Author Topic: BBC on the Aussie Invader  (Read 9291 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
BBC on the Aussie Invader
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16901484

Sure would be nice if the US media would pay this kind of attention to the NAE team.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ski123

Re: BBC on the Aussie Invader
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
I would not put any blame on the media.
They report what they find to be exciting,
be it an election, fast car, or movie star.
It's hard but sometimes you have to sell
yourself, if you can't, get help.  What I
really mean is you need to spend money
to make money.  Start small, think big.
Or in your case think quick!  Go USA!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:01:50 AM »
I would not put any blame on the media.
They report what they find to be exciting,
be it an election, fast car, or movie star.
It's hard but sometimes you have to sell
yourself, if you can't, get help.  What I
really mean is you need to spend money
to make money.  Start small, think big.
Or in your case think quick!  Go USA!

Well, my thought is this - I catch the BBC broadcast on the radio at work, and occasionally on PBS on the tube.  They have found what would be described as an international competition between the Aussies and Great Britain - akin to "The Ashes" in Cricket - so they have an angle that they can use to create interest in British and Australian audiences.  With respect to absolute land speed records, it has always been a point of national pride to the Brits, so it makes an interesting story.  If you notice after the video I posted, the BBC references three other videos regarding the Bloodhound.

I find it disappointing that the United States and Canadian media is more interested in the Kardashians than what could be a focal point of international pride with the North American Eagle team.  Now THERE's a real-life Horatio Alger story that should have legs, and yet it languishes in the news room.

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
But the leftist media thinks we are evil and owe the world an apology :roll: Why should be proud of all the disasters we have helped with and wars we have fought to free citizens from oppresssion?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
But the leftist media thinks we are evil and owe the world an apology :roll: Why should be proud of all the disasters we have helped with and wars we have fought to free citizens from oppresssion?

Actually, I would think this would be gold for Fox news.

But oddly enough, going through the archives, NPR has actually run 4 reports on the Bonneville Salt Flats, one addressing the issue of the diminishing salt in 1995, and another which featured Betty Burkland.  Regarding LSR, NPR seems to get it.

Personally, I'm not buying the left-right argument on this particular topic.  What we have, to my way of thinking, is a classic "American Hotrod Know-how" vs. the world story.  Any US based news organization that can't see that isn't paying attention.  I think that's where the problem lies.

:cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
Let's face it-- racing gets little or no coverage until there is a hideous accident. Then it degenerates into hand-wringing and calls for outlawing racing.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:23 PM »

Actually, I would think this would be gold for Fox news.

But oddly enough, going through the archives, NPR has actually run 4 reports on the Bonneville Salt Flats, one addressing the issue of the diminishing salt in 1995, and another which featured Betty Burkland.  Regarding LSR, NPR seems to get it.

Personally, I'm not buying the left-right argument on this particular topic.  What we have, to my way of thinking, is a classic "American Hotrod Know-how" vs. the world story.  Any US based news organization that can't see that isn't paying attention.  I think that's where the problem lies.

:cheers:

I think it more shows that journalists are clueless. I am embarassed I studied journalism (with an advertising degree) I too have heard great stories about Americana and Blue Highways from NPR.

Offline ski123

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Ok, you can blast me all you want.  The real problem is that the
NAE doesn't have the ability to promote their own project.
Ed, and his crew are racers and speed freaks they spend all
of their time and money on the things they do well, that's OK.
They need direction on how to get more exposure, they have
done what they can with their skill set.  What they need to do
now is to raise a little money and hand it over to a marketing
professional.  The magazine articles were Ok but people want
to see some results before the kick down more dollars.  When
the NAE had it's last few training sessions they kept it a
secret, and didn't tell anybody.   Hello, the media wants to
show people something awsome, not a plea for more money.
NAE has the car, the team, the time, and the desire but the
missing link is beyond what they can do.  You need to spend
money on marketing help before you can move forward.
I understand it is gut wrenching to write somebody else a
check, but it will pay off for you!
Have you ever looked into sponsorship with Go Fast Sports?
The owner is the ultimate speed freak, check it out!
Good luck!  Drive Fast!  WIN.....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:14:54 AM »
ski123, I think your point is probably valid, although I don't know for sure what work has been done on the promotion end of NAE.

I'll admit the contrast appears to be rather stark.  

Have you been to the Bloodhound SSC website?  Directly below the picture of the car there is a countdown clock sponsored by Rolex.  Click on that link and you can find a dealer who will sell you a watch that costs more than the amount that the NAE team is trying to scrape up to test at Edwards.

But when you click on the sponsor's links on the NAE site, it looks like a bunch of business cards cut and pasted into a program for a community theater production of "Our Town".  Same goes for the Aussie Invader site.

While I know that the NAE team is fighting for every penny they can get their hands on, with respect to media coverage, I don’t think it’s all just money.  I suspect a lot of it is cultural and historical.  

Great Britain has always been keen on international records.  Of the six 200 MPH Club members who established their records before WWII, five were British.  The 1950's saw MG and Austin Healey using Bonneville as their summer vacation destination and if you go through the FIA records, you'll see a lot of endurance records from the BMC teams still standing.

The BBC covering this rivalry between the Aussies and the Brits is just continuing a pattern of practice that goes back to the first playing of “The Ashes”.

The American approach to LSR has more often been more individualistic, and expanding on the ethic/myth of the do-it-yourselfer with promotional skills.  Andy Granatelli and Mickey Thompson come to mind, and it would certainly be nice if the NAE team had the self-promotion talents of either of these two men.  But with Granatelli and Thompson, their racing efforts were integral to their business efforts, whereas NAE doesn’t sell oil additives or poorly designed headers.

From a press standpoint, the NAE team is behind the curve.  We’ve all read the articles in “Hot Rod”, but that’s preaching to the converted.  I want to see an article in “People”, or a report on the “NBC Evening News”.

So perhaps a good PR firm could make a difference.  They would be calling the news outlets, the feature writers, faxing off the press releases, arranging the meet-and-greats at Pep Boys, pestering the 60 Minutes team, working the RC Cola limited edition cans deal.  They would also be chatting up the sponsors they already have about cooperative efforts to help promote the sponsor’s products with high profile NAE related events, where the sponsor’s vendors and customers could also take a look.  It can be done.

And it is an unending effort.

The big advantage that the NAE team has is that the car has actually turned a wheel on the ground, and that needs to be capitalized upon before it’s eclipsed by images of the Bloodhound being packed into a cargo bay on its way to wherever.  

An apt phrase I picked up from Dr. Goggles was, "Punching above their weight".  I'm pretty certain he was talking about another English speaking country where folks drive on the left hand side of the road, but the phrase rings true.  And in what needs to be drawn as an international challenge, the NAE team needs to stand up and declare itself the greatest – a bit more Cassius Clay, a little less Henry Cooper.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:39:21 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline ski123

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
MM^   Very well put.  My favorite line is .."preaching to the converted."
I believe there are people who are willing to help, they just need
to find them and get them on board quickly. Go fast USA!

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
MM, a very good line of thought put to keyboard.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
These are all very good points and worth listening to. We're currently trying to figure out how to become marketing guys instead of engineers.
With Valerie on board, things are beginning to move ahead. The car is ready, we're pretty close to getting permits to run at one or two locations
but money is the issue. We do have some new inquires about a TV documentary so that will go a long way toward finding a serious sponsor.
The British do have the support of their government but ours isn't to keen on this land speed stuff. We need a politician in our corner.........
Ed

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
For God's sake-- keep the politicians OUT of your corner!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:20 AM »
Oh come on, you know that the government is here to help!  :evil:
Ed

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »