Author Topic: heat shielding fuel lines  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

heat shielding fuel lines
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
In the rules for motorcycles, it states all fuel lines must be heat shielded. Can anyone tell me, does this include the lines inside a sealed airbox?   

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: heat shielding fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
Looking at the rules again (in case I missed something!) the rule states that all "unvalved" portions of the fuel line shall be fireproofed.  As in if you are using (as I do) a fuel pump to get the fuel to the carb, the portion of line from the tank to the fuel pump must be fireproofed.  From the pump to the carb doesn't have to be fireproofed.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
It states that all all unvalved fuel lines need to be fire proof or covered with fire proofing.  It is in case you are on fire and cannot isolate the fuel with a valve, it will give the techs enough time to get you clear of the bike before the fuel in the tank joins the heat and air.  Since the air box could have a fire in it, probably more likely than anywhere else, it would be wise to avoid the fuel line being there or valve it or fire proof it. 

You got back before I hit post, make sure the fuel cannot leak by the pump when shut off. 

Steve  
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »
Cool fuel is good for performance.  The insulating properties of fire shield, when it keeps the fuel lines cooler, is a good thing.

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies, we are running a fuel pump but I will shield all lines. I will also use heat shield on the underneath of the fuel tank to try to stop engine heat radiating into the fuel.