Author Topic: Anyone use Ultra One for Rust Removal?  (Read 4249 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Anyone use Ultra One for Rust Removal?
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
I tried a search for Ultra One on this site but did not find any mention of Ultra One rust remover. Has anyone tried it?
The photos and videos on their site are amazing.
Here is the site: http://www.safestrustremover.com/. Check out the before and after of the 1957 Plymouth rust-mobile. It's not terribly expensive at $25/gallon and it is reusable.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Anyone use Ultra One for Rust Removal?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 03:55:49 PM »
Don, I think Karl, Entropy, used this and raved about it.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
I have been using a product called "Metal Rescue" available @ Menard's for ~$25/gallon.   Part #WH290487    Been happy with it for rust removal on cast iron parts.   I believe it is a 'chelation' (?) process product.   Enviromentally friendly, low health risk, no special requirements for disposal.   Chelation only dissolves the rust.   Only downside I know of is that temperature of the solution & exposure time of the part, BOTH have to be closely controlled.   Their Web site is: www.workshophero.com   There are also some other chelation solution products available as concentrates.   I have not used any yet.   But you don't pay the high $/gal price for the dilution water or the shipping cost of the added water.    The concentrates must be diluted with water to activate them.

I am much happier with this than the acid based products I have used before.   With acid it is VERY difficult to neutralize the action; it is hazardous to humans, pets, flora, etc; and can badly damage iron parts if over exposed.   The fumes from acid solutions can rust everything in your shop.   The other problem is acid desolves everything.

I have also used alkaline based 'hot tank' solutions when I worked at auto machine shops.   They work well when new, but after removing a lot of grease & gunk, the derusting aspect is compromised.    There used to be high alkaline content 'rust digesters' (essentially concentrated hot tank solution), but I understand they are no longer available.    Outside of a 55 gal drum with a drum heater, alkaline solutions dont' work well in a small unvented shop.   And, as above, hot tank fumes can rust everything.

There is a lot of info out on the web about derusting iron & steel.   "Caveat Emptor"    I use something easily replaced or that I am willing to sacrifice when working with a new process...............

Hope this helps,
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
  I have been using a product called Evap-o-rust. It's enviro friendly and you can put your hands in it. It is said to be reusable. I have used it several times and bolts etc. left overnight are grey steel colored the next day and other than the pitting that the rust already has caused, I saw no other metal removal or damage. No bad smells either. Available at several outlets including Harbor Freight.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
I dropped by Harbor Freight and picked up a gallon of Evap-o-rust and was very happy with its results. Had some rusty tooling and parts for my new Bridgeport and it really did a nice job. One thing to remember on all of these rust removers is that if you are trying to take rust off of something that is black oxided (my tooling) it also removes the black oxide, do don't use it on rust on guns or you will have a bare metal spot on your favorite shooter. After removing from Evap-o-rust I dropped parts into a bucket of water and then air dried and generously coating of WD-40.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
Rex:

PM sent.

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Pete,
Got your PM and your are correct about WD not being a good rust inhibitor but that is all I had at the time, so I am getting something more substantial this week end.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.