Author Topic: 1926 Model T XO/VFCC  (Read 61086 times)

Offline swackerle

Re: 1926 Model T XO/VFCC
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 02:23:35 AM »
JD, I had GRP make me one aluminum rod to see if it would fit and it would have taken a lot of work to squeeze it in there.  So instead I found a company called R & R Racing Products and they made me a set of steel rods for a reasonable price.  As reasonable as custom rods can be.  I forget where they are located, but they were very upfront about the time it would take to make the rods and they were done exactly on time.  A very nice product as well, made from a solid billet of steel, one of the few companies out there that have a supply of steel thick enough for a GMC rod.  37 degrees you say?  You're the GMC man, so I trust you.  I have an HEI distributor for the GMC so that will be a big help.

rgn, I hope the nitrous wont be needed, but I am going out to the salt to hunt bear, not rabbit, if I end up needing a little bump, it will be used. :-D

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
  "So instead I found a company called R & R Racing Products and they made me a set of steel rods for a reasonable price.  As reasonable as custom rods can be.  I forget where they are located, ........."

http://rrconnectingrods.com/  Is this the company? 

Ed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »
I would take some scrap of that box section and some of the tubing weld it just like you have and then cut the tube length wise---look at the bottom of the box tube and look to see what kind of heat track you have you should have a nice consistent circle of heat discoloration---if you do not you are not hot enough--you have already said you may need to work on trying to get more heat in the base  box tube than the round tubing---

I second DR. G thoughts on the frame and load above the axle so all the weld have to do is carry the side to side and the fore and aft  or be DODGE strong
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
I'm not the only GMC to run at 37 degrees so we know that works and I use an HEI too. I only adjust when I trying to split hairs on jetting.

I've run a 75-125 shot thru NOS port nozzles and held the button down for 2.5 miles about 10 times back when my son and I ran our 1940 Chev coupe. Went thru a few bottles. We were running 11-1 at the time. I won't say we didn't have a few problems, I still have the welded pistons to prove it. After we ran 152+ at El Mirage and felt the back lifting we decided we had reach the highest speed we could go safely and took it off. I still have the NOS port plate somewhere in the garage.....Good Luck..........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
Doc, what are you seeing? 
On screen, I'm seeing 533x400 pics (the site automagically resizes to maximum 400 pixels high).  The pics are 800x600 on photobucket.   :cheers:
Mike

Just in case somebody wants to write an article about the car and wants some build shots, no-one in particular mind you... :roll: :roll: :roll:

If and when the car gets to the salt there may be Hot Rod mags interested because it's a bit different, has some original ideas and is built by a young bloke.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »
Gotcha!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline swackerle

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
An article about my build you say?  Fame and fortune you say?  Money and beautiful women you say?  Ok, perhaps I am dreaming a bit, but I think most of us wouldn't be on the forum if we didn't dream.  :-D

Well, hopefully this is what you are looking for.

I got my boss's camera and took a few shots, started off alright, pretty standard shots...

Then all of a sudden I started taking some artistic liberties...

And here's one of myself and the shop for good measure.  It's not big and it's full of stuff, but some great projects have rolled out of there and I hope they will continue...

I hope those are big enough.  They are pretty big files.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Sam, it's a interesting project. Lots of hours of work. I will be glad to see it on the salt and see it run. Good job on the photos as well tells a lot on the build. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GH

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
JD, after tuning my GMC on the chassis dyno, we ended up with 34 degrees timing. The turbod, efi seamed to like that better. We dropped timing out of it under boost.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
I  think we ran somewhere between 28-30 with the nitrous. It was the days of a lot of experimenting....Love this build and hope to see it one day.........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline swackerle

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Thanks JD, that info on timing will come in very handy when the time comes to chase a record.  I hope that I don't have to use the nitrous, but it will be installed and ready to be used just incase I need an extra bump.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »
Nice work, keep borrowing your boss's camera, :cheers:

remember to document the shots as you save them, sometime I look at the thousands of shots we have and think "WTF is that supposed to show....?"

Nice work, once again.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
First, I want to say I really like this build! I love the vintage cars, with vintage engines-especially the ones like yours that aren't 'cookie cutter' builds.

I understand about artistic liberties, but your'e running a car with an engine that had high HP capabilities. Therefore, I wonder if you've really thought out that exhaust? It would be cool on a hot rod, but it looks like you would have room to get in inside of the frame rails, and run it where you can take advantage of it?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
I like this build too...because it is different, vintage with an interesting drive line. I cant wait to see it on the salt.

Keep chiping away...its come a long way since those first pictures.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline swackerle

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone!  I keep chipping at it and doing little things here and there.  I am saving up money for the few bigger things that need to be done.  All that safety equipment isn't cheap.

38flattie - you are right that the exhaust could be built with more use of what is available.  It was done in as simple of a manner as possible for the current setup.  I referanced my old books, did some quick garage math and ended up with 28inch primaries being "optimum" before the collector.  If I end up with extra time and tubing, I'll follow Tom Burkland's suggestion of running the pipe back behind the rear window where the vacuum could help pull the exhaust out.

Dr. Goggles -  You are spot on about labeling every picture as what it is suppose to be.  All shots are saved as what they are supposed to be showing.  I work in the electronic media industry so I have developed a habbit of labeling all captured media as it is being loaded onto the computer.