Author Topic: 1926 Model T XO/VFCC  (Read 61069 times)

Offline swackerle

1926 Model T XO/VFCC
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:20:19 AM »
So this is my build.  Its been a crazy adventure so far and there is still a lot of work left.

So it all started with a trying to find an engine for the build.  I needed to stick with a vintage engine so my choices that fit within the rules were somewhat limited.  It took awhile but I found a GMC 302 inline six, only catch was that it was 6hrs away...  so after alittle debate and some phone tag, my dad and I decided to take a day and go pick it up.  We emptied the truck and cleared our day.  6hrs later, we had a 302 in the back of the truck.  Here it is in the garage after I first got it.

It was complete from carb to oil pan, but it was locked up.  I tried everything to get it to turn.  I let it sit with PB blaster for a week, no luck. WD-40 for a week, no luck.  Coca-Cola for another week, no luck.  Not even with a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it.  I popped the head off and it was a mess of rust in there.  I took a hammer and a block of wood to the pistons, but it was to no avail because pistons 3 and 4 were at the bottom of the stroke.  So the engine was torn down the rest of the way, labeled put away.  It took my dad and I with two hammers and two pieces of pipe hitting at the same time to get the stuck pistons out and they didn't come out in one piece.  Also when tearing the engine apart I found that one cylinder had been sleeved.  Things weren't as cherry as I had hoped.

One day my dad and I were passing a junk yard that was within 20 mins of the house, neither of us had been in it because it was small perhaps an acre, and only carried large trucks.  We decided to stop by, the people were very polite and allowed us to go through the yard and sure enough, there were 2 GMC 302s! Within 20 mins of the house!  And they both turned by hand!  I bought them that day and had them home by the end of the week.  Here they are,

I was very happy, I now had 3 somewhat rare engines.  I tore one down and kept the best of the 3 complete for reference and if I end up not needing it, I am sure someone will want it.  The new block was great, I took it and the crank, head and cam to get cleaned and checked at the machine shop.  Here's the specs of what I have done to the engine.

Block bored .125 over
GRP 7.5 inch connecting rods
JE 13 to 1 compression pistons
I personally ported the head
SBS 2.02 intake valve, 1.60 exhaust
Cam will be custom ground, saving up for that right now

In case you use GRP for a connecting rod, they now have a GMC 302 connecting rod and stock bearing provided by me for an example.
Also in case you use JE pistons with a stock head, they have a cylinder cut off from one of the heads, it was was too rusted to use for anything but research.

So the engine is being put together and now I needed focus on the body.  I was looking for anything between 1923 and 1948.  I called almost every junkyard in MD and personally went to the rest.  Everything was either 1 year off or way to gone to be worth working with.  I started driving down old country roads looking for anything in the weeds.  I met a lot of nice people, but no one had what I needed.  One evening I got a call from John The Junkyard Dog, that's what he referred to himself as, he said he might have what I was looking for and he definitely did.  He had a couple of pre 38 coupes and sedans as well as a barn filled with 1900-1930 touring bodies and model t parts.  But sitting outside, was a 1926 Model T coupe.  After some negotiating and some emotional support (he was a classic hoarder) the Model T was in the truck and on route to the house.

Then the work began.

Stock wind shield height,

Current height and future ride height,

Those aren't the actual tires that I plan on using, but it is the right rear end,

I know its a 9 inch and I will loose up to 4% of power through friction, but its what I am most familiar with.

That's what I have so far, I just got 100 feet of 1 5/8 .120 wall tube steel so I am now working on the roll cage.  I'll try to keep the updates coming, but this first post is 4 months of work so it might be alittle slow.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Fordrat31

Re: 1926 Model T XO/VFCC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »
Neat looking project! You said your working on the cage now, so what does the frame look like?

Mike
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »
Looks like a great build. Good luck and tanks for sharing it with us.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
From another inliner, looking good! Keep us updated. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
if you are running near the record how much money would you spend for an additional 4% of power

i can tell you a bunch---get your self a GM 7.5 rear end --- I am a great believer in drivetrain effieciency
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:40:59 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
Sam,

Glad you took my advice and joined up over here. You will get a lot of hints and support from this group.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
Sam --

PM sent.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline swackerle

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Thanks to Stan and Tom for some great advice!  The chassis is being built at the same time that I am building the roll cage.  I am using 2x4 .120 wall rectangle tube for the frame which will be almost 18 ft long (that's as long as my trailer is).  The roll cage will be built on top of that.  Sparky, you are right about drive train efficiency.  I am just more familiar with the 9 inch so that's the route I went with.  If I get some more time and some extra cash I will invest in a 7.5.  Thanks everyone for the help!

-Sam

Offline swackerle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
So I got to work on the frame today.  Here it is in the body (upside down) to test how tight it fits. 

It doesn't look square because of the lens, but it is.  I measured it twice, thrice and then a fourth time before cutting.  Then another few times before and after welding.  Now I gotta flip it over and start welding up mounting points for the body to the chassis.  I want to be able to completely remove the body from the chassis, so I plan on having it bolt to the chassis with grade 8 bolts.  It'll be easier for me to work on as well as easier for the tech inspectors to look at everything that I've done and make sure it's safe.

That's all for now.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
I am looking forward to watching this build

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
Sam, I'm looking forward to this one!

I don't know if you already have 4 bolt mains for that, but if not, Tony has some at a killer price in the classifieds!

What are you running for ignition? I have a Jimmy mag, if you need to borrow it.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
I can't tell if you've completely welded the side rails yet.  If not, it might be a good idea to wall off some portions if you later need to add some weight (buckshot, etc.).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
Kool build, as GMC guy myself, I am looking forward to reading about your build.  Buddy, thanks for the plug on the parts, but I already sold the 4-bolt mains.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline swackerle

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
The community in this forum has been the best!  Everyone is very helpful and is full of valuable (and hard earned) information. 

Too bad those 4 bolt mains have been sold!  If anyone else has a line on another set, please let me know! 

38flattie, you're caddy is awesome!  As for ignition I plan to use a HEI distributor because thats what I am familiar with. 

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
Looking Good. Almost a twin to my car. I also have a 26-7 T Coupe bodied Comp Coupe in (slooowww..) progress. Mine will have Vintage 4 power, hopefully. I have an engine combo that will be on loan for this car. I`d be interested to get some of those discarded body chop sections from you, if you still have `em. My body had a really radical cut when I got it. A bit hard to fit the cage in and still be able to drive. I will send you a few pics if you want. I haven`t posted any on the forum due to computer illiteracy on my end.Good luck with your build.......