Author Topic: NHRA  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
NHRA
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
I went to the drags yesterday at Las Vegas and noted the crowd was very light. Watching it on ESPN tonight, it's the same with the bleachers only about 70% full. I think a lot is to do with the high price to get in and $4:00 bottles of water and $7:00 hot dogs. Everything else is even more. At least the pits were easier to walk through. Saw and talked to Les Davenport (Marlo's Driver)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:08:35 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mitchell968

Re: NHRA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
last year at sw i saw ron capps at the long course starting line one evening  , spoke with his dad at the nugget , he said ron wanted to get licensed using a friends car this year.?    $6 for a lemonade at nw nationals seattle   :-o

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Stopped going to he drags when We discovered land speed racing. Don't get me wrong,I still dig drag racing but but unless you got a bizzilion dollars drag racing can beat you down. Go figuire LSR is cheeper thanDR. :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »
Thankfully the SCTA hasn't turned landracing into spec classes.  No innovation allowed.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

McRat

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
I love the LVMS dragstrip.  It is perhaps the best track I've ever run at.  (I'm slow though, best ET's of low 9's, 140'ish mph there).  The runout area is uphill, well marked exits, and normally has excellent traction.

Concession prices are crazy at nearly all kinds of events, it's not just drags.  Look at movie theaters.  LACR used to have fair food prices, but it was a racer's track, not a spectator's track for the most part.

One serious LVMS drawback is the winds and the bleachers.  When the crosswind kicks up, and you pass the bleachers, you can teleport (like StarTrek) a few feet to the right instantly.   And if you're naturally aspirated, it's a few tenths slower than sea level, cooler tracks.

HRP (Baytown TX, near Houston) is significantly faster than LVMS, but LVMS is more modern and safer.  If I didn't know better, I'd say HRP is downhill. :D