Author Topic: Fiat-Simca bodies  (Read 18093 times)

Offline indymike

• New folks
Fiat-Simca bodies
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
Is the '48 era Fiat body legal in altered coupe classes. I'm asking for a friend of mine who is not familiar at all about LSR. I have seen them in CC classes. But in the altered classes the wheelbase has to be pretty close to the original which would be awful short. Would this be do-able (spelling) in one of the lower classes or not.
Indymike
Have been very interested in LSR for as long as I can remember. Went to my first dry lakes meet with Lynn Goodfellow in 1959 or 60. Went to school with Lynn and Dan Warner so I was caught up in the whole So. Cal. scene of the '60's. I built a few cars of my own but just do small racing projects now. Would love to take something to B-ville someday ( I haven't run there since 1975)
but I really don't think that will happen. I get pleasure keeping up with everything going on with the lakes and B-ville.

Offline dw230

Re: Fiat-Simca bodies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
Mike,

You can use the Fiat if you wish. The problem would be the wheelbase. You are restricted to keeping all the body panels in OEM configuration, meaning that you cannot extend the body for a longer wheelbase. A small car for sure but, look at the records, Hondata has run most of the small displacement classes over 200 MPH with good horsepower and better aero. Using a vintage engine would be a better choice. V4 or V4F will fit better than a GMC.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
Before I get beat up I should clarify my previous post.

The Fiat cannot be used in the Modified Category, Altered classes because of the year break restriction. This cat/class starts at 1981. Move to the Classic Category/Altered classes there are no V4/V4F engine breaks. The lowest engine break is now F, up to 183 cid, new for 2012. The Fiat could run in the Vintage Category but must use a vintage engine, this is where my V4/V4F comment was in my mind.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Was a topolino considered a sports car? Could it be a modified sports? I believe it was a 2 seater. I can picture a chopped fiat with an exteneded front end, narrow front track, no front fenders. Could make a good LS car.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
Do I remember correctly that George Field's #125 CC is a Sinca body?  And there's also Rex Svoboda's whatever - another CC.  I don't have photos here - they're at the house 'puter - but if you want to see 'em I'll get them for you tonight or tomorrow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
Fiat/Simca related question. What happened to the one that was featured as a build-up in Street Rodder 20 or so years ago that had a Quad four engine? I believe it was candy blue when they finished it?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
I think Rex's started life as a SAAB.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Jay Storer's blue Fiat went the way of all race cars. I think it was bought by someone then lay still born. I don't remember it being run again, even with a different color. Nice car.

DW

PS - Dean, send an email to Jim Miller. He needs something to spin him up. Check the note at the end of the Comp Coupe writeup. The car is one or the other, can't be both.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
Jay Storer's blue Fiat went the way of all race cars. I think it was bought by someone then lay still born. I don't remember it being run again, even with a different color. Nice car.

DW

PS - Dean, send an email to Jim Miller. He needs something to spin him up. Check the note at the end of the Comp Coupe writeup. The car is one or the other, can't be both.

DW

Thanks for the notes Dan, I am going to dig out those SRM issues and re-read them!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
Fred, now that you mention it -- you're right.  Rex's car did begin as a Saab.  It's now a treasured memento -- since Saab, the corporation, has gone under.  R I P Swedish carmakers.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
  Maybe a Simca with a Buick straight 8. Probably light enough to run direct drive. Would that be a handfull?
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline indymike

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I only have pictures of my friend's Fiat (stock frame and running gear). The hood is missing but looks pretty aero for what it is. The straight 8 sounds kinda' hairy (about as long as the car). With a tube frame, a proper engine and the right suspension this could be an interesting deal.
I guess if the Hondata can stay on it's wheels at 2 bills it might be a possible project. Just might have to find somebody to drive it. Dan?
Have been very interested in LSR for as long as I can remember. Went to my first dry lakes meet with Lynn Goodfellow in 1959 or 60. Went to school with Lynn and Dan Warner so I was caught up in the whole So. Cal. scene of the '60's. I built a few cars of my own but just do small racing projects now. Would love to take something to B-ville someday ( I haven't run there since 1975)
but I really don't think that will happen. I get pleasure keeping up with everything going on with the lakes and B-ville.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »
Trent and Dan--Thanks for your kind comments on our Simca. I was Jay`s partner in the car, although I contributed fabrication, legwork, some tuning and driving rather than cash. Still broke, actually....We ran the car at El Mirage and set the F/GCC Record in `89, then managed to set the F/FCC Record at the Salt in `91. Only 166 and change, that record stood until `09, I think, when the Crosley Boys took it. The next year,(`10, ) Miriam blasted the record out of the atmosphere....I moved to Portland in `94, and couldn`t help run the car. I also couldn`t buy Jay out, so the Car was sold to a gentleman in Texas. He is involved with a different kind of Racing, and essentially uses the car as an Office Decoration. Jay did call him a couple of years ago to try to buy it back, but without success. Pity. The Quad Four wasn`t worked all the way, and I know it had Red Hat potential.....I still treasure the Record Certs and the one Trophy I have. Those were great times, for sure....

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 01:49:14 AM »
Trent and Dan--Thanks for your kind comments on our Simca. I was Jay`s partner in the car, although I contributed fabrication, legwork, some tuning and driving rather than cash. Still broke, actually....We ran the car at El Mirage and set the F/GCC Record in `89, then managed to set the F/FCC Record at the Salt in `91. Only 166 and change, that record stood until `09, I think, when the Crosley Boys took it. The next year,(`10, ) Miriam blasted the record out of the atmosphere....I moved to Portland in `94, and couldn`t help run the car. I also couldn`t buy Jay out, so the Car was sold to a gentleman in Texas. He is involved with a different kind of Racing, and essentially uses the car as an Office Decoration. Jay did call him a couple of years ago to try to buy it back, but without success. Pity. The Quad Four wasn`t worked all the way, and I know it had Red Hat potential.....I still treasure the Record Certs and the one Trophy I have. Those were great times, for sure....

WOW! Thanks Paul. At 42 I am cursed with a photographic memory. I rememeber the door blowing open at speed? That was one of the coolest cars EVER IMHO. Enjoyed the build writeup (when SRM actually did them)