Author Topic: The first Ohio Mile, I'm ready  (Read 38100 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: The first Ohio Mile, I'm ready
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
Here is my photobucket link of some of today's car tech inspection in Wilmington.....I hope you enjoy.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Wilmington%20042012/

If some pics seem weird, they are ideas for my LSR Rampage.

Gregg

Thanks for taking the time to take and post your photographs.  Being here at home and not at the event, the pictures mean a lot.  I appreciate your work and your time.  I am partial, of course, to the shots of the 974.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »
Haul Ass and have a safe ride.
Ray c Wheeler
Ray C Wheeler

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
When last I checked there were 67 motorcycle entries and 108 car entries. Rain delayed racing 3 times today. A late start, then a gulley washer at 1230 then just a sprinkle at 4.  Course dried right off with some help from spectators and support vehicles. Steve Van Blarcom went 212 on his second pass. Good spectator crowd with the usual ECTA great fellowship.  Cold / wet still beats a day at work.

Joe

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

Glad to hear they got to race. Hopefully it clears out tonight.

Bill

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
We're all waiting to hear the drivers' / riders' perspectives on the new track!  :-D :-D 8-)

Pete

gkabbt

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
In addition to what Joe posted, Bob Merickle in the yellow and white 689 Metropolitian was the 1st car driver over 200 @213. Then came Van Blarcom about 20 minutes later with the 212 pass. About 45 minutes later Dave Marcus, in a NASCAR Chevrolet, came out with a very impressive pass that I heard was 215. Many cars were making pretty impressive passes but the crosswind really kept many of the bikes restricted to slower speeds.

About 04:30 PM I saw Max (Moxnix) setting up so hopefully there will be audio tomorrow.

Tomorrow is looking promising so hopefully both bike and cars can hit their best.

Sorry, no pics from today as it was just to cold and windy for me to deal with.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:00:15 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
We're all waiting to hear the drivers' / riders' perspectives on the new track!  :-D :-D 8-)

Pete

Pete,

I cannot speak for the drivers / riders about the track but from my perspective it was really cool. With this track (runway) being only about 4 years old, it is grooved for water runoff. When standing anywhere from about 1/4 mile on, and a bike / car is making a pass, the tires just start to sing.....really cool to hear and got my attention every time. It was really more noticible with cars but the bikes would sing a little too.

I was at the timing trailer when Joe Timney came out to congratulate Bob Merickle (689 Metropolitian) on his 213 pass. Joe did ask him if he felt the grooves and Bob came back with he really did not notice it. He said the crosswinds were more noticible and they did push him around a little.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:51:26 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
John,

I saw Hooley make 2 passes, 1 from the starting line and one from about the 3/4 mile. Sorry, but I did not get times on either of thoes runs. It was really cool to see the 974 in person and making passes as I remember the build from several years ago.....REALLY COOL CAR!!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:17:19 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
This place is awesome.. The starting line paint is a bit slick,, I planned to let the push truck get me past the paint before I launched,,, but I got impaitient and nailed it to soon,, as usual I spun pretty good in 1st gear,,, but the new tires (even in damp 40 dergee temps) hooked and booked better from 2nd on,,, got up to 187 before the 3/4 mile marker.. rolled back to maintain speed then had to let off and pull the chute 3oo feet before the traps  to keep from exceeding the 175mph tech limit on first runs.. I went thru at 184.96xx...

I never felt the grooves,,, but the crossing tail wind had me tugging the wheel left into the wind,,, all good ,, the Stude had good manners,,, the shorter shutdown posed no problem,,, I had to let off the brakes and get back in the gas to clear the track at the end,,,

I am sure at 200+  I will need to apply the brakes sooner and more,,,

I will post a video later tonight.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Frank06

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
A few more...

E-Racer

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
Wow what a place. The grooved surface had folks thinking everyone was running a blower (roots). Amy got to #4 in line at the start then the bottom fellout. That was one PO'ed teacher/redhead!! :-o. once the rain stopped the track dried quickly with a little help. then Amy got her first run in the new camaro, her first "real"race car. wooohooo. Met all of our goals for the weekend in 1 pass. Get Her her "D" license :cheers: go over 125mph - 136.4006 if you please didn't blow nuthen up :cheers: Also met alot of local folk who are reaal nice and friendly and saw some old friends as well. On to tomorrow. We will make our first run about 8:30 and Amy says that she is going to "air the car out. She feels it will do 140'ish. She should know :-D Thanks to all that made this happen :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

gkabbt

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »
Frank and Amy,

Good on you guys for getting what you came here to do and sorry I missed "THE RUN".  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

When the bottom dropped out I went into Wilmington and did the Chinese Buffet thing for lunch. When I got back I saw cars drying the track, so I went out and joined them. By the time I did that, then get parked and cars started to run again, Amy was in that group and I did not realize it.

I look forward to seeing her runs tomorrow.

Again, congratulations  :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:43:54 PM by gkabbt »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Critique of the racing surface;
Pre-stage is double line - same as Maxton - located on the taxiway for the runway, excellent concrete.
Starting line staging area is located on the runoff apron. It is big and in excellent condition. 200 x 150'.
The first 20 feet from the starting line has white painted panels that are smooth and dont have the traction that the runway has.
Racing surface (runway) 9000 x 150 feet. It is crowned in the center and has 1/8" grooves 2" apart that run from side to side entire width and carry the rain away from the center. The condition of the concrete is pristine. There is sufficient shutdown if you dont run long. Because it is concrete it is not perfectly smooth but it is close to it.  You dont feel the surface irregularities on a rigid frame motorcycle. From the start to about the 1/2 mile it appears to be level or slightly inclined and than it drops off and descends slightly to the far end. Towns people are nice and appreciative for our presence. Good racing surface and nice venue.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
Wow, this is a great venue.  And an easy 6.5 hour drive from home.  Neither of my aircards would connect, so I ran down to a phone store and got a mobile hotspot for tomorrow, after I watched the afternoon runs.  I'm not sure when the gates open Sunday morning, but I brought 4 laptops with mixing software and will probably just broadcast  CB Channel 1 from the timing tower.  I'll make a note here and on the ECTA facebook page when it's going. 

Meridix is the webcast site, search Landracing, or whatever, link will be Wilmington Opener.

I really like that "best looking Metropolitan in the world."
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/