Author Topic: 2nd gearbox option (and other driveline questions) for a motorcycle streamliner  (Read 8494 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Baker Drivetrain in USA makes some strong trannys for Harleys.  They make a 6-speed.

as does jims. along with a fat 5 overdrive.
all parts are made in the u.s.
not too sure about anyone else.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Freud

What Ducati rider would use Harley anything?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013

FREUD

very good question.

I was pushing an all usa trans.
jim's might be the only 1 out there.
not sure if hd doesn't have offshore parts in theirs.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline wobblywalrus

The advantage to the Jim's, Baker, etc and all of the harleycentric stuff is the availability to get clutches, drive systems, sprockets, etc for them.  Lots of choices and interchangeability.  Hopped up HD's are hard on drive components.  Parts that work for them tend to be OK for a lot of other stuff.

Offline superleggera

I couldn't tell one HD from another -- but I do know there are some good aftermarket parts out there.  No difference to me as long as it works.  (I already have a full toolbox of metric and american tools)
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Jon

When selecting a trans for a Joey you need to multiply max torque of your planned future engine by the ratio of your lowest gear plus any reduction between original gearbox output and Joey input.

It can add up pretty quickly, a gearbox that would normally handle the motor as a primay won't stand a chance as a Joey.

Cheers
jon
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:53:04 AM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Koncretekid

Torque applied to the "Joey" will diminish as the primary is shifted thru its range.  My guess is that if the bike is being built for Bonneville, the higher torque available in the lower gears will never be realized, as the traction of the salt will be the limiting factor.  It doesn't take that much horsepower to get up to 100 mph, and by then the "Joey" should be in its strongest (high) gear.  Once you're above 3rd gear in your primary, a Harley transmission should be able to stand the available torque. I don't know if it will stand the RPM's, as Harleys don't turn up that fast! Just don't try this combination at the drag strip.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Freud

It seems to me that a first timer on the Salt need not worry about anything as complex as a two transmission bike,

especially when they want to license riders. Bring the bike, bring some jetting, a few chains and chain lube and get

the feel of the course. You should be able to license two or three riders to above 175 MPH and that would be a

very good first year. There's noting disgraceful about riding a stocker. In fact it makes a lot of sense.

My TZ750 Yamaha qualified for long course the first year out.

Dream about the moon but at least get to Lands End.

Been there and done that.

I'm somewhat of base. The post was regarding a streamliner. SORRY. I was thinking solo but it still applies.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:26:57 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Jon

What FREUD said, leave room if you want, even put a countershaft in its place if you dint want to flip you back hub later but KISS it till you need it.

The $ for a Joey will fund a lot of other stuff.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Tman

It seems to me that a first timer on the Salt need not worry about anything as complex as a two transmission bike,

especially when they want to license riders. Bring the bike, bring some jetting, a few chains and chain lube and get

the feel of the course. You should be able to license two or three riders to above 175 MPH and that would be a

very good first year. There's noting disgraceful about riding a stocker. In fact it makes a lot of sense.

My TZ750 Yamaha qualified for long course the first year out.

Dream about the moon but at least get to Lands End.

Been there and done that.

I'm somewhat of base. The post was regarding a streamliner. SORRY. I was thinking solo but it still applies.

FREUD
Thats what we did last year AND this year with the #416 Unibody Ford peekup. Good advise!

Offline Freud

FREUD

CORRECTION:

I'm somewhat OFF base. The post is about a streamliner.

Sorry I didn't proof read.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

Trie again.  Proofread iz won werd.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records