow racers. Lois will be on the Salt this year doing the job that she and Bob have done for a long time.

Bless You, Lois.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
Bob Oppermann was a good guy. RIP and God Speed.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »
I have been very blessed to have met many of the great LSR racers, volunteers, officials and longtime spectators.  Whenever Bob would see me he would say hello and like many fine folks I did not know them by name as often they would just say a quick "good luck Noonan" and I would go on to either race, inspect or teardown..he did so much and we need many more like him.

He was a great guy and will be sorely missed by his family, friends and many racers who knew what he did for many of us..

So very sorry for all of those close to him and his family.

J

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »
Does anyone have contact info for Lois? Joanie wants to send one of her hand made cards and express our thoughts.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth