Author Topic: SolidWorks Help?  (Read 7547 times)

Offline NathanStewart

SolidWorks Help?
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
Hey Guys,

Is there anyone on here that has access to SolidWorks (I do but only at work and it's Saturday :| ) right now?  I'd like to get a simple cutting template made up.  I have a .875" od piece of tubing that I need to put a 17.5 degree bevel cut on.  Actually, I don't care if it's SolidWorks or not... that's just how I'd do it.  A pdf of the flat pattern would be awesome. 

FWIW I'm working on the rear lower shock mounts on the sedan and if I'm totally blowing a good weekend if I don't at least get them tacked in place.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

TIA,

Nate
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Interested Observer

Re: SolidWorks Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
On the OD of the piece the low point of the cut (at 180 degrees from the high point) should be 0.276” below the high point.  The ninety degree locations would be half that, or 0.138”. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
C'mon man, if I needed that small of a cut I would have done it on my belt sander. 

Okay, let me put it another way.  I need a template for a 162.5 degree cut.  Little bit different now, right?

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Eh well yeah that's the other problem... I'm on a Mac.  :roll:  My PC laptop died a while back. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Please tell me God that you don't need a computer to cut the end of a piece of 7/8 inch tube to make it fit!!! I have done numerous complete cages, built several motorcycles, and a couple of cars and have never had to depend on a computer to tell me how to cut a tube to make it fit. Hack saw, grinder, round file, sweat and the old "eye ball" and never had a complaint. Is this what happens when you get old? People just can't figure it out with out a computer???

To old!!! Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
Rex,

I think Nathan's identity has been hijacked, He would never admit to using a Mac in this public forum.(its like admitting your impotent)
And, if he really couldn't get a piece of tubing cut to fit he would beat it into submission or borrow someones machine shop.

As a former employer said once to me, "there is a roll for your diploma to hang on in the crapper, your education starts today"

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 02:21:09 AM »
Jon & Rex, now headlining at your local comedy club: Old Wise Guys.  :roll:  :-P

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
In that case, use 2.775" and 1.387".

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
"...would never admit to using a Mac in this public forum.(its like admitting your impotent)..."  Well, umm, how do I tell you folks that - - this website and Forum are operated from Apple computers?  Things seem to be okay most of the time - I'm not about to switch away from the Mac systems.

Okay, back to Nathan.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
In that case, use 2.775" and 1.387".

Yeah, I did the math and figured that out too but after trying to use a flat straight edge to apply a line to a curved surface a dozen times I gave up.  See unlike Rex, who from the sounds of it would spend hours rough cutting something and then finessing by hand, I like to plan things out and use the resources available to me to get things done quickly, cleanly, and right the first time.  FWIW, I had completely designed my car in AutoCAD before I even cut a single piece of tubing.  I guess that's the engineer in me.  If that some how makes me a lesser builder then so be it. 

And I like Macs because I like having reliable computers. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Well, I got the hook up over on the HAMB.

Thanks for the enthralling conversation guys.  I'm off to the Long Beach Swap Meet and then I'll be back in the garage cutting my tubing.  Maybe I'll have something to show you when I'm done.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
Nathan,
The truth is that I admire you "young" engineers that use Solid Works and CAD as an engineer that missed the "CAD revolution" I am just admitting that I am an old guy. I have seen what can be done with Solid Works and CAD an I am impressed, it is just that it is not in my way to do things. I also design my car completely before making parts but I am a old proponent of "pencil CAD" so my design is on velum and I need an eraser instead of the Delete button to make changes. Come to think of it most of Marlo's Target 550 car was done by "pencil CAD"! There is hope for us old guys yet!!

Looking forward to seeing your project, when I get a little farther down the road on mine I will show it too.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
"...would never admit to using a Mac in this public forum.(its like admitting your impotent)..."  Well, umm, how do I tell you folks that - - this website and Forum are operated from Apple computers?  Things seem to be okay most of the time - I'm not about to switch away from the Mac systems.

Okay, back to Nathan.

Slim,

It is the Ford/Chev thing. I have one here as a door stop because it doesn't have any real engineering software on it. It is like the first CAD system used  comparison.

To be honest, Nathans request in the first post was not clear enough to intelligently support him. In the revised request, the request was better defined but it threw up 2 flags of caution (too many years of working with young engineers and having to correct design).
1. once layout aquired, what method of actually cutting material? rather than saw, use mill?
2. is there enough room to weld completely around that tube with such an acute angle? possible redesign?

I am not Bagging on Nathan, far from it, may His contributions to LSR continue for many years to come.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
John, I agree -- suum cuique.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
OK, I still make make notes in #2 pencil while using SolidWorks.  :-D

SolidWorks flat pattern attached and xls to plot points on graph paper.

And yes, I used that formula before Excel and Lotus 123 existed!  :x

"More than one way to skin a water buffalo and the water buffalo don't like none of them!"   :-o

BTW: The MetalGeek.com is quicker than all!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz