Author Topic: First Time to Speedweek?  (Read 24286 times)

Offline Freud

Re: First Time to Speedweek?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Stan Back.........

About half way down the main street.

If you are coming from the other direction it's on the opposite side of the street.

They also validate your parking.

You can't miss it.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:26:43 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
Oh, I see.  It's across the street from that other place.  My parking, as you well know, needs validation.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Freud and Stan Back  - -

It is where it is. The bad news is they are only open on the first Wednesday after the second Thursday before Monday afternoon. However, during Speedweek, they do open at Zero - dark thirty. I think that is military time. Too early for me. So who can complain for a dollar?  :?

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:47 PM »
After the rainout at WF last year I bought a pair of bedroom slippers, my only pair of shoes were soaked beyond retrievial. The slippers and two pair of gloves were about $5. I wore two pair of socks and the slippers on the way home, man were my feet cold!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
 I'm thinking about coming out this year and have a few questions. 

Do you just drive up and find a place to camp? ( pickup with camper in the bed )

Does it cost something to camp?

Is there fresh water avalible at the campgrounds? ( 5 gallon jug )

Can you drive you vehicle from the camp into the track?

Is there a place down track that you can go to see the cars when they are up to speed?
Thanks  JC
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline sidecar

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
JC........yes, you can camp in the area of the "bend" in the road......if you stay at the bend you will have plenty of noise, dust, and fireworks.......and mud if it rains.....a move to the "foothills" will give you a  more peaceful nights sleep...no cost...first come first serve for space.....the Sinclair truck stop  is a short distance away and offers food, water, showers and ice.......just follow the black top to the end of the road and a few more miles  out onto the salt and you will be in the general area of the  event....you can get only so close to the course....1/4 mile away from the pits......for the long course......i believe they are trying to limit the spectators from driving down the chase roads that parallel the courses as they tend to go places they should not be in.....i still have room on my entry form for one more crew member so if you want to see it up close and have fun let me know.......2 guys from Ohio were are camp neighbors the last 2 years.....sidecar

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
 You say I can only get 1/4 mile from the pits. I can not go into the pits? JC

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »
Not quite right.  What he said is that the pits (and spectating area) is on the order of a quarter-mile from the course.  You can walk into the pits and go anywhere, but can drive in them only if you're on a crew - it takes an extra pass to get through the gate.  Those are free -- but only for crew.  You can't buy a pit pass, but since it's free to walk in -- no big deal.  Viewing is free and available (and you can drive to it) from the end of the pits (which will be about at the 4 mile marker) for about another mile or so.  Still -- you'll be at lest a quarter mile from the course.  But by the time the race vehicles are at the 4 - they're at or near top speed, so you'll see what you say you want to see.

There's unlimited free camping.  Maybe a hundred acres -- maybe more, depending on how close you want to be to a road.  NO services whatever, save that we've taken to supplying some porta-potties and a garbage rolloff container.  Find a place and put your stuff down.  NO markers or sites -- just acres of open space.

Let's see if anyone else has comments, but in the meantime - we'll see you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
You say I can only get 1/4 mile from the pits. I can not go into the pits? JC
JC, the course is 1/4 mile from the pits. You can go in the pits, of course.  :-D Wayno

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »
 Hey sidecar, I mite be interested in that crew pass. Message me if you want, or email at jcsdezine@aol.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
JC, it was pretty quiet at the Bend last year. The BLM Naz..........I mean rangers were hiding in the bushes and cracking down hard on fireworks and merryment. If only they would have threw cuffs on the idiots in the VW and on 4 wheelers doing donuts after Sunday nights downpour.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:43:53 PM by Tman »

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
 Actually the foot hills don't sound bad to me. Years ago when I first started fuel racing I would camp at the main entrance to the US nationals.  Back then it was out of control for 96+ hours. I would wrench for hours on end on the car, then it was out to the campground for the party. Now I am content sitting under the stars with a cooler of beer and some rock n roll on the radio. But,,,,,, I may take a walk over there.  JC

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
Don't forget to pick up your SHXT or Marty and I will have to- Thanks Steve and Marty

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
 I don't leave Sh$t laying around, I'm from the north.  We have manors and are respectful.  JC
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:46:01 PM by JC Sparks »