Author Topic: Question on Car & Engine class  (Read 13608 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Question on Car & Engine class
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »
Have you seen the "Street Roadster" for sale in the classified sections?  Something like this would give you a major head-start towards your salt dreams.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11103.0.html

Steve.

Thats a smokin deal. Would be a BIG headstart!

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
I agree with Trent. I worked on the roadster with Bill Henderson during the build. The chassis is done by Rich Manchen, you don't get better than that. The upgrades to 2012 specs would be minor and enough for you and your buds to think you built the car. You could use your engine, car is set up for SBC, and get wheels on the track in a short period of time.

Besides, its a red roadster - whats not to like.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
I just thought of something after I hit post. I live 2 blocks from the car at Tom's house, we are on the same street. I could go over and make a list of needed upgrades if you wish. Offer extends to anyone else who is considering this roadster.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
One thing you need to understand is the rule that says your vehicle must be prepared to the mile-per-hour of the class record.  So if you build a D/Gas Modified Roadster, your safety requirements are the same as the 247 MPH record holder in things like tires, fire systems and driving suits.

Salty,

While Mr. Back is in fact correct I encourage you to read THIS for some enlightenment.  I actually caught some heat from some for what I said but I was only being honest.  No reason to hide the truth and it helps put your goals into perspective.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Nate
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Read the whole thing.  What's happened since 2010?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
AFAIK nothing's changed.  The book still says build to the record but we still issue speed limits to those who tech below the record level.  Again, I'd hate to see this guy build a full tilt car that's built for 250+ when he just wants to run it down the salt with a baby Hemi in someone's memory.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline saltydreams

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the 32 for sale. But we have decided to build a Brookville roadster. Since we have a frame jig for building 32 frames. We are from Texas City which is a refinery town. A good friend of ours owns his own weld shop here in town and is a master welder, so we have someone to fabricate & weld our roll cage. Plus we have a cousin who works for Tenneli Sheet Metal and can help with any metal work we need. Living in a refinery town your whole life has its advantages. The reason we are not going to go with the glass car for sale is we prefer to build our own car plus prefer a steel cars. Half the fun for us is building the car. The other half is seeing how fast you can make it go, knowing you built it from the ground up with your own two hands. We are 45 year old guys who have been building our own cars for 25 years. I wouldn't feel right for us to run a car someone else built. We are gonna put the baby Hemi in my cousins Model A and put a small block in the Brookville. It's only about a 450hp motor but that should be good enough to take on our first time out. We will worry about going really fast later down the road. Since we already have a motor ready to go sitting on the engine stand, we can focus all of our attention on building a car that can pass inspection. I think with the rule book and all the great information on this site we should hopefully be able to pull it off. I would like to thank everyone for all  :-)their positive feedback and look forward to meeting some of you this year. I have the wife looking for lodging, hopefully we can find something close. If not we have a C-6 Vette that we can get down the road pretty quick in if we have to travel a little distance. You guys have a good week-end. If you have anymore good suggestions for me please put them on this post. I check it a few times a day. I am very glad I found this site.
Thanks, Mike  :-)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Have you seen the "Street Roadster" for sale in the classified sections?  Something like this would give you a major head-start towards your salt dreams.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11103.0.html

Steve.

Tom's roadster will put you way ahead of the game, you could PM him for a phone to talk about it.  While it won't be completely hand built by you and your cousin you will be a 1000 hours ahead of where you are.  You will still have a lot of work to do, but it will be doable well within your budget... money saved will go a long way towards finding horsepower...
and you could be racing this year...  :-D

I just thought of something after I hit post. I live 2 blocks from the car at Tom's house, we are on the same street. I could go over and make a list of needed upgrades if you wish. Offer extends to anyone else who is considering this roadster.

DW

Before you write off the Baby Hemi as being uncompetitive you might want to check with Charlie Markley and Harry Hoffman. 348 with a 260 inch motor isn't really all that bad.

Steve, Stainless and DW,

Thanks for the posts regarding the STR I have for sale. I appreciate the help.

Tom G.

Rich,

I thought the 348 mph was done with a destroked DeSoto motor, not a Dodge motor. Although the little Dodge motor did run pretty fast in the Lakesters the Markley's ran.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:21:52 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
Yes it was. But it proves the small hemis arn't stones.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
Mike, you've got the right attitude, build your's & run it. There's a whole $hitpile of people that run the salt with that frame of mind.
If you happen to hurt an SBC it's no big deal, if you scatter your baby hemi, you'll do some cryin for a while.
The Markley-Hoffman guys ran really fast with them & made it look kinda easy, it's not even. Harry Jr ran over 370 with one in D/BFS & it took the Potete-Main extended checkbook to take that record.
Some people can make a hard engine work & some can't keep an easy one alive for long.

I wasn't aware of the 'tech to speed thing' that Nathan was talking about, but I applaud SCTA for that.  :cheers:
  Sid.