Author Topic: New Indy cars  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Tman

Re: New Indy cars
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

I CAN NOT believe how ugly the new F1 cars are, you hit the nail on the head Ray!

I agree!

Glen, back to the first post. I REALLY like the looks of the new Indycars. It was funny listening to the Euro F1 snobs chat about them during the race.

I like 'em, too.  I didn't think I'd be too crazy about 'em, but they're not bad at all.  A lot better than the current crop of F1 cars with their gargoyles, crenelated turrets and flying buttresses....or whatever other architectural nightmares they tack onto the bodies.  I also like the way the side/rear pods otta prevent a lotta wheel-wheel contact and keep Dario Franchitti from gettin airborne when he runs over someone's rear tire again.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
F1 2012

F1 1978

Indycar 2012

Didn't they always say the form follows function? Bazillions of dollars of engineers working with CFD and wind tunnels leads to this.
F1 restraints have lead to this design. Unrestricted you would have a wing the size of New York that folded to nothing on the straights.
The current 18,000 rpm limitation (limitation!!) prevents them from going to the 22,000 rpm of the past, that would be much higher now.
Jimmy Johnson was in trouble for a minor disagreement over the C pillar. These guys are pushing the rules every time they run.
If you missed the F1 race this last weekend you missed a real show. Rain sure makes for fun racing.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I don't think open-wheel racing cars ever exceeded the beauty of this era.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
What I don't like in both series is the arbitrated limited use of some devices, as I understand it.  Press(?) to pass.  Modify your wing in turns 2 and 6 if you're one lap out of the pits.  Turn on the motor, but only over here and here.  Either have them or don't.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
OK Neil,

Now the dust up starts! And, I'm SURE someone will disagree. However, this sums it up for me.

I found this on auto racing memories and want to give them credit for the photo.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Tman

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
Dean, that isn't even the final version of the 012 Indy car that ended up with cleaner bodywork in front of the rear wheels

I watched the last 4 minutes of the 79 French grand Prix today, Villenuve bumping tires and throwing passes that had his eyballs stuck to the visor from late decelleration. Amazing.

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
OK Neil,

Now the dust up starts! And, I'm SURE someone will disagree. However, this sums it up for me.

I found this on auto racing memories and want to give them credit for the photo.

Skip Pipes

Great transitional time, looks like 63ish? Mickey Thompson ran a weird car with 12" tires around that time. HRM had a great story on all the tires sizes being tried. From the old 18's to 15,16 and his little roller skate tires.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
How about this car for Indy?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
If any of you guys ever get to Indianapolis DON"T miss the Speedway Museum. It'll blow your mind!

Pete

Offline jdincau

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
If any of you guys ever get to Indianapolis DON"T miss the Speedway Museum. It'll blow your mind!

Pete
The Rudi Caracciola trophy case is unbelevable, virtually every trophy he ever won in both Europe and the Americas and they are beautys.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
OK Neil,

Skip Pipes

Well, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow..."Everybody to their own taste."  :-D

The era of the GP cars that I posted a picture of ( I took this at the 1962 German GP at the Nurburgring) seem to me to have an unparalled aesthetic beauty of form that stands alone.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:15 AM »
Haha, Thanks Neil, now that was funny!  :cheers:
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
Consider yourself lucky you participate in the most open form of racing on the planet.

NASCAR has restrictor plates and templates, F1 has batteries and motors and wings that open oh my.

It all comes down to numbers. F1 is massively popular, but spent years where the only pass took place in the pits.
Spectators don't want to see a parade. When the rules end up so that a parade happens, then push-to-pass comes to play.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
I don't think open-wheel racing cars ever exceeded the beauty of this era.

The era of the GP cars that I posted a picture of ( I took this at the 1962 German GP at the Nurburgring) seem to me to have an unparalled aesthetic beauty of form that stands alone.

Can I get an "Amen?"

The last open wheel series I paid any attention to was Formula 5000.  I'll have to dig it up, but somewhere I've got a picture of Mark Donohue screaming down the Moraine Sweep toward turn 5 at Road America in the AMC powered Lola.  But even by that time, open wheel cars were becoming less elegant.

Neil, with me, you're preaching to the converted.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: