Author Topic: Be my wind tunnel  (Read 2739 times)

Offline garrell patterson

Be my wind tunnel
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
I was going down the interstate today and a pickup passed to my left and it had a contoured to the hood, bug screen. We know that when traveling some bugs hit the screen but the majority are swept up over the windshield. Would this not make the front of a pickup more aerodynamic by taking pressure off the cowl area and windshield, but it would add a small additional frontal area. I run in a production pickup class, would this be legal, I checked and a screen is available through both GM and Ford?

Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Be my wind tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
I believe that "frontal area" (when discussing aerodynamic drag force on a vehicle) refers to the overall cross-sectional area (as viewed from front or rear).
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
Not under SCTA rules. YMMV with ECTA and LTA. Texas - who knows, not many rules.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
From what Ive read they hurt gas mileage so Id guess it would be a no on helping aero

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »
99 percent sure that wouldn't fly with the ECTA either in production and I am doubtful it would allowed in any other class except the street legal T/O classes.  I haven't had one on my vehicles in a long time as they usually interfered with the effectivenessmy wipers effectiveness but it was always fun driving with one in a snow squall and watching the flurries change path and float around in the dead zone a bit.  I don't believe I ever got any measurable aero/mpg gains from one though.