Author Topic: First Time to Speedweek?  (Read 24195 times)

Offline TwinSpin

First Time to Speedweek?
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »
I just found some new Bonneville salt in my driveway and it reminded of all the preparation I did for  planning to attend my first time at Bonneville. That small clump of salt under my car reminded me of that quick car wash I did at Wendover as I left Speedweek and the three under the car washes I did when I got back home in Oregon. All the things this forum told me about the salt and sun at Bonneville were true.

Allow this thread to start to prepare Newbies who plan to go to the Bonneville Speedweek so their first time visit can be as rewarding as mine was. I am going back this year and looking to meet a lot of old friends I made last year.

Tell the newbies what to expect and about the friendships that will be made.

See you on the salt, . . . don't forget that sun block and bottle of water.

Bill

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: First Time to Speedweek?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
...and a hat!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
My first time out I flew into salt lake and drove out to the salt in my rental car (another trouble area in itself). I stopped at Wal-Mart in salt lake and picked up some supplies; water, snacks, cooler, and a few fold up chairs. One thing I really wish I had bought though was one of those cheap pop up canopy's. When we were on the salt we were constantly trying to find a shady spot to take a little break from the sun.

So for the first time spectator I would recommend you pick up the following at wally world before heading from Salt Lake to Wendover.

1. Cheap pop up canopy
2. Lots of water/juice/soda
3. Sun screen (since they only allow a tiny bottle on the air plane)
4. A nice big hat!
5. Cheap folding chairs or a sturdy cooler you can sit on
6. The cheapest bike they sell (not really needed but sure would be nice)

Mike

Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
In the forums lists there is a lot of info on getting ready for Bonneville, what to take, how to prep the vehicle before going on the salt , how to clean it afterwards, and the list goes on. For health drink lots of water for sure.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Here's a link to the list of stuff for first-timers, penned by "Bob", whomever that is/was, about 5 years ago.  But -- he credits Glen with the story, so there you have it.  Let me know if the link doesn't work for you - but it did for me when I tested it.  It can be found from the landracing.com home page, "Tech & F A Q" tab in the upper right area of the page, then when you get to the next display -- scroll down and see all of the questions that are answered.  The link is most of the way down that list - but it's there.

http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
The archives are loaded with information and a good way to spend a rainy day.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

penny

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
if you use a rental , when you go to Walmart grab a heap of shopping bags and put you feet into them when you get into the car and drive off. It keeps a lot of salt from the carpet .

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
"The archives are loaded with information and a good way to spend a rainy day."

But Glen - - -

you know it never rains in Wendover or in Indianapolis in the Summer time, (as the song goes) at least not when my fingers are crossed.

If you bring an umbrella tell everyone it is for the sun on a good race day.

Note: I was told last year a good way to get around the pits was to buy a used bicycle at Goodwill in SL City and then sell it to someone at the end of Speedweek. You may even break even in price and your feet will thank you.  :-D

One more good thing to bring the first time is . . . someone who hasn't been there before. That makes for great stories on the trip home.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Note: I was told last year a good way to get around the pits was to buy a used bicycle at Goodwill in SL City and then sell it to someone at the end of Speedweek. You may even break even in price and your feet will thank you.  :-D

A bit of personal insight on that.  I shipped my bike out last year via UPS, flew into SLC, and took the gambling bus to Wendover, where I had made arrangements to pick it up at a local business.  And while it was perfect on groomed surfaces, such as the pit area, when I got off into the crunchies, and on the lesser groomed area between Land's End and the pits, it tended to understeer.  I actually flipped once, and while I'm no worse for the wear, I'm certain it provided a degree of entertainment for someone.

A wider tired trail bike would have been a better choice - mine was an older 10 speed with narrow tires.

It's doable - just be careful.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »
This thread reminded me, I was working under the Truck this week getting ready for Wilmington; I was "blessed" by a chunk of Bonneville while I was hammering loose a bolt (Seized by some Bonneville Locktite) And I haven't been there since 2010!

You can't wash it enough...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
I just remembered something different I tried last year.

I have a basic trailer light connector on my small trailer. It is that black rubber in-line 4 pole plug in. When I disconnected the trailer, I wrapped masking tape over both connector ends to keep any salt out, especially the female side because it is so hard to try and clean inside of those connectors. It worked for me.  :-D

Bill

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
Bill, WD 40 and put the plug in a baggie both plugs, also a 22 cal. gun cleaner brass brush works well for cleaning the female plug.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
Glen - -

I thought being new that I had a good idea. I like yours better, will try that. Oh, the 22 cal. cleaning kit, went on "her list." The BMW street bike went on my list. :cheers:

Offline will6er

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
The Dollar Store in Wendover can be a good resource.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
Where is it?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records