Author Topic: First Time to Speedweek?  (Read 24258 times)

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
Re: First Time to Speedweek?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Is camping always allowed at the "bend" and the "foot hills"?  For example, if I'm planning on getting to Bonneville on Thursday the 9th, am I allowed to set up camp then, or do I have to wait until the 11th to camp?  Also, are pop-up campers allowed in these camping areas?  I'm trying to plan my arrangements as well for Speedweek!!

Thank you.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
Camping is allowed, for free, every day of the year.  It's BLM land with no limits or fees, although they do try to enforce a "No glass bottles or fireworks" rule.  There's a "campground" in the foothills northwest of the bend in the road - I'm told.  I've never gone up there.  See for yourself if you like.  BLM is trying to get more of the SpeedWeek folks to head to that spot.

Anything is welcome to camp at the Bend.  I've seen people sleeping in the back or cars, I've seen the zillion-dollar bigger-than-a-bus rigs - and everything in between.  A few minor things about which to think -- if you're parked in the low area on the inside of the bend you'd best hope there's no rain shower.  The surface turns to greasy mud pretty much instantly - and you'll have a difficult time getting out (even in 4WD - trust me, I've tried it).  And - if noise such as partiers and generators and such bothers you - choose a campsite that's towards the hill and not on the inside of the Bend (although you can park far away from the Bend, but in that case, beware of the rains that MIGHT fall.

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Awesome!!  Thank you for the information!  I can't wait to go!!   :cheers:

Offline craigibc

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
I cannot get there till Monday because of my work schedule. I am going as a spectator and not as a driver this year. Should I still go because I am missing the weekend? Or should I wait for a future time to go?

Craig

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Are you going to SpeedWeek to see the race vehicles - or to see the crowds of people?  Seriously - the racers will be there, more or less, and the big crowds will have gone by Monday.  Sure, a number of records may have been set, and the successful teams MIGHT have already left.  And some of the vehicles will have broken and are now sitting in the pits.  But - there's still lots of racing going on - and the folks still there have a bit more time and less hurry, so they might find more time to be hospitable to you.  Go, go, go.  Cheaper lodging, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
. . . and the guys who qualified on Sunday will be making record runs first thing in the morning.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
  ... and as I noticed the first time I went in 1996, a lot of the wise old owl's were sitting in the shade eating fried chicken and drinking cold beer the first two days waiting for the staging lanes to thin out so as not to spend too much time in the sun.
  Pretty smart feller's as I think back to the many hours I have spent "basking" in the sun on Saturday and Sunday over the year's............... 
  Maybe one of these days I will remember to follow their lead, but that damn salt is like a magnet.........
                                           :-D Bob
Bob Drury

Offline ToyCollector

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Great thread, thanks.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Bob --

Put the car in line before the Drivers Meeting.  Can be going home Sunday afternoon.

Stan

(Well, it used to work years ago.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
SpeedWeekend?   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline DanteMc

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
I am making my plans for Speedweek in August 2012 (a couple months out).  Everything in Wendover is booked out and I am fine with staying in Salt Lake City and driving down each day unless there is somewhere closer.  I could spend a day or two visiting Salt Lake City while I'm there. ;) 

I was going to fly into town on Friday the 10th and planned on visiting the 11th through 15th.  Is there any events such as car shows or the like going on the 9th or 10th that I should not miss?  I figure I will be pushing my ADHD limits after two or three days.  Are there other activities later in the week that I should stick around for?

To all previous posters, THANKS for list of must haves to bring!

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
DanteMc

I would say not to miss the chance to see the Treit and Davenport Streamliner live. There are plans underway to arrange for the liner to be at Speedweek 2012. If you have followed any of the build pictures by Freud and Ray The Rat, you know you will redefine your definition of racecar workmanship and craftsmanship, I did. It has taken over 10 years of design and construction to bring the liner to its first debut. In this case, if they arrange to have the liner there, and you viewed some of the build photos, you WILL get a second chance to make a first impression, live. I look forward to a picture of my daughter Rizzy standing along side it on the salt. It would also be my guess if they show up, they will make some runs.

Bill

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »
  ... and as I noticed the first time I went in 1996, a lot of the wise old owl's were sitting in the shade eating fried chicken and drinking cold beer the first two days waiting for the staging lanes to thin out so as not to spend too much time in the sun.
  Pretty smart feller's as I think back to the many hours I have spent "basking" in the sun on Saturday and Sunday over the year's............... 
  Maybe one of these days I will remember to follow their lead, but that Dodge salt is like a magnet.........
                                           :-D Bob

Shouldn't much of that going on now that we have four courses.   :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »
DanteMc

I would say not to miss the chance to see the Treit and Davenport Streamliner live. There are plans underway to arrange for the liner to be at Speedweek 2012. If you have followed any of the build pictures by Freud and Ray The Rat, you know you will redefine your definition of racecar workmanship and craftsmanship, I did. It has taken over 10 years of design and construction to bring the liner to its first debut. In this case, if they arrange to have the liner there, and you viewed some of the build photos, you WILL get a second chance to make a first impression, live. I look forward to a picture of my daughter Rizzy standing along side it on the salt. It would also be my guess if they show up, they will make some runs.

Bill

Hi Bill.  I think that it's pretty unlikely that the Treit & Davenport liner will run at Speedweek.  The plans at the moment are to have it on display during Speedweek, but test runs will be made elsewhere...and somewhat later.  At least that's the plan for the moment.  You can follow the thread in the Build Diary subforum in addition to the website ( www.target550.com ) for more information.  We'll pass stuff on as soon as we get it.

Say Hi to Rizzy for me, k?

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
Ray The Rat - -

Sorry to hear Treit's Streamliner will not make any runs. I'll still be happy to take some pictures.

BTW, the company lost my last coin order from March. After a reorganization of the company, they said they would now start minting my coin order. I plan to have them for Speedweek and should be able to give you that Rizzy Coin package we talked about.

See you on the salt in 2012 at Speedweek and on the course in 2013.

Bill